Tunook Build Has New Life

nocean

Adventurer
Just got off the road spending 9 months with my Tundra and a FWC, this is amazing and would have made the trip a lot different. Would love to see how its coming.

Tank5

Adventurer
Just returned home from a camping trip without the Tunook. It is getting shipped home and should be here Tuesday. The rear axle started making some clunking noises about an hour outside of Las Vegas. A tow to the dealership and inspection reveled a bad wheel bearing and metal shaving in the diff fluid. The dealer wanted 2,7XX to reuild the axle with used parts or 5,2XX to rebuild it with new parts. We opted to tow it home and look at other options.

I am considering installing volvo portal axles under it and doing the SAS to the front. They are a little beefier than the stock axles and provide some more clearance. I would have to upgrade to stock 35" tires to help with highway speeds considering the gearing of the portals. Anyone out there have any experience with volvo c303 axles on an overland rig or a rig that is used on the highway with a v8?

pacer

Observer
Just returned home from a camping trip without the Tunook. It is getting shipped home and should be here Tuesday. The rear axle started making some clunking noises about an hour outside of Las Vegas. A tow to the dealership and inspection reveled a bad wheel bearing and metal shaving in the diff fluid. The dealer wanted 2,7XX to reuild the axle with used parts or 5,2XX to rebuild it with new parts. We opted to tow it home and look at other options.

I am considering installing volvo portal axles under it and doing the SAS to the front. They are a little beefier than the stock axles and provide some more clearance. I would have to upgrade to stock 35" tires to help with highway speeds considering the gearing of the portals. Anyone out there have any experience with volvo c303 axles on an overland rig or a rig that is used on the highway with a v8?
There is an old thread on Ih8mud where user @tirediron put Volvo axles under an 80 series and put plenty of miles on it.
He ran 37"s...

Do you have the axels?
Some have more desirable gearing than others...

Tank5

Adventurer
I am going to look at them today. The axles I looking at are supposed to have the faster 5.99 gearing ratio.

Thanks for the link I will see if I can find it on mud. I don't think I have read that one yet.

Tank5

Adventurer
Never mind I don't think the portal axles are going to work for me. I am looking for other axle options. Anyone swapped another axle under a first gen Tundra?

Tank5

Adventurer
I have not been on for a while.

I was mostly considering the SAS because I was looking at the portal axles and thought one in the rear only would look a little weird. I am going to stay with the IFS.

I decided to have a custom axle housing with cromoly shafts built by Diamond Axles. It will be built as a full float axle using all FZJ80 components with the ability to add a locker at a later date if i decide to do so. I am going to change the gearing from the stock 3.90 set to the 80 series 4.10 gears. So I pulled a new Tundra front diff. with 4.10s that will bolt up to the current IFS from a yard hear locally. I placed the order several weeks ago, so I am just waiting for it to arrive. I will post up some pictures after it arrives and the work starts.

Edit: I decided to go with the locker.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
You'll be very happy with that order. Brian builds awesome axles. Have a FF in the rear of my Tacoma.

pacer

Observer
Put the locker in right from the start. Even an Aussie if $ is the issue.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Tank5

Adventurer
Pacer, I agree. I decided that if I could find a toyota e-locker or ARB locker for the right price I would do the locker from the start. I just picked up an e-locker for it and hope it arrives in the mail soon. I talked to Brian a couple days ago and he said my axle build is still three weeks out. It has been down now for a little while and I hate it. I think next weekend I will start to get the newer front diff swapped in. I hope to be able to get the new axle installed pretty quickly after it arrives. I will post some picture of the progress after I get started.

Tank5

Adventurer
That is a pretty cool set up. I don't think it will work on my rig. Did you install it on yours?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
After researching this in greater ernest...I spoke to Brian at Diamond about this project. He's working up a scope of work for housing, axles & outers. I hope his Tundra FF project yields some cross-over parts/pieces for my FF project. Thinking about converting from OEM e-locker to Harrop electric at the same time.

Tank5

Adventurer
I was just asking questions about the Harrop elocker. Anyone have more information or personal experience with the Harrop elocker? The Toyota elocker I purchased has been lost in transit by FedEx, been missing for 11 days now. They want another week to try and locate it before they will pay the claim so I am stuck in limbo. The Harrop sounds like a nice replacement if the Toyota elocker never arrives. Sadly this may set me back a little as I was hoping to get it back on the road within a few days of receiving the axle build parts from Diamond Axles. Still could happen I will just try to stay patient as things work them self out.

I did finish installing the new front differential out of an 03 tundra with less miles and 4.10 gears to match what will eventually go in the new rear axle. Swapping out all that IFS stuff was pretty easy. I did not document it for technical value but did take a few pictures along the way.

I will also have to swap out the rims. With the new FF rear axle the center cap on the current rims will not fit. I picked up a set of 80 series Landcruiser rims that I will have powder coated a gun metal grey color. I hope to get them off to powder coat next week. The backspacing and lug pattern are them same so there should not be any fit issues.

I still have a good amount of work to do but hope to have it back on the road in the next three weeks or so depending on when the parts arrive.

Attachments

• P6120493.jpg
    P6120493.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 63
  • P6120490.jpg
    P6120490.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 59

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan