The Toyota Land Cruiser Is Coming Back To America

stom_m3

Observer
The hybrid battery should have been split in 2 and placed along the cubby holes near the wheel humps vs raising the floor 6-8 inches. So much wasted space. I think it would be more important to have the extra height.

Attachments

• GXP4021.jpg
    GXP4021.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 20

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Just watched the tfl review.
Couple of things jump out at me. Toyota has a serious model line up issue now. They have 3 versions of the 4runner in slightly different configurations and all very close in size.

The strange rear false raised floor bump up from the rear hatch seen in the Sequoia and now LC is a serious head scratcher. GM did that to the prior gen Tahoe/yukon when they were trying to eek out a few more yrs on the dated platform yet have fold in floor 3rd row to compete with the Expedition.

Toyotas SUV line up is super baffling with these new renditions of the 4runner, Sequoia and LC which are all very similar in size.
What if the 4 runner is smaller more nimble and more rock crawler rather than overland focused, for less...that would make sense....getting rid of the Sequoia in a few years would also make sense. With this LC priced where it is, and the Sequoia priced where it is combined with the pitiful sales numbers...its time to put that model to bed. As I understand it, the only reason they kept it around is because the dealers begged them to.

I think (hope) the new LC sales numbers double or triple the Sequoia and put it to bed once and for all.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I love the passive aggressive shade I keep seeing people post here: "It's a prado, just set your expectations accordingly..."

That's the same as the nonsense on IH8Mud. Some people need some pretty significant therapy.

Nope. They always were Land Cruisers. All of them And they all work just the same, arguably the best in the industry. Please offer constructive comments.
If they are the same then you could say a 4Runner is as well….

nickw

Adventurer
I love the passive aggressive shade I keep seeing people post here: "It's a prado, just set your expectations accordingly..."

That's the same as the nonsense on IH8Mud. Some people need some pretty significant therapy.

Nope. They always were Land Cruisers. All of them And they all work just the same, arguably the best in the industry. Please offer constructive comments.
I don't think it's passive aggressive - there is some 'fact' in what they are saying...while a Prado my be a Landcruiser in spirit is more of a marketing term as they are not built with the same duty cycle in mind. With your logic we could call the GX's, 4runner, FJCruiser and I guess the Tacoma a "Landcruiser" since they use many of the same parts depending how you want to define things. Made in Japan vs Mexico, oversize axles/running gear (9.5") vs lighter duty stuff (8.x"), duty cycle design parameters (the infamous 500,000 mile figure), etc.....only the HD "Landcruiser" ticks all the boxes, the others don't tick them all but maybe some....doesn't make it better or worse, just different.

The spirit that the Landcruiser name has been watered down, probably intentionally, but I am excited to see where this lands....I'd love to see it with the HD axles / diffs, IMO that would speak volumes about the intent of the rig.

It's a bit silly, but I'll tell ya, driving around in my old FJ40 it was cool knowing what it was designed for, how it was designed and how overbuilt it was....just like it would be cool driving around in a silver DB5 even though there are better cars out there.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What if the 4 runner is smaller more nimble and more rock crawler rather than overland focused, for less...that would make sense....getting rid of the Sequoia in a few years would also make sense. With this LC priced where it is, and the Sequoia priced where it is combined with the pitiful sales numbers...its time to put that model to bed. As I understand it, the only reason they kept it around is because the dealers begged them to.

I think (hope) the new LC sales numbers double or triple the Sequoia and put it to bed once and for all.
The Sequoia redesign was definitely needed but instead of doing something that gave Tahoe/Yukon and Expedition shoppers a possible alternative they sorta made a weird 4runner/LC bastardized rendition with a really messed up rear floor design thats trash for any utility function.
I was super curious to go look at it when I opened the back the look on my face triggered a “yeah its kinda not ideal” comment from the sales guy. Seriously someone at Toyota needs to get canned🤷‍♂️

calicamper

Expedition Leader

It’s possible but honestly that space sits with the Rav and the new mini truck variant.

The 4runner has far better cache in that mid sized proper 4x4 suv zone than the LC does due to the decades of pitching the LC as a lux pig.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
It’s possible but honestly that space sits with the Rav and the new mini truck variant.

The 4runner has far better cache in that mid sized proper 4x4 suv zone than the LC does due to the decades of pitching the LC as a lux pig.
They are more than likely just gonna put a top on a Tacoma and price it similar for the new 4 runner. Same powertrain, same general look, same general function etc. Just like the good old days.

Jeff_DML

The hybrid battery should have been split in 2 and placed along the cubby holes near the wheel humps vs raising the floor 6-8 inches. So much wasted space. I think it would be more important to have the extra height.
The starter battery is in your left red cubby

SkiWill

Given that the 4runner TRD pro ground clearance is 9.6", the outgoing 200 series is 8.9" and the new Land Cruiser is going to be 8.7" it suggests a large rear axle R&P. Since the lowest ground clearance point is under the rear diff and the new Land Cruiser is the lowest, that would imply that it is going to be a very stout rear axle, as well it should be with 465 lb feet of torque. We will have to wait and see final specs when they're available, but this could be a very stoutly built vehicle. Here's hoping for a payload of at least 1,500 lbs. If you couldn't tell, I'm excited about this vehicle.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
My cash is ready as soon as I can find a dealer with no additional markup.
I want the 1st Edition with all the extra goodies and then it will go to a few choice vendors for extras and immediately into the dirt.
Love the look and super excited

K9LTW

Here's hoping for a payload of at least 1,500 lbs.
This part right here...THIS is the value I'm waiting for. I don't care that the towing was reduced from the 200 by a ton. I'm not towing a 4-ton trailer to any trailhead in the first place. But it'll be really interesting to see where payload falls, particularly as it's already loaded down with the battery pack.

As one of the folks that fell out of love with the Grenadier, I'm really excited by this. For our use case of taking the dogs all over North America on trails up to about 6/10 rating with an RTT, and typical buildout, I think it'll be perfect. Gonna be a tight fit with both the dogs, but we have the RAM for bigger stuff and we'll make due for a few years (knock on wood) until we're down to just one dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998