Trailer Jack with Off-Road tire?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I tried a pneumatic tire for a while. I did finally get a fork that was strong enough, however the tire was being pushed too far. Squishing really bad. Swapped out to a SeaSense Mighty Jack. Big fat solid wheel has done the job for us:
jack.JPG

grogie

Like to Camp
I don't don't haver a trailer so don't know if this product will work for your application but it looks robust based on the video.

http://www.arkportablepower.com/pages/xo-trailer-jack

Also, after watching their video of winching the trailer through mud and sand, I've never considered that if I had to disconnect from the trailer and then winch it, my current wheel would snap off in a similar situation. That's an impressive video showing the trailer jack in action. Hmmm...

grogie

Like to Camp
Thought I'd update this thread... I recently bought and today installed the XO Jockey Wheel. It's solid!

kCoYNf.jpg

O66XkZ.jpg

1Louder

Explorer
I just purchased the XO Jack as well. If the flu hadn't taken me out of action this weekend it would be installed. Built like a tank. I look forward to having something that might actually be able to be used on dirt. It should also make it easier to couple the trailer to my truck.

CTDJeeperman

x3 on the XO jack, i used it on an offroad teardrop I built up. It's by far the best I've seen out there and makes hooking up the trailer offroad much easier. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Last edited:

PCO6

Adventurer
I tried a pneumatic tire for a while. I did finally get a fork that was strong enough, however the tire was being pushed too far. Squishing really bad. Swapped out to a SeaSense Mighty Jack. Big fat solid wheel has done the job for us:
jack.JPG
That's good to hear. I have what appears to be the same one on my trailer (1,500 lb. marine jack with a 8” dia. x 4” wide wheel/tire). My trailer is still under construction so I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

picture.php

My build ...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

1Louder

Explorer
Flu be damned! I killed myself this morning and got this installed. 16 hours a day in my recliner has been taking its toll.

Anyway, you really get what you pay for. The trailer now glides with ease on concrete. If I wasn't sick I would have taken the trailer to a dirt lot to test it. I am still a huge fan of my trailer dolly to move the trailer in and out of my garage but this will make life a lot easier with the actual connection and at camp sites. I think if they lowered the price point to $199.00 all the time they would get more sales. I wish there was a way to remove the jack from the mounting plate. One to protect the jack during rough trail use and to prevent theft (less likely but would really suck). I realize if it was removable it would be less stout.

25970739250_24b08cf8f4_b.jpg

26217682426_131d9ab424_b.jpg

Compared to a standard jack

26177338101_3eda69a211_b.jpg

Only thing I don't like is the plate is kinda huge. I will be cutting down the u-channel once I know everything is working properly.

1Louder

Explorer
I like Fulton by Reese 1413040134 Jack, 1600 Lb, also has a wheel brake. selling around $150.

The primary complaint I have read on these is the hard wheels cracking. One of the reasons I decided to spend the extra money on the XO.

dstock

Explorer
Love the XO jack but the mounting plate is so large I wouldn't be able to open the tailegate on my JK with the trailer attached. Also the way the bracket sticks down below the frame it's going to be the first thing to drag on the ground. I would have to really cut it down to size both top and bottom.

snowblind

Adventurer
3862_main_image_original__37261.1319670777.1280.1280.jpg

A dual wheel eliminates a lot of the problems with hub strength and side loading when "steering". Bulky but perhaps the best solution. Also requires a jack with the ability to swivel internally.

I've been working with Adventure Trailers on a new jack/wheel and hope to have something in my hands within the next few weeks. I will post my findings. :)

Matt

grogie

Like to Camp
26177338101_3eda69a211_b.jpg

Only thing I don't like is the plate is kinda huge. I will be cutting down the u-channel once I know everything is working properly.

Looks good! Yes, the plate is huge! Not sure why it's built so big, guess for those big Australian trailers? It would have been nice if they had included shorter rails on the other side for the bolts.

1Louder

Explorer
Love the XO jack but the mounting plate is so large I wouldn't be able to open the tailegate on my JK with the trailer attached. Also the way the bracket sticks down below the frame it's going to be the first thing to drag on the ground. I would have to really cut it down to size both top and bottom.

So I have been sick all week. The right side of my tongue has the weld on style so unless I cut that off I can't move the jack. I didn't even think about any door issues. I guess I have a 5 min project tomorrow to get me off the couch and see if it does get in the way of my door! Great point though. If it does I will just put some padding around it. The benefits outweigh the possible negative up that for me.

Based on my tongue length I don't think the bracket will hit the ground. I went through a very nasty trail spot last month and only the front portion of my tongue hit. The "V" was so deep it took a rotopack of the back of my friends Turtleback Trailer. I did consider that though and in any sticky situation I will give a careful watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan