Trailer Jack with Off-Road tire?

dstock

Explorer
So I have been sick all week. The right side of my tongue has the weld on style so unless I cut that off I can't move the jack. I didn't even think about any door issues. I guess I have a 5 min project tomorrow to get me off the couch and see if it does get in the way of my door! Great point though. If it does I will just put some padding around it. The benefits outweigh the possible negative up that for me.

Based on my tongue length I don't think the bracket will hit the ground. I went through a very nasty trail spot last month and only the front portion of my tongue hit. The "V" was so deep it took a rotopack of the back of my friends Turtleback Trailer. I did consider that though and in any sticky situation I will give a careful watch.

Report back on your findings if you make it out tomorrow!

Feel better!

1Louder

Explorer
No issues for me. My FJ door still hits my tongue box so when I don't disconnect the trailer I just turn my truck a bit so it clears. Insanely easy to hook the trailer up now. Now more lifting the trailer, realigning the truck, etc. All I had to do was chock the wheels because of my downhill driveway, get the FJ reasonably close and then wheel the trailer into the max coupler. Piece of cake. My old jack stand will go in my tongue box as a backup.

26201321652_6b95eb1aa7_b.jpg

25691017433_de229668d4_b.jpg

The challenge for those with a platform on top of the tongue will be how to mount the thing. Likely solution would be to fab a backing plate that could be welded or bolted to the tongue tube and then the jack could bolt on to that.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Thanks for the update.

It's possible that if mount an XO jack on the same side as yours it would lessen and issues with my tailgate/spare which on the JK, the spare hangs lower then the bottom edge of the tailgate. I'll have to do some experimenting and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan