Ugly Duckling 99 Jeep WJ - Intro and build - Compact weekender/overlander

dan0

Adventurer
I've been a registered member for a while but this is probably my first post or one the first. This is my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (car#38 for me, but that's another story) that I just purchased off eBay. It was a sight unseen as is deal. I've done it before but this one was a little different, done through a dealership and they don't post anything on the condition. So after about 5 miles down the road, part of a 250 mile trip back home I find the heater core is bad and misting antifreeze onto the windshield. Well that's a pain I didn't want to have to deal with but oh well.

So the plan is to fix it's flaws, It's got a few. Build a small bed / storage frame in the back. To begin with I'm planning on building it in the rear cargo area only, so that the rear seats can still be used and when I want to camp I can fold the seats down and then open up the bed frame. I'd also like to do a small solar panel on the roof to hopefully power a small TV and rasberry pi pc.

I've had a number of XJ's in the past, seven to be exact but always kind of wanted a Grand Cherokee. I'm building this Jeep to be able to live out of part time and travel with. I had a 99 Ford E150 I wanted to build up for the similar purpose but really wanted 4wd but I don't have the $$$ for a U-Joint Off Road conversion. I also like the compactness of the Jeep. Depending on what the future holds adding a roof box, removing the rear seats, and/or adding a trailer may fufill further space requirements.

Driving home, you can see the streaks on the windshield from the antifreeze residue. The car is hail damaged, hence the name Ugly duckling and the fact I'm not overly enthused about it's maroon color.

pic21.jpg

From the first night home with it.

pic22.jpg

Testing out Four low. I was all alone and had no recovery gear I didn't push it.

pic24.jpg

The gravel road underneath is only about 10+ feet wide before it drops off into swamps. So I really didn't want to push it.

pic25.jpg

On the repair list:
Windshield
Heater core
Passenger side mirror (the glass was sitting on the seat when I bought it) Already sourced a full replacement.
Driver's side seat back is broken and listing to one side
General tuneup / maint. Front ujoint is a little noisy, brakes have some pulsation, etc.

dan0

Adventurer
Got motivated started a little work removing some of the dash for the heater core replacement.

pic29.jpg

dan0

Adventurer
I've certainly gotten better deals on cars before this one but it still was fairly cheap. It was from Tom Masano auto group in PA. They put auto auction vehicles on eBay as-is, absolutely no warranty. It's like Russian roulette with cars. To complete the analogy I'd say I got shot but somehow survived with some repercussions. Didn't dodge the bullet, but the Jeep isn't dead. With their "doc fee" and 30 PA temporary plates I paid $862.

dan0

Adventurer
I've looked through your thread, you definitely have a better starting point.

I haven't pulled the flimsy running boards off the Jeep yet to see if anything is hiding underneath there but the Jeep is clean otherwise. Nothing on the rear fenders, underneath looks good (haven't fully crawled underneath it yet). Right front fender has a little rust from a crease where the paint chipped.

pic31.jpg

monte350

from what I've seen, the WJ's like to rust on the front fender lips and on the rear wheel arch next to the rear doors. I have started to like the WJ's and when I am done with my ZJ, I think I will look for one. looks good.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That's a screaming deal even with the work you need to do on it, just the engine would be worth $700+ around here, anxious to see the build progress.

dan0

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words, I was starting to think I got a bad deal on the Jeep. As for being able to find the deals, I'm just always searching craigslist and eBay, like every day. When I find an auction I'm always one to snipe in in the last 30 seconds and bid, to catch people off guard. Even now I just picked up the Jeep and another car within the same week, so I'm not really buying anything else until I get both of theme sorted.

This was my other recent score.
1997 Audi A4 Quattro - V6 - 5 speed - 165k miles. Maintained a VW tech (friend of mine). Needs an exhaust repair ($30 flex section and welding), a couple front control arms are worn ($300 for a full set), and a rear shock (going to do some cheap coilovers $4-500)

pic20.jpg

Bought it for $500

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You bid the same way I do, I never understood why people place bids hours or even days before an auction ends when it will only increase the amount they have to bid later, but the world lacks a lot of common sense in general. I have won many auctions for less than I expected to pay by waiting til the last 10-15 seconds.

dan0

Adventurer
24 hours left to go on an auction for some wheels and someone just made the first bid... I'll be sneaking in on that and hopefully score a set of 5 JK sport takeoffs.

dan0

Adventurer
It's cold, booo! So I bought a couple things for the Jeep today.

Five 17" JK Sport Wheels.

$229.12 + Free shipping to a COMMERCIAL address. The seller it it pretty clear. Good things I have friends at a VW dealership, wheels are getting sent there. I certainly don't need these now, but it's hard to pass up a deal. Bid in the last 15 seconds for the win.

And I ordered my heater core today along with an oil pressure sender (gauge reads off, jumps up when key is on before engine is running) and some hose clamp pliers from Summit Racing. $113.93. I considered ordering a couple of blend doors just in case but figured I'd wait until I was in there to see what shape they are in. Maybe build my own as I have seen some people doing.

Free score a couple of days ago was a couple M8 screws and plastic spacers from a TV wall mount hardware kit. These will be going on the 28" LED TV that I'm currently using as my PC monitor but will be going into the back of the Jeep for the same purpose, computer monitor.

Lastly $21 12v heater at Advance Auto. I've got to manage the next couple of days driving the Jeep in the freezing cold. I left for work in my daily driver (2000 VW New Beetle) got ten miles down the road and the temp light came on, no heat still ice cold, crap water pump ain't circulating. So I have to drive the Jeep for a little bit until one of my other cars is back together, then it's heater core time for the Jeep...

i did the blend doors the other day with DORMAN Part # 902320 from rock auto. it worked great. I have a 5% promo code if you need it.

dan0

Adventurer
Is there just the one set of two doors or two sets? I haven't researched it that much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior