The Unnamed - 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

UglyViking

@St8ton Now that you've had that RSI cap a while I'm curious to how you feel about it? Especially around the following items:
  • Do you ever drop the tailgate without opening the rear liftgate? If so, how does it work and is there any noticeable issue with the seal over time?
  • I've heard that the latches/locks don't play well in the winter, whats your experience?
  • How is it keeping the rear window/front cap window clean? This was far and away my biggest complaint on my last cap, and I'm curious to your experience

enzone11

I have another question about the RSI cap to add. RSI's website shows that the EVO SPORT for the Ram 2500 is not available until 2022, but it shows as available for purchase for the Ram 1500.

My question is -- Why wouldn't the cap for the 1500 6'4 bed fit the 2500 (Power Wagon) with the 6'4 bed? These bed dimensions are identical, no?

Wondering why they would have a separate item for 1500 vs. 2500 in the same bed length.

1633285919759.png

UglyViking

I have another question about the RSI cap to add. RSI's website shows that the EVO SPORT for the Ram 2500 is not available until 2022, but it shows as available for purchase for the Ram 1500.

My question is -- Why wouldn't the cap for the 1500 6'4 bed fit the 2500 (Power Wagon) with the 6'4 bed? These bed dimensions are identical, no?

Wondering why they would have a separate item for 1500 vs. 2500 in the same bed length.

View attachment 685172
The "new body style" 1500 has a different bed than the "new body style" HD trucks, so it may but it's not guaranteed.

St8ton

@St8ton Now that you've had that RSI cap a while I'm curious to how you feel about it? Especially around the following items:
  • Do you ever drop the tailgate without opening the rear liftgate? If so, how does it work and is there any noticeable issue with the seal over time?
The rear bulb seal is too big to drop the tailgate without opening the rear hatch door. At least it is on mine, I haven’t tried it on anyone elses, nor have I had the conversation with anyone else about it.
  • I've heard that the latches/locks don't play well in the winter, whats your experience?
Like any latch, it has the ability to freeze if the conditions are right. I didn’t have any issues this past winter with freezing. I keep the lock barrels lubricated with a fluid used for garage doors and it’s been working well.
  • How is it keeping the rear window/front cap window clean? This was far and away my biggest complaint on my last cap, and I'm curious to your experience
I don’t really worry with it. The cap fits so close to the cab it’s not an easy task. It stays fairly clean for the most part, you could climb in the Cap and slide the window open and get at it that way. Truthfully, you can’t really see much out of that thing anyway. o_O

Let me know if you’ve got any more questions.

St8ton

View attachment 685172
If you can find an accurate response from anyone else I’d gladly like to hear (read) it. I will tell you…My Cap is for a 1500 and fits just fine. I did have to get different bed clamps as I was told the factory provided clamps would not work. I did not get to confirm this issue. I was told that the 2020-21 Ram 2500 Cap would not fit my 2019 Ram 2500. I was not provided with any visuals or actual proof that it would not work…just what I was told. I was an early adopter to the Cap and took a chance. A year later, no ragrets…not one letter.

jadmt

ignore button user
If you can find an accurate response from anyone else I’d gladly like to hear (read) it. I will tell you…My Cap is for a 1500 and fits just fine. I did have to get different bed clamps as I was told the factory provided clamps would not work. I did not get to confirm this issue. I was told that the 2020-21 Ram 2500 Cap would not fit my 2019 Ram 2500. I was not provided with any visuals or actual proof that it would not work…just what I was told. I was an early adopter to the Cap and took a chance. A year later, no ragrets…not one letter.
RSI sent me the specs and the 1500 cap has slightly different dimensions then the 2500. enough to matter most likely not but they are indeed different. I just found the email. the 1500 cap is over 1" narrower at the front and over an inch shorter, back width and length are the same. This was from rick at RSI

UglyViking

@St8ton appreciate the info, bummer to hear. I'm glad you're still liking it after a bit, they do have a very unique look for sure beyond everything else. I think for my desires I'll likely stick with a traditional cap for the time being. Looking forward to seeing what is next for your build!

enzone11

I hate ask what may be a silly question given all you have shared of this beautiful rig, but following up on my question about fit of the RSI 1500 cap on your 2500 -- I can't tell exactly from the pictures, but how does the reveal of the bed rail look from front to back? Best I can tell from the pictures is that there is slightly more of the flat area of the bed rail showing in the front of the bed as compared to the rear. Is this your observation as well? I'm just really on the fence about ordering the 1500 cap, which is available now, versus waiting for them to make a 2500-specific cap available, supposedly next year. You have been so generous sharing details, that I figured it was worth asking.

And a final question on the cap (I promise!) -- Do you find that the rear third brake light/cargo light on the truck aligns well with the opening they make on the cap?

Thanks again, and hands-down one of the nicest PWs I've seen.

1633540135930.png

aaaslayer

is there a reason bajadesigns does not offer their fog pocket bracket by itself? I want S2 Pros not the sports. They only bundle the bracket with S2 sports.

Etoimos

Observer
Added some HardKorr Lighting LEDs with a panel I made for the switch control

x9wuCfUl.jpg

@St8ton Can you tell me what size HardKorr lights you got for the side of your RSI cap? I will not get my cap until next year sometime, but I'd like to put the lights on my Christmas list for the wife. Thanks man.

St8ton

@St8ton Can you tell me what size HardKorr lights you got for the side of your RSI cap? I will not get my cap until next year sometime, but I'd like to put the lights on my Christmas list for the wife. Thanks man.
I'm using these currently.

St8ton

I hate ask what may be a silly question given all you have shared of this beautiful rig, but following up on my question about fit of the RSI 1500 cap on your 2500 -- I can't tell exactly from the pictures, but how does the reveal of the bed rail look from front to back? Best I can tell from the pictures is that there is slightly more of the flat area of the bed rail showing in the front of the bed as compared to the rear. Is this your observation as well? I'm just really on the fence about ordering the 1500 cap, which is available now, versus waiting for them to make a 2500-specific cap available, supposedly next year. You have been so generous sharing details, that I figured it was worth asking.

And a final question on the cap (I promise!) -- Do you find that the rear third brake light/cargo light on the truck aligns well with the opening they make on the cap?
It does have some taper back to front, but nothing out of the ordinary.
The Cap window does align with the rear mounted cab cargo light and camera. It will illuminate the inside of the cap, and the camera will allow you to view cargo while moving.

Hope that helps.

dstock

Explorer
Nice build!

Quick question on the RSI cap, is there a way to secure the rear hatch if you are sleeping inside?

I've also heard the initially there were some issues with the push style latches freezing shut in cold weather due to moisture, have you run into this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger