Thinking about going to a Series III-???

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Mercedesrover...
My reason for doing a swap is NOT cost based. I tend to go out for weeks at a time and have to cut my trips short because of the fuel.

With a standard, gasoline NAS 88, you can add a second tank under the driver's seat and a Jeep CJ 15 gallon tank in the back. That's 35+ gallons of fuel. Even at 10 MPG, that's a decent range. Of course, you need to adjust your suspension and make other allowances for that sort of fuel capacity- but it is possible.

Range is the only reason I considered a diesel, but it didn't add up in the end given the places I will visit and the available fuel. At current diesel fuel prices, it makes even less sense for me. YMMV.

Jim knows the ins and outs of diesel conversions better than most people- just visit his site or his 109 build thread.

revor

Explorer
The 4.8 vortec will net you 18 - 20 mpg, depending on how you drive.

You're really stuck on that big thing aren't you? :sombrero:

He's my Ideal 88".
Parabolic Springs
Some nice shocks
Toyota Diffs 4.10 or 4.56 gears with Lockers of some sort.
200 TDI, series tranny and T case.
255/85-16 tires
A nice winch
Extra fuel tank
Roof Rack
Some type of bull bar type thing
Rock Sliders

That's all., simple engine, simple build and easy fab to make it all fit
You're getting 25MPH got some storage and a decent range

Not counting the truck there's an easy $8K in mods and parts if you do the work yourself.

Burningtree

Revor, I think you and I may be on the same page, although I'm not familiar w/ parabolic or the 200. To what degree can the engine be tweaked?

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
I owned a 1972 Series III 88 for 8 years. I bought it from the original owner in 1995. It had 88,000 miles on it. I lived in Flagstaff, and drove it a lot. Major trips were to Zion NP, Canyon de Chelley, Canyonlands NP, and the San Juans in Colorado. We went over Elephant Hill, south through the Grabens, spent the night just south of the park near the Indian ruins, and out to Montecello. Drove over Imogene Pass one day, up Poughkeepsie Gulch another, and over Black Bear Pass on the last day. Plus countless days of exploring forest roads in Arizona.

Other than adding an overdrive and putting modern tires on it, it was bone stock. We had a lot of fun in it. On the freeway at 7000 ft, it would cruise at 65 mph. Down in Phoenix it would do better than 70, but if you got much above that it started feeling squirrely. The short wheebase, probably. I think that is why the wheelbase of the Defender was increased by 4 or 5 inches. The long, steep hills of I-17 would slow it to 45, but that was still faster than the semis. I got 14-16 mpg with it whether I was driving on the freeway, around town, or off the pavement.

I sold it to a guy in Flagstaff, who then traded it for a SIIA that had a diesel in it. It was in Medford, Oregon the last I heard. If anyone runs across it, please let me know. Its chassis number ended in 1040A (how appropriate in tax season).

We sold it in 2002 when our family grew and we needed a place to put our daughter.

Needles.JPG

In the Needles District of Canyonlands NP.

roverpeaks.jpg

On Anderson Mesa south of Flagstaff.

Attachments

• Needles.JPG
    Needles.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 24
  • roverpeaks.jpg
    roverpeaks.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 24

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
You're really stuck on that big thing aren't you? :sombrero:

With 5 kids and kit, you bet I am. My wife is a city girl so I need to upgrade it a little bit.

I forgot which tie rod ends I need so I will call you later today.:smiley_drive:

KingSlug

Observer
No to rain on your parade, but...

If you break a 200 or 300 TDI and you are away from home its a bit of a pain to get the right part and the expense isn't pretty either. I think all of us rover guys suffer with parts availbilty at some point, but with so many old series rovers around you usually rely on friends to get you a spare or RN/RDS/BP to get you a new part or if you have a supported rover (RR/Disco/D90) you can laways get stuff from the dealer. The 200/300TDI you are moving away from support systems, especially with a IP or head issue.

If you are looking for a dependable expedition engine look at were you will be. In US/CA/MX I would stick with a non-electronic Chevy/Ford V6/8 gas engine. Diesel south of the border is iffy sometimes, especially off the beaten path, I have had diesel intentionally over mixed with gas because diesel wasn't sold often so gas was added to freshen it up. The MB 616 would be a solid engine.

You need to relax a bit. People in the rover and especially in D90/series community really aren't into pissing on your dream, they are just giving you the vast knowledge the group has collected as a whole. Most everything has been done before, but it pay dividends to listen to IkeGoss/TerriAnn/MercedesRover/TimmCooper/Revor.

Jared

Burningtree

I hear ya concerning the 200/300tdi, it seems something else, even a 4bt, may be better suited for my needs.

And to all the knights in shining armor, taking up for their fellow man:D...It was not my intention at all to come across as rude. I want this to stay on topic, not turn into a debate on cost efficacy.

revor

Explorer
Oh yeah! An overdrive!!! Thank's James!

I understand about the aprehension one might have with a relatively rare engine whilst on a long journey. On the other hand they don't have any more trouble than anything else if well maintained, like any other vehicle failure is a roll of the dice.

The 200 in a Series is a simple nearly bolt in solution whereas a V6 GM is not but there are adaptors that make a bit easier, that V6 is going to trash the tranny so you should put in an SM465 and get the adaptor from AA to bolt it to the Series T Case (which will be fine even with Big HP) But then the diff's will blow and the Overdrive won't handle the power so you need an NV 4500 and Toy Diffs, ahh you see it just goes on (I'm on my tenth or so of these builds)
Built either way it would be a fun wagon, one will cost more in parts the other will cost more in labor, you're paying for labor or have skilz and have a bit of spare time.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Advance makes a SM465 to Series TC adapter? They never mentioned it to me... I probably would have gone that route instead of the Spicer 18. I thought the only option was a more or less custom adapter from guys like Timm or Ike, which isn't the easiest/most economical route for me.

Pick the drivetrain carefully. That crossmember behind the transfercase and the small engine compartment are big limiting factors that have to be considered with any swap. Compared to a Jeep, you don't have a lot of room to play with.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
But then the diff's will blow and the Overdrive won't handle the power so you need an NV 4500 and Toy Diffs, ahh you see it just goes on (I'm on my tenth or so of these builds)

You mean the salisbury isn't strong enough???

KingSlug

Observer
I am doing a 4BTA in my ambulance, well I have all the parts built up and mated together but no space or time in the garage. I went with a NP435/Series Xfer from Ike, because the NP435 was one of the engines orginally mated to the 4BTA (easy parts) and its almost the same length as a stock rover tranny.

A 4BTA/NP435/Hi-ratio Series Xfer/3.54R&P and 34+" tires will give the amby 55mph at 1800rpm. A 5spd would be nice but space is a consideration, and I dont mind driving 55.

Jared

revor

Explorer
You mean the salisbury isn't strong enough???

I'm talking 88" No Sali out back

Hey Jared, I like the 4BTA in a 109, especially an ambulance but at 700+ pounds it's a heavy engine for a little 88, a 200 just makes 460 pounds about the same as the 2.25 Petrol that it would replace. I could see the need for the power in that big beast of an ambulance, not so much in an 88"

Mike I believe the adaptor is a relatively new product

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
A 4BTA/NP435/Hi-ratio Series Xfer/3.54R&P and 34+" tires will give the amby 55mph at 1800rpm. A 5spd would be nice but space is a consideration, and I dont mind driving 55.

Jared

Jared are you using the close ratio NP435?

KingSlug

Observer
Nope on the close ratio. I chose the same NP435 that came with the 4BTA equipped bread vans, except mine has PTO on the LHS and another PTO window on the RHS. The NP435 must be out of a wrecker or dump truck or something needing PTOs.

So the gears are: 6.68/3.34/1.74/1.00/8.26R

Jared

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior