Traveling in Iceland

soenke

Adventurer
In addition to your "normal" guide book I can recommend EKIÐ um ÓBYGGÐIR from Jón G. Snæland (icelandic) for advanced tours and ADVENTURE in ICELAND from Páll Ásgeir Ásgeirsson (english) with perfect tours by car and foot.
Maps I regard ISLANDKORT1.300000 from Mál og menning (www.forlagid.is) for overview best.

Have fun exploring..:Astrologist:

SPertierra

Observer
I found a perfect rental vehicle, it is a Russian Nava? Anyways, cheap 4x4, but I guess since it does'nt come with a winch(although it does come with a tow strap), I'm gonna have to but a hi-lift and shovel, when I get there. Any recomendations where to shop?

soenke

Adventurer
Niva sounds like adventure..:elkgrin: should do the job.

Sorry I don´t know where to buy best. At Arctic Trucks you ´ll finde most of the stuff you might need:
http://www.arctictrucks.com/Frontpage/Products/Travelling-accessories
Though I rather use hydraulic- or air-jacks...

something like a sandladder could be usefull, a second spare wheel, ~3 jerry cans and traveling the small tracks with deep fords a second car and a chest wader or dry suit to explore the ford...

1617311.jpg

1617336.jpg

Last edited:

SPertierra

Observer
Thank you, that about covers most of what I will need. A few things I can pack with my suit case, GPS, tire repair kit etc. I will decide how much I need depending on if I can find someone to join me. The dates are flexible, I don't want to go too late, but maybe as late as first wek of August. Do you know of a forum in Iceland that would be good to post to, in order to find someone willing to go along with?

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
soenke, whould you like me to add them to this thread and keep this one open to all Iceland travel?

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Well here is some of my TR to Iceland for two weeks in June of 2004.
I'll start with Thingvellir National Park in the Southwest lowlands approximately 40Km from Reykjavik. Here is the website for the park.

http://www.thingvellir.is/english

I was on a some what educational side trip so I started at the Nesjavellir Geothermal Power Plant out side of the Park.
aa6519_04-1.jpg

I had to get up in the hills to get a better look down at Lake Thingvallavatn, the largest lake in Iceland. Any fly fishers, heads up this lake has artic char and brown trout populations. You can see the plant in the lower right corner of this picture of my lovely travel companion Kari.

aa6519_03-1.jpg

aa6519_05-1.jpg

This park is special because it is said to be home of the first modern democracy in the formation of their Parliament and it was placed on the UNESCO's World Heritage Site list.
More to come as I sort these pictures.

Last edited:

IceRover

Iceland forums

SPertierra said:
Thank you, that about covers most of what I will need. A few things I can pack with my suit case, GPS, tire repair kit etc. I will decide how much I need depending on if I can find someone to join me. The dates are flexible, I don't want to go too late, but maybe as late as first wek of August. Do you know of a forum in Iceland that would be good to post to, in order to find someone willing to go along with?

Hi SPertierra, try f4x4.is which is the Icelandic 4x4 club's forum or e.g. islandrover.is which is the Icelandic Land Rover clubs forum. Both forums are in Icelandic but you can post questions in English and members will understand. There are always some members on the highland tracks. However as it is our home turf, planning horizon is usually quite short and it can depend on the weather where you travel on a particular weekend or vacation period. You can rent many different trucks in different price ranges from ..Old Lada Nivas to new Land Rover Defender 110's on 38" tires.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Here is a trek through the western fault line forming the Almannagja Fissure as continental drift between the North American and Euroasian plates separate within Thingvellir N. P.
aa6519_08-1.jpg

aa6519_09-1.jpg

aa6519_10-1.jpg

aa6519_12-1.jpg

aa6519_13-1.jpg

aa6519_15-1.jpg

Many of the same flowers that we have in Southcentral Alaska. Geraniums, Asters, and Angelica.
aa6519_14-1.jpg

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Time for some from Jokulsargljur National Park now combined with Skaftafell National Park and renamed Vatnajokull National Park. Many of these are of the Jokulsa River.

aa6519_01-1.jpg

aa6519_16-1.jpg

aa6519_17-1.jpg

aa6519_18-1.jpg

aa6519_24-1.jpg

aa6519_30-1.jpg

aa6519_32-1.jpg

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
Hey atlib,

where do you live? What kind of traveling you do?

Thanks for your offer !
Maybe we can meet, when we are next time to Iceland. Though we just cancled our snow tour in April .... :(

greetings Sönke

atlib

hey

I live in Mosfellsbaer about 10minutes from Reykjavik

I travel by 4x4 ATV´s Snowmobiles and I also just started Kayaking I just love traveling
keep in touch next time when you come to Iceland

now is the time to come to Iceland because of the icelandic krona has fallen over 80percent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online