Tunook Build Has New Life

Tank5

Adventurer
Sorry, no new updates on the camper. I have some smaller upgrades for the camper but have been preoccupied. I picked up a 71 Bronco and have been putting it together. The bronco will be for sale soon if anyone is interested. Then I will get back to the camper after the Bronco is finished.

Tank5

Adventurer
The next upgrade

The brakes on the Tunook do their job but it has gained some weight since I brought it home and I thought they could be better. I started looking into different ways to upgrade the brakes and while researching the topic I found out that the early 2000 and 2002 tundras had a brake caliper issue that caused some vibration. The fix was to upgrade the brake Calipers to a bigger size which later came factory on the 2003-2006 models. I found out that there were three different size calipers that came on the first Gen Tundra the smallest which is what I have at the moment then two larger sizes a Medium and a Large I will call them. I was lucky and found the larger calipers on a 2004 in a salvage yard and bought them.

Here is a link that describes the brake issue upgrade in detail if this is new info. to you. Was to me.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-brakes/117584-how-to-early-tundra-brake-upgrade/

The calipers seemed to be in good condition but I was not wanting to test their reliability on the Tunook after they came of a truck that crashed. So I ordered the Toyota rebuild kit and rebuilt them. I figured since I was going through all this that I might as well paint them so I bought some caliper paint (not so fancy black). My real motivation behind painting them was to hopefully keep the rust off for as long as possible.

I also bought some new EBC Extra Duty 9000 Series brake pads.

This is as far as I have got. I am hoping to install them this weekend. I am really interested to see what the difference will be. I will post more pictures after the install.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 84

Tank5

Adventurer
Joaquin,

I have not weighed it before and after modifications. The rear bumper was already on the rig when I got it (it was built stout). I added and built the box and swing out on the drivers side which is why I know the weight of those components. I weighed the box and swing out attachment as I built it trying to get an idea of what I was tasking the spindle with. I would like to replace the 57 pound box with an aluminum box but cost is preventing that for the time being. I tried to build the interior as light as I could. The heaviest parts being the counter tops and the plywood interior (about 3 sheets worth of 1/2 and about 1 sheet worth of 3/4). The rest of the framing I used ripped 2x4s and 1.5 x 3/4 pine. The plywood works out to about 180 pounds of material. The counter tops I estimate at 60 pounds (I will be reducing their weight soon). If I had to guess I would say the interior build weight added 400 - 450 pounds not sure.

Tank5

Adventurer
I ordered an Inno awning to add to the camper. I have been wanting to add one for a while but could not settle on anything that worked the way I wanted. I just found this the other day and could not pass it up. A little late, but has anyone had any experience, or know anything about this awning? I still have to figure out how to mount it, but when I do, I will update the progress. Currently, it is still being shipped.

Tank5

Adventurer
So, the Inno Awning came and it is still in the packaging. I wanted to mount it on the end of the Tunook over the door, but I cannot bring myself to drill holes in the side of the RV to mount it. So I simply have decided not to use it and go yet another direction. The Inno Awning is for sale if anyone is interested.

The plan is to install an aluminum c-channel along the aluminum edge, above the door. Then stich Awning welt to a custom or common square awning. The welt would slide into the channel anchoring the awning above the door while the rest is supported by poles and guy lines. I have already ordered the awning channel and welt. I just need to decide on the awning size and shape. I want something that will extend beyond the sides of the camper like wings to provide cover at the sides while cooking with the swing-outs opened.

Anyone want to recommend a shop where I can have a light weight awning made or buy it of the shelf. My initial thoughts for size are 18' x 12'-14'.

After I actually make some progress I will post some pictures.

mervo

Observer
Long time lurker first time poster.

Tank5, this is my favorite build on the Portal. Fantastic job to you and Oleg.

Tank5

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words. I am still waiting on stuff to come in the mail. Hopefully I will have something new to post soon.

Tank5

Adventurer
Thanks Oleg! That is a great compliment coming from the original builder. The wife and I are both really happy with it. One of the better deals I have made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior