Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Route preparation will give a person an idea of what vehicles are not ideal. In Africa, wide track vehicles like Hummers may not be the best choice. Many tracks just aren't cut through areas that a Hummer could get through.

Case in point. In Matusadona, the USA left(after a project was completed) some Hummers in the Mid '90's to ZimParks. 2 ended up in Matusadona NP. Beautiful beasts too. However, they were dressed but no place to go. So park staff drove them around the area of Tashinga (park hdqts) only. As expected, when they started breaking down, no parts availability then, they were parked. The vehicles came in on a ferry and most likely will depart that way, unless they are totally cannibalized.

That was just one example. But I have been down a lot of tracks in various African countries that a Hummer could not negotiate.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Route preparation will give a person an idea of what vehicles are not ideal. In Africa, wide track vehicles like Hummers may not be the best choice. Many tracks just aren't cut through areas that a Hummer could get through.

Case in point. In Matusadona, the USA left(after a project was completed) some Hummers in the Mid '90's to ZimParks. 2 ended up in Matusadona NP. Beautiful beasts too. However, they were dressed but no place to go. So park staff drove them around the area of Tashinga (park hdqts) only. As expected, when they started breaking down, no parts availability then, they were parked. The vehicles came in on a ferry and most likely will depart that way, unless they are totally cannibalized.

That was just one example. But I have been down a lot of tracks in various African countries that a Hummer could not negotiate.

There are a lot of trails in the world where a Hummer won't fit, and that's their first weakness. However, they can travel any track where a Unimog or other heavy truck will go, and that's a lot of routes. Rather than dismissing any vehicle outright, we should be talking pros/cons as a discussion. Blanket statements aren't helpful, in my opinion. I'm not saying you are making a blanket statement here. Your point is a good one.

David

Last edited:

kmacafee

Adventurer
How about

the Honda Element AWD? I have driven mine in many of the places highlighted on this forum. I know its limitations -- ground clearance, not true 4WD, blah blah -- one couple has driven the Element from Alaska to the farthest point in South America. When I do go off the beaten path, isn't that Overlanding as well?

Scott -- many thanks for all you do to further the Overlanding spirit. I am a rookie compared to many here but share the same enthusiasm for the adventure and have learned a ton.

Its not the destination (or the vehicle) that matters -- its the journey!!

Happy New Year. See you in Arizona in April.

Cheers

Kevin::bike_rider:

luangwablondes

Adventurer
I am trying to avoid making a blanket statement. The issue of driving vehicles .... just for the interest of discussion- through Africa, often it is to enjoy game viewing, encounter unique cultures, and traveling in remote areas. Often these routes would limit wide track vehicle
access to these areas, which defeats the purpose in taking a Unimog or Hummer. Sure, you can drive through Africa with them, but not along what many consider some of the 'best' routes.

So ideally, it would be best to review routes, just to discover if certain vehicles should be eliminated in the process of preparation for a tour. Along those lines, if certain fuels are not readily available, like petrol- gas to Americans, then diesel engines are often the best choice.

So, we are back to Scott's #1 - I. Purchase the correct vehicle for the job

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
When it comes to vehicle choice I think there should be no "top ten" lists at all. There are so many different types of vehicles for different purposes out there, the "top ten" concept of comparing them just doesn't make sense. For example, is a Unimog better than a Toyota Land Cruiser? It entirely depends on what you are using it for, right? If there is going to be a discussion of possible expedition vehicles, it should be as comprehensive as possible. I forward the method Jack Jackson uses in his off road prep and technique books. He has a whole chapter with a summary of every available off road vehicle and a critique of their strengths and weaknesses in various conditions based on his decades of experience as an overlander. This gives a good starting point for deciding which vehicle would be best for the specific use required.

David

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I am trying to avoid making a blanket statement. The issue of driving vehicles .... just for the interest of discussion- through Africa, often it is to enjoy game viewing, encounter unique cultures, and traveling in remote areas. Often these routes would limit wide track vehicle
access to these areas, which defeats the purpose in taking a Unimog or Hummer. Sure, you can drive through Africa with them, but not along what many consider some of the 'best' routes.

So ideally, it would be best to review routes, just to discover if certain vehicles should be eliminated in the process of preparation for a tour. Along those lines, if certain fuels are not readily available, like petrol- gas to Americans, then diesel engines are often the best choice.

So, we are back to Scott's #1 - I. Purchase the correct vehicle for the
job

Like I said, I'm not saying you are making a blanket statement. You have an excellent point. This is where the discussion on vehicles should be heading . . .
Thanks

David

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
When it comes to vehicle choice I think there should be no "top ten" lists at all. There are so many different types of vehicles for different purposes out there, the "top ten" concept of comparing them just doesn't make sense. For example, is a Unimog better than a Toyota Land Cruiser? It entirely depends on what you are using it for, right? If there is going to be a discussion of possible expedition vehicles, it should be as comprehensive as possible. I forward the method Jack Jackson uses in his off road prep and technique books. He has a whole chapter with a summary of every available off road vehicle and a critique of their strengths and weaknesses in various conditions based on his decades of experience as an overlander. This gives a good starting point for deciding which vehicle would be best for the specific use required.

David

Excellent observation. I often illustrate to my young padawan that it's all about "mission analysis." A simple acronym taught to all levels of military leaders early in their careers is METT-T and one small element of a much larger deliberate planning process.

Mission, Enemy, Terrain, Troops, and Time. With a few substitutions this applies to overlanding in an expeditionary environment. Mission -- what's the purpose of this trip; what environmental factors (enemy) can influence successful completion of our trip... heat, cold, destructive weather, seasonal weather variations; terrain which guides the selection of vehicle, tires, etc.; our own capabilities and capacities and who will be accompaying you on this trip (troops); and time, whether trip duration or suspense dates, which impacts route selection or travel pace.

Next, ask me about load planning... ;)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
My apology was for getting into a debate with someone lacking experience and only intend on stirring trouble- that was a fools errand...

I stand by my statement regarding the hummer products. The goal of the vehicle selection article is to highlight the best tools for the job based on my experience with them. Sure, you can use a hummer to drive around the world, but it would need to be because you like the vehicle or because of the novelty of it - both are personal choices, not debatable merits. I love the idea of exploring by more challenging or obscure means, even having driven through 21 countries in a similar manner. However, I believe best practices should be just that- the best. My goal is for the articles to reflect that.

The best are the best- period. Other choices are fine, but need to be made with eyes wide open and preparations and experience to back up the compromises IMO.

Hope my logic makes sense.:ylsmoke:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Gosh, can’t we get a little perspective here? Let’s step back and take a look at the OP and put it in context. I think you will find it is not worth getting all riled up about.

It’s basically a fluff thread meant to spur thoughts of fantasy and theory, not a blue print for exploration. Of course exploration doesn’t hinge on having a specific piece of equipment. Some vehicles are better suited for certain conditions than others. Not every case is the same. Not every destination is the same.

I managed to visit 23 sovereign nations in Eastern and Western Europe in a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan. All of that travel could be considered overlanding except for time on ferrys and in the Chunnel. Does this mean a Dodge mini-van is superior to a Toyota FJ-40? No…and yes. I would much rather drive from the Pyrenees to Praha in a mini van than a 40. Would I attempt London to Cape Town in a Grand Caravan, never.

The fact that tempers are flaring over this discussion is silly. Whether or not the info is completely accurate depends on the context for which it is being discussed. The info provided is not, will not and cannot be correct for every destination or travel situation. Finding fault in the initial “top ten” list is ridiculous and misses the point. The extremely small minority of ExPo membership preparing their own vehicle for international travel have vastly different requirements than those of us in the majority who will never drive our own vehicles anywhere other than North America.

For the “overland” tour of Europe I did, a fully outfitted HZJ78 is a solution looking for a problem. However, if that London to Cape Town journey was on the itinerary, hand me the keys to the 78. The few full time travelers I have spoken to, haven’t been so obsessed with the automobile they use for travel. They are dependant on it and very attentive to it but the vehicle isn’t the center of their focus. The automobile is really just a tool for traveling. Overlanding should be primarily focused on the destinations not the equipment. Equipment and gear obsession is a valid and popular interest but deserves its own moniker.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Besides the technical side of the vehicle question, let's not forget that there's a question of individual personality and expression at hand too. If you're spending significant time and resources preparing, maintaining and traveling extensively in a vehicle, it's best to get one that fits you on a gut level as well. (I know you're with me on this one Scott, if your Disco is any indication . . . :))

David

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer

David

Your post is on the money David!

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Great article Scott. With my past few years of experiences I've begun to form the same simplistic views about modifications and vehicles.

I can stand as an example of choosing the incorrect vehicle. My original platform did great out of the box, however as age and mileage accumulated the Ranger became less reliable. So in the initial sense a Ranger was a good choice to get me going. But with my horizon expanding beyond regions close to home availability of parts has become the biggest issue. The simple fact, as much as I have denied it, other succesfull trips were based on the correct vehicle platforms that have proven themselves many times over.

Scott Brady

Founder
I respectfully disagree with some of the recent posts. A conclusion is a valuable tool.

However, I will agree that it should be assumed that the adventure is far more important that the method, but the question should still be debated and documented. In the end, having a document the community generates regarding best practices is valuable. And in the end I hold far more praise for the person driving through Central Asia in a Mini Cooper than the person with a fully kitted Defender who is afraid to go to Baja...

I believe there is a process to vetting and selecting the method and that some people like the idea of using the very best tool for a particular job and are happy to eschew the romance of novelty to the benefit of performance. One route is no better than the other, but I believe the exercise is valid. The 70 series really is the best base vehicle for exploring the developing world. That is not to say it doesn't have stiff competition and it's own compromises (principally refinement and occupant comfort).

These are open source papers. I welcome the respectful debate and encourage it. Some great suggestions so far and previous recommendations shaped the vehicle selection article too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears