Trailer Jack with Off-Road tire?

snowblind

Adventurer
Have any of you guys had any luck finding a heavy duty caster with pnuematic or runflat tire to attach to a tongue jack?

I tried a Harbor Freight (300lb**) caster and the axle folded immediately.

HF_wheel.jpg

Matt

tarditi

Explorer
Like this?

http://www.crofttrailer.com/croft-pneumatic-wheel-kit

3862_main_image_original__37261.1319670777.1280.1280.jpg

snowblind

Adventurer
More developments.

"Standard-duty casters" all seem to share the same 3" x 3" mounting pattern slotted to 2-5/8" x 3-5/8"

It looks like the HD casters move to larger mounting patterns with wheel size. 8" and 10" are slotted 3-3/8"x 5-1/4" but 12" is non-slotted 4-1/8" x 6-1/8"

Matt

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I think I did the same mod as you. Mine is the swivel 8", is yours? I haven't had an issue with mine though.

Attachments

• DSCF0745.jpg
    DSCF0745.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF0744.jpg
    DSCF0744.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 104

snowblind

Adventurer
I think I did the same mod as you. Mine is the swivel 8", is yours? I haven't had an issue with mine though.

Mine is the 10". Guessing the 8 and 10 are the same but the 10" is actually weaker because it has a larger wheel and therefore more susceptible to sideways bending of the wheel.

Matt

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've tried inflated tires on a few different trailers over the years - always ended up with a solid wheel given the trailer tongue is awkward on that nose wheel and puts side loads on the tire. The best wheel I found was a solid metal wheel off an old cart we had at the ranch that looked like it was used for a welder cart guessing it was 1920's era metal wheel best thing ever! Never had an issue with it after I put that one on the trailer. That old saying they don't make stuff like they use to for sure applies to these little wheels. LOL

If your trailer tongue is light enough I could see the inflated tire idea working OK but I doubt any of us can find a small tire these days that can handle 150-200lbs and the side loading that comes from pushing around the trailer in the dirt etc. Too much stuff from China ;-)

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I've got a Cyclone Rake with dual casters. It is plenty heavy duty and they seem reasonably priced for the quality, ($45 for a single wheel and $75 for dual). Very nice bearing since it carries a heavy load and is swiveling all the time. You can buy individual wheel assemblies. It would take a little modification to bolt it to a jack plate. http://www.cyclonerake.com/store/parts/wheels/single-wheels/single-wheels-commander/ I don't see a load rating, but the largest bagger with singe wheels has a 55 cu. ft. capacity.

I run just a plastic wheel on the trailer nose that came from Northern Tool. Since I don't move the trailer around much after it is parked it has been adequate. You do need to be able to back up to the trailer pretty precisely for the hook up when it is parked off road. Most places I park it are either way to sandy or way to unlevel to even attempt to roll the trailer by hand with any kind of nose wheel.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I found a Steel wheel with mount at a yard sale this month for $5.00
The seller said it was from an old Airstream trailer welded it on and it works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior