The Status of Overlanding Today

Is overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel today?

• Yes

Votes: 185 93.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 6.6%

• Total voters

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For me it's not so much wild animals...its irrational, crazy people. Especially druggies. I was hiking up a really rugged canyon bottom not 5 miles from my house a few years ago and ran into a hidden marijuana farm. Many news reports of how those people kill intruders.
Go read the “War in the Woods” its a book written by a CA game warden based in Santa Rosa CA. Those grows don’t need to be way out in the nether lands. We had one about 1/2 mile from our house were 12miles as the crow flies from Market street San Francisco. Over 1000 houses were given a shelter in place lock up order. And we had Coast Guard, National Guard and Sheriff’s air support all dropping fully kitted out military spec swat members in several locations to hem in the growers. September and October are the big harvest months and when enforcement typically targets known grows. The grow near us was surrounded by heavy poison oak no one was going to accidentally stumble on to it. “Thats a typical tactic used by the growers” to avoid accidental hikers wandering into their grow. 👍. Most are heavily armed the law enforcement guys even on known sites don’t go near them till they have overwhelming fire power organized for a raid. A poor hiker with his 9mm is going to get ventilated if he pulls it.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Never said anything about being afraid of a gun but, wow your assumptions about cowardice to a portal and internet is a good one. This gives me hope in your mental faculty to make criticial life/death decisions with a weapon. Try crossing a border to see how impressed others may be with your tool or is your "overlanding" limited to your state.
International borders you will have to find an alternate self defense method or technique, state to state, there aren't too many issues

MiamiC70

Well then I guess they reached one of their target audience, congratulations cowboy enjoy the gun pics. And now for the non-gun toting overlanders who actually cross borders can we please have content relevant to the expedition portal.
When did you first identify as gender fluid? Can you point to us on the doll where the evil gun touched you? We’re still waiting.

lost1

International borders you will have to find an alternate self defense method or technique, state to state, there aren't too many issues
For the international borders you could take Miami01 with you, appears he could use the exposure. May have some issues with his non-gender lovie doll and evil gun though. 😁

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Ok. I think I get it. You are referring to main stream US media?

Yeah, as if Canada doesn't have the same type of narrative driven garbage news system.

You just have fun in your sad little world of fear, being afraid of inanimate objects and spouting nonsense on the internet.

lost1

So thanks to a small select group it appears in the context of OVERLANDING we have identified cowardice as a gender fluid, unarmed person (admittedly not afraid of guns) that uses US based MSM-Main Stream Media fear-mongering language (example: cowboy and gun-toting), and an aversion to demonstrating on a doll where gun(s) may have touched them.
So what are you afraid of?

lost1

Yeah, as if Canada doesn't have the same type of narrative driven garbage news system.

You just have fun in your sad little world of fear, being afraid of inanimate objects and spouting nonsense on the internet.
LOL, sad little world. Do you even have a passport?

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
After reading the last few comments it appears the lost1 doesn't realize
there's a lot of crazy sobs in the US and when they acost you ,
your passport won't work as a form of defense.
Those crazy sobs are everywhere.. yes sir, even in the woods.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You are truly gifted. A real asset to the Expedition Portal that claims to be “the global resource for overland and adventure travel” as well as the “most popular overland media site”. Your contributions should be immortalized in your keen insight and in-depth understanding of world travel. Please continue to explore your horizons.

Keep in mind that 93.2% of voters on this site see “overlanding becoming a glorified excuse for more bolt-ons and less about travel. Would love to hear about your travel rig and overland preparations.
You come here and pick a fight about guns- wouldn’t it be easier to move along to a topic you enjoy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior