Tire Chains

NorCalSam

Adventurer
I never got or found any clear info on the best tire chains to buy last year. We are running the chains from Les Schwab (Tire Store). I like the fact that you can install them if you are stuck and they are easy to install and go on like the populate RUD Grip 4x4 chains I also like that they are the diamond pattern. What I don’t like is that they are made in China and they have a very small chain.

I am looking for something like these chains, but are bigger or the chain is bigger. It seems to be difficult to find specs on chains and whether or not you can get them in a 35x12.5 tire size. After some research and comparison I think the ones I have from the schwab are only 3.7mm chain.

I have 2 older sets for 31” tires that we now use for my moms cruiser. One is the WhiteStar LT by Security and the Diamond back LT by Quality chain Corp. The WhiteStar is a good chain but the outside is held together or tightened by a extra large rubber tensioner only, that takes so much strength, so most women, and guys like Doug can’t use it. However it is a little bigger chain so I think it is a 4.5mm. The other set is the biggest set, or the chain link is the biggest, most likely 5.5mm . Nether of these chains seem to be made for a 35”x 12.5” tire.

If the RUD chain co. makes one for a 35” tire it looks like it uses a 4.5mm chain.

I am looking for something better then what I have. What do you all know?

Maybe I just need a snow cat?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I tell you the truth. I don't know anything. Usually i dont use chains...However, my SMB came with RUD's (35" size) and im planning on using them over Christmas if the snow is thick enough. Supposedly they're one of the best brands out there and they're super easy to install. We'll see how they work :REExeSwimmingHL:

NorCalSam

Adventurer
I talked to a rep today from Quality chain corp. He say that there chain is the 5.5mm I think this is the biggest you can get in this style. mod# 2536Q is for a 315x75R16 and 2537 is for a 35x12.5R17.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Sam: I have bought chain from these guys: http://www.pewagchain.com/

They are located in Sparks. Great guys...and they know their stuff. If they don't have what you want they can even make them for you...

I have the same Schwab chains as you; haven't used them yet...but might need to this winter. Previously I had the RUD's when I had 33" but they don't offer 35" (or at least didn't). I have heard because they are small chain (Schwab and RUD) you need to be careful on any hard surfaces not to over throttle them as they can snap.

Dan

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
good topic Sam, i'm intersted as well.

I got a pair of these diamond style (my understanding is the diamond pattern is better for mixed street use)
http://tirechain.com/315-75R16.htm

I am wondering if I should get another pair for the front tires... i'm thinking if it's bad enough to require chains on a 4x4, maybe I should just have all 4 chained up?

the reasons i didn't are-
-will never use them so don't want to waste $
-potential to do damage to the front brake lines/etc if they break loose or installed incorrectly...

on that line, maybe it would be better to spend a bit more for those easy to use self tensioning chains for the front? assuming they have them for 315s

NorCalSam

Adventurer
spressomon said:

They are located in Sparks. Great guys...and they know their stuff. If they don't have what you want they can even make them for you...

I have the same Schwab chains as you; haven't used them yet...but might need to this winter. Previously I had the RUD's when I had 33" but they don't offer 35" (or at least didn't). I have heard because they are small chain (Schwab and RUD) you need to be careful on any hard surfaces not to over throttle them as they can snap.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I tried them last year they don't make the diamond type like the RUD's. I last year I did break one of the Schwab chain on the front of the Dodge truck going very very slow. They are just to weak for big heavy trucks IMO. They chains to have I think are the Diamond Back Lt from Quality Chain Corp. Made in Oregon. They are twice the size of the Schwab chain.

JoshInReno

Observer
spressomon said:

Dan

We are a Pewag distributor and they really are nice guys. Eddie is the guy you want to see.

Too bad they don't offer the "ASV" in your size. They are incredible - and pricey! Average set is about $1000.

414_309_de.jpg

Bongo Boy

Observer
NorCalSam said:
I never got or found any clear info on the best tire chains to buy last year. We are running the chains from Les Schwab (Tire Store). I like the fact that you can install them if you are stuck and they are easy to install and go on like the populate RUD Grip 4x4 chains I also like that they are the diamond pattern.
Ah, the 'best tire chain' question. Anyway, not sure what the objection is with tirechain.com since they do indeed carry at least two diamond pattern chains. I have no idea what dimension it is you're referencing, but I doubt anyone would want 'larger' chains than those they offer. While they don't have the brand recognition of the $600 Rud chains, I'm thinking for 1/6 the cost they might work.

Was there another problem you had with tirechain.com other than they didn't offer diamond pattern when you last looked?

I just took delivery of their square link ladder style chains, and have had to make modifications to shorten the overall length and take some twists out. A bit of a pain, but understandable to me since I bought chains for 35x12.5 and put them on 34x12.5 tires. They seem okay...links are soft as cheese even though I think they said 'hardened'.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
I just bought some RUD grip 4x4's a few days ago. They also have a warehouse in Sparks... I'll see how they do this week if I get to go out and play a little.:safari-rig:

Robthebrit

Explorer
I have some really heavy duty RUDs for my mog, they are not the type of chain you take on and off. Its more like have a spare set of wheels and keep the chains mounted. They must weigh about 150 pounds a wheel but they aren't going to break.

Rob

toyrunner95

Explorer
Well speaking from experience (just spent a half hour putting chains on my better half's 4runner) I hate chains. I would much rather put on mattrax. Anyway, the schwab specials are decent chains, i wouldent trust them for more than a season or two but they seem to hold up alright. The Rud Grip chains I hear are the way to go. Scott used them on the arctic trip and they apparently worked well enough.

BTW: Someone pray for me, I have to drive 300 miles tomorrow accross Washington. There are blizzard conditions today and probably tomorrow. The word is that a normally 5 hr trip will be an 8-12 hour advenure. I am spending the day prepping the runner and packing.

btggraphix

Observer
so where do you get the RUD chains?

I need some for a dually...maybe these?

http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schneeketten/lkw/greifsteg_zwilling.html

My truck weighs 18,000 so I don't want to buy something that is going to fall a part. I had been planning on going with something from tirechains.com like this:

http://tirechain.com/DUALTRIPLE.htm

But would rather spend more up front to have a good working set. On the other hand, I don't like the sound of robthebrit's description of putting them on. Rob, let me know the next time you want to put them on....I'll drop by sugarloaf mountain to lend you a hand and see what it's like... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan