Ugly Duckling 99 Jeep WJ - Intro and build - Compact weekender/overlander

CountryHandyMan

Unregistered Maine Guide
My 2000 Laredo had 2 doors on 1 shaft. My 1999 Limited with dual zone heat has 2 doors on 2 shafts. Nice score on your rig, I got both of mine under 500 each, but I couldn't drive either home. I love my Superduty and winch trailer.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
If your going through the trouble of ripping apart your dash I would replace the blend doors. If they aren't broken now the plastic will break sooner or later.

dan0

Adventurer
Well definitely not quite as planned... Because the whole dash isn't out like a couple of videos I briefly watched. Started the day replacing the p/s mirror, the glass was off and the tabs on the mirror were broken. Tested it's function before I disconnected the battery to start working on the heater core.

pic35.jpg

Done.

pic36.jpg

Then onto more dashboard fun. I didn't have a deep 10mm socket (or couldn't find it) so I took a ride and picked up one.

Still looking the same...

pic37.jpg

Removed my busted driver's seat.

pic39.jpg

In the process bashed my hand against part of the frame, leaving this pseudo smiley face cut on my hand.

pic38.jpg

And then got the dash cover off, but not the whole thing. Now I think I'll check back on a couple videos and see what I missed.

pic40.jpg

91AzXJ

Adventurer
Looks like such fun, not! I only need heat one or two days a year and it works good, but I don't think I would replace my core if it started to leak, just rerout the hoses. I do feel your pain!

dan0

Adventurer
Single digit mornings lately and an hour drive into work, not so much fun.

I need to source a new seat because mine is jacked up in two different ways.

pic41.jpg

pic42.jpg

MrWesson

Adventurer
Single digit mornings lately and an hour drive into work, not so much fun.

I need to source a new seat because mine is jacked up in two different ways.

pic41.jpg

pic42.jpg

car-part.com

look based on distance. It searches salvage yards nationwide.

dan0

Adventurer
Dash out of the Jeep. What a pain. Still have to get the heater box out or split in the Jeep replace the core and put everything back together. I think I'll put the cover back on the dash outside of the Jeep so it's easier one less thing to wiggle into the Jeep. Also need to clean up some wire mess from the remote starter that was in there.

pic43.jpg

Only "broke" two things so far. One side off a connector for the heater which was unexpected as the dash was halfway out (it's in about the middle of the picture) Second is this PITA screw that they say you have to remove for the floor vent, but after breaking it and then getting the dash out I think it's actually connected to the dash and could have come out with it.

pic44.jpg

Then I tried sucking up some of the coolant mess too.

pic45.jpg

AZJim

Observer
That's a major project. Good luck getting the coolant cleaned up. Getting it out of the carpet always drove me crazy, sometimes it was best just to chuck it and get a replacement.

Jim

dan0

Adventurer
Somebody parting out was selling a set for $200. I'm on a pretty tight budget so it's out right now. Hoping to find a replacement for under a $100

dan0

Adventurer
Doing some more heater core work, cold hands permitting.

Putting the dash back together that didn't have to come apart like this. Also since this is now spread over the course of a week or more. Trying to remember which hardware went where. I'm more organized than I usually am but that's still not that great.

pic47.jpg

dan0

Adventurer
Really gained momentum in the afternoon!

pic48.jpg

Hi-tech work bench!

pic49.jpg

Once the whole dash and heater box is out, the core is only on with three screws...

pic50.jpg

Once I got moving putting stuff back together the camera went away. Got nearly everything back together. Started it up, let it come up to temp and work the air out of the system. Heat feels good, just idling and light revs. When driving it should be amazing.

Held off on putting in my busted seat for now, may put it in if I need to drive the Jeep soon... Now I can get going on some of the fun stuff! Going to do a quick wood mockup of my sleeping platform. I want to do the final in steel with a pull out bottom table.

dan0

Adventurer
Now that the dashboard is back together, time to have a little bit of fun. Had some 2x4's laying around so I mocked up a quick bed platform. Not very comfortable right now because I haven't pulled down the sheet of plywood from the garage attic to lay some decking down on it.

pic53.jpg

mjmck

Observer
What is the length from the rear of the front seats to the rear hatch? I would plan to do the rear seat mod. (to remove the fold section that takes up more space.)

I had a 99WJ years ago and am looking at getting into another. I would like to be able to sleep in it when camping. Saves from pitching a tent! I'm just over 6' tall.

WJ looks good for minimal cost!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online