The Status of Overlanding Today

Is overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel today?

• Yes

Votes: 185 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

nickw

Adventurer
Am I missing something? Looks like a fun jeep to me.
Fun - sure, over the top, sure. Who are we to judge - I get it, but at the same time I see these things all over and you and I both know they are just an excuse to tinker and fill that OCD void in many peoples lives these days vs being useful or practical. Nothing wrong with that - I think the OP was just kinda calling it as he sees it.

lost1

I think the term "overlanding" needed a re-think when the guns and ammo crowd climbed onboard and attempted to justify the need/practicality/utility of carrying weapons for travel whether it be across borders or exploring new horizons. Today I picked up an "overland" magazine which was half full of gun ads.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think the term "overlanding" needed a re-think when the guns and ammo crowd climbed onboard and attempted to justify the need/practicality/utility of carrying weapons for travel whether it be across borders or exploring new horizons. Today I picked up an "overland" magazine which was half full of gun ads.
Perhaps that’s their target market, we’re the gun ads offensive?

tacollie

Glamper
I think that depends on where "outdoors" is. Here in the outback of Nevada I'd say pretty close to 100% of the folks I meet out there are armed.
Probably more true for vehicle based recreation. I was including back packing and bike packing. I carry one when we are back packing in grizzly country. I don't know if I've ever carried one backpacking in Colorado, Utah, or Arizona. I don't know anyone that carries a gun bike packing. My friends/family who are into guns and shooting typically loathe roughing it in the woods🤣

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Probably more true for vehicle based recreation. I was including back packing and bike packing. I carry one when we are back packing in grizzly country. I don't know if I've ever carried one backpacking in Colorado, Utah, or Arizona. I don't know anyone that carries a gun bike packing. My friends/family who are into guns and shooting typically loathe roughing it in the woods🤣
There's a cottage industry of backcountry hunters who'd disagree that light and ultralight backpacking is not compatible with firearms.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
UBCO has fully embraced the whole bike/hunting/gun thing.....IMG_5960.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12