Unicorn on the Ocean - 1120AF Coming to Canada

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Final suggestion, build your camper electrical system at 24v (inverter/charger, batteries, B2B, etc.) to match the truck and add a step down transformer at the end. Much easier.
OT, but sound advice. Save complexity and cost and keep the electrical sub-system native voltage until you have to step down for smaller loads where needed. Our domestic side follows the same design principle. Works very well and quite efficient.

whomisi

The habitat electrical system will be either 24 or 48v. Only 48v as I might have a lead on some very affordable (free) batteries and inverter.... Otherwise I'll go 24v.

I woke up to a picture of the RORO ship sent by my dad, it's docked in the UK a few miles from his commute so he swung by to check on it 😂

IMG-20231010-WA0001.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
OT, but sound advice. Save complexity and cost and keep the electrical sub-system native voltage until you have to step down for smaller loads where needed. Our domestic side follows the same design principle. Works very well and quite efficient.
"OT"? He is building on a 24v truck. You are making my point, or was that your intention? Sorry, I don't understand "OT".

I made the point only because my truck, a similar Benz, is 24v but the camper builder built the electrical system at 12v, because that is what he had in stock. Then he spent over $1000 for an "equalizer" to pull off 12v. Which, in the end, simply killed one of the starter batteries and, because it was regulated to 13.5v, could never charge the AGM batteries. (Grrr!) I have scars.

Geo.Lander

"OT"? He is building on a 24v truck. You are making my point, or was that your intention? Sorry, I don't understand "OT".

I made the point only because my truck, a similar Benz, is 24v but the camper builder built the electrical system at 12v, because that is what he had in stock. Then he spent over $1000 for an "equalizer" to pull off 12v. Which, in the end, simply killed one of the starter batteries and, because it was regulated to 13.5v, could never charge the AGM batteries. (Grrr!) I have scars.

I actually managed to trickle charge my AGM starter battery the other day from my Lithium battery (I left the key rotated in my land rover, luckily the voltage senstive relay for the lithium battery kicked in). Lithium all seem to have similar charging voltages and profiles, even the starter lithium batteries. The cases when you will actually need to connect the house bank and starter batteries should hopefully not be too many.. So I would go with 49v if you can get the stuff for free 100%!

nickw

Adventurer
It took a long while, but I found my ideal spec truck. I haven't seen any other with this spec, and I couldn't be more excited it is on its way across the Atlantic. I'll keep a log of the build here, and share any useful knowledge I gain as I have learnt from others on this forum.

1992 1120AF Fire Rescue Truck from Lichtenstein. 15,000kms on the clock.
Shipped out of Belgium, it's landing in Halifax in about two weeks and I'll be driving it 5200kms back to BC where I reside.

The highlights of the truck, in order of importance to me:
1.5 Cab
- Idea for our growing family of three, plus dog. I could have cut down a longer cab but I really wanted this style if I could find it.
GV4/65 - 6Spd gearbox with splitter from factory. On a 4x4, I didn't see this on any other truck for sale. With axle ratios 5.25, the overdrive that comes with the split will give us 4.36. Comfortable cruising and all of the gearing choices.
Immaculate and well looked after condition, it truly looks like new. I haven't seen it in the flesh, so here's hoping the pictures are telling the truth!

Other cool features:
Telescopic light mast, I'd love to keep this for playing with when out in the middle of nowhere. It's powered from a 30kw generator that I will remove, so I'll switch the lights to run from our house battery.
Crazy dual pulley, drum cable storage, hydraulic winch thing. Rotzler Treibmatic.
Auto Chain Slingers (will probably pull these off)
Lower storage boxes - I will try and save these to bolt back up to the habitation box subframe when I get that far.
I think it has a microphone and loudspeaker too, but I am not sure. That will be fun for a while until it comes off.
The usual rear and centre locking diffs.
OM366LA engine, probably not even broken in at this mileage.

The Build Plan:
Shooting for an 18ft box, so I will extend the wheelbase from the 3.65 up to around 4.2m. I have the facility for this, just need to source the steel.
Composite box on a 4 point subframe, I'm not far from Andreas at Total Composites and we swung by to visit him last year.
The fairly common 385/65/r22.5 super singles
Live and travel for as much of our time as we can manage!

View attachment 799660View attachment 799661View attachment 799662
Cool truck! Does it look like the frame was re-sprayed red? I se overspray on the engine/wires and what looks like the steering shaft?

whomisi

Cool truck! Does it look like the frame was re-sprayed red? I se overspray on the engine/wires and what looks like the steering shaft?
Yeah it was, I have no idea when, it's an odd mix of things sprayed red and things not sprayed red! Perhaps Geser did it during the build? There's a good number of original build items not red, so that's why I think it was done when the truck was new. As to why... I have no idea.
The exhaust even has paint on it, which is crazy it hasn't burnt off. See below.

IMG_1526.JPG

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Intended to support your position, but thought electrical systems are best hashed out in a different sub-forum here on ExPo. Let's move on... and stay focused on supporting the OP.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Intended to support your position, but thought electrical systems are best hashed out in a different sub-forum here on ExPo. Let's move on... and stay focused on supporting the OP.
"OT" = Off Topic? Got it. Thank you.

However, as these trucks are such exotics in North America, I would submit that it is an important consideration. Especially as I know it can be done very wrong! :(

whomisi

I enjoy electrical systems and have build a few of my own lithium batteries and my westfalia has a DIY lifepo4 system. I'm looking forward to that aspect of the build. A ways away yet though!

On that topic.... Is the cigarette lighter socket in the cab on these 12v or 24? I see a that the batteries have an intermediate feed so something somewhere is using 12v. I know there's a 12v trailer hitch. Does the cab have a 12v feed too?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
I enjoy electrical systems and have build a few of my own lithium batteries and my westfalia has a DIY lifepo4 system. I'm looking forward to that aspect of the build. A ways away yet though!
Good! Then we can swap notes on alternator charging. Iiving in the beast I REALLY wish that there was a bracket for a second alternator. But most of the Germans dismiss this, claiming that the belt drive system does not have the power.

Interesting phenomenon with northern European sun. This spring it was very powerful. But now, in the Fall, even though we are getting a lot of sunny days (climate change) the actual insolation is only about one half of what we were getting in the spring, due to the lower sun angle. The US is just that bit further south so that winter sun, when the panels are cold, is often some of the best.

Will be interesting to see your results in Canada.

Geo.Lander

On that topic.... Is the cigarette lighter socket in the cab on these 12v or 24? I see a that the batteries have an intermediate feed so something somewhere is using 12v. I know there's a 12v trailer hitch. Does the cab have a 12v feed too?

There are pretty much no trailers, at least over here (Norway) that do not support 12-24V. My trucks systems are all 24V, including the trailer socket.

Last edited:

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Good! Then we can swap notes on alternator charging. Iiving in the beast I REALLY wish that there was a bracket for a second alternator. But most of the Germans dismiss this, claiming that the belt drive system does not have the power.
We have a secondary alternator installed on our truck that is driven by dual belts. This is in addition to our solar array and on board generator.

Mounting the alternator is indeed a challenge. Happy to share any info as requested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior