U.P. Overland 2010: Gone. Seen. Done.

TJDIV

Adventurer
UPO2010 was an epic trip this year. Not without challenges, Kristian had to zip off to New Zealand for work and our back up trip lead for Group 2 had a follow up interview that kept him away until day 3. Left for some interesting experiences but I really think we rocked it.

Our 3rd annual UPO trip focused more on the economic impact our events can have as we started at the Adventure Mine Company in Greenland, MI. Dozens of us enjoyed touring the old copper mine, what an odd, amazing place. Sean and I were the only two to jump at the longer tour rappelling down the old mine shafts and crawling through more technical terrain. I can't imagine doing that all by candle light!! We had a great night at Harlow on Friday the 13th with almost half the group taking off into Marquette to eat and experience the town. Ending in Munising after a PERFECT day on the trail several travelers headed home, others got a room, some camped and many enjoyed the boat tour options out of Munising, like the Shipwreck Tours Sunset Cruise.

So, here are some photos. I can't say enough about the cooperation, teamwork and friends made...truly a foundation for a great event for as long as we can continue to scout it!!

-Tom

Loading up 20 of the attendees in the Adventure Mine Pinz's to ride up to the top of the ski hill. We had hoped for a good sunset but the clouds moved in too quickly.
971129521_gbaGk-XL.jpg

Pulling into High Rock Bay at the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula. John and the Westy made the trip look easy :)
971128901_f5MQy-XL.jpg

Our welcoming party at High Rock Bay
971130047_Zd7CJ-XL.jpg

Drama on the high seas!! :D This young eagle made a half a dozen passes before moving along. The seagull wasn't too pleased :Wow1:
971130187_dGx6C-XL.jpg

Vince and Bettie taking it easy at High Rock Bay. A very cool couple, glad they made the trip. The EarthRoamer rocked!!
971130348_WsnAN-X2.jpg

Lake Superior was amazing both nights. I think everyone went for a swim that lasted much longer than the typical 15 second dip.
971130698_LGKqJ-XL.jpg

Lights on for safety!! We were lucky to get light rain every night, making for much less dust than we should have had.
971130743_aRbNE-XL.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

TJDIV

Adventurer
Quite the line up.
971130821_Gsbuv-XL.jpg

A father son trip that will live forever in memories.
971130935_2ehYJ-X2.jpg

Sean did amazing on the Yamaha. Not without challenges though!! ;)
971131152_TbGBy-XL.jpg

And it wouldn't be a UPO trip without this:
971131203_3H8jo-X2.jpg

Finding pavement :)
971131782_F6SC8-XL.jpg

Rocking the Gone. Seen. Done. shirt-
971132355_rEjp5-XL.jpg

James and the Troopy breaking off for the long haul back to NY.
971132539_8FsGU-XL.jpg

Coming Through:
971133049_YBsEN-X2.jpg

Leaning the way down the hill :D
971133474_gj75P-XL.jpg

Almost done
971133905_3fjEq-X2.jpg

Saying Goodbye.
971133954_ENt47-XL.jpg

Great trip..amazing time. More pics and videos to follow.

taco2go

Explorer
Tom, I can't say enough about your leadership and talent in handling the logistics for such a large group-it honestly did not seem that large at all- your hard work and prep paid off!! THANK YOU.

I enjoyed every minute, and had a blast meeting everybody. What amazing diversity! Will upload some pictures to this thread if you don't mind after work today.

PS-get a darker tan and you'll look like Jack Johnson too. Certainly can sing better :).

TJDIV

Adventurer
Tom, I can't say enough about your leadership and talent in handling the logistics for such a large group-it honestly did not seem that large at all- your hard work and prep paid off!! THANK YOU.

I enjoyed every minute, and had a blast meeting everybody. What amazing diversity! Will upload some pictures to this thread if you don't mind after work today.

PS-get a darker tan and you'll look like Jack Johnson too. Certainly can sing better :).

Thanks dude. The weather we've been having I might just work on that tan now ;)

That last night was incredible, watching shooting stars, distant lightning over the big lake and us jamming with the group on the rocks... wow.

Please do share the pics. And thanks again for everything.

-Tom

taco2go

Explorer
Getting ready to post some rig shots; we had an incredible variety- but this by far was the most interesting vehicle I encountered on UPO 2010.
Love the snorkle placement. :Wow1:

972094796_z8tqW-L.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Totally awesome.

This is too cool, you have just been nominated in the trip of the month contest!

Please add some comments/description if you wish!

TJDIV

Adventurer
Totally awesome.

This is too cool, you have just been nominated in the trip of the month contest!

Please add some comments/description if you wish!

Awesome, thanks!! I still have another camera to go through, including video :)
I suppose this could've gone in the completed events section, but considering the year long planning it's a hybrid!! :D

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
That last night was incredible, watching shooting stars, distant lightning over the big lake and us jamming with the group on the rocks... wow.

-Tom

For sure, super fantastic, and permanently seared into my hippocampus.
BTW the allure of the rocks and warm water was tempting enough for more than a few to emulate a rather cool profile picture : ;)

Hod
972238434_45gZG-M.jpg
972246709_Pev5r-M.jpg

Beth
972240195_SUj57-M.jpg

"Ian" (LUCKY, LUCKY Ian)
972242137_MEY6U-M.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
Gay Beach mid-morning of the 12th and the beginning of a classic "Gods Must Be Crazy" moment.

972083203_sEdFn-L.jpg

"Ai yai yai!"
972084770_c6yeJ-L.jpg

But the hardy cruiser cleaned up just fine.

972086584_tbq57-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears