Unicorn on the Ocean - 1120AF Coming to Canada

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
The 500 units on each side is interesting.

500mm is almost 20 inches on either side of the frame filler. That makes the scale look funny. Like the frame is 24 inches deep.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
The 1996 Turkish manual at section 4.2 and 4.3 gives drilling dimensions too. They seem more concerned about hole placement than welding type or quality. I wonder if the bolt in angle plates are doing the real work.

whomisi

The 500 units on each side is interesting.

500mm is almost 20 inches on either side of the frame filler. That makes the scale look funny. Like the frame is 24 inches deep.
Yes it's odd, that length is going to clash with two cross members, and some reinforcing on the inside at the spring mount. In that case they say to weld onto any other reinforcing you find along the way.
And I suspect I need too add a cross member, but I'm unsure on the spacing requirements there. I may add one that holds the hydraulic winch pump anyway with a short driveshaft to the PTO.

The 1996 Turkish manual at section 4.2 and 4.3 gives drilling dimensions too. They seem more concerned about hole placement than welding type or quality. I wonder if the bolt in angle plates are doing the real work.
Yeah perhaps, they'll certainly be there in case a weld fails! I don't think big structural steel stuff has any of this when they butt weld sections together. So I feel like the angles are the backup. They're not as wide as the frame and certainly not as tall. There is a fair amount of welding detail, plus they call for qualified persons. That means the welding specifications are defined in those standards.

Sitec

Adventurer
Hello! What a clean tidy & cool truck you've managed to find! As other's have said, that larger cab is brilliant and something we'd have loved on ours! I wouldn't rush to extend the chassis, because the longer the chassis, the more work the subframe has to do. I built a rear bumper and spare wheel carrier off the back of our chassis that has the spare wheels sitting behind/under the body but carried by the chassis. I've incorporated a forklift style mast so we can lower the rear 'bumper' and wheels down to a more manageable height, because I was told early on that whatever I can do on the truck, my wife needs to be able to do (tip cab, change wheel, drive etc) in case of an accident when remote. We'll be following your build with interest! :)

Geo.Lander

Finally a big step, pulling the rear box. A bit sketchy unloading it in a soggy back yard with hi lift jacks, but now I have a big red shed! Boy was it a tight fit getting it back there.

Next steps are removing the generator, relocating the hydraulic pump, and extending the frame.

Does anyone have details on a hydraulic pump connected straight to the PTO? Mine runs off the back of the generator.

And anyone had their frame extended? I'm curious where others cut it and how they add the reinforcement called for in the Mercedes builders guide.

View attachment 823866
View attachment 823867
View attachment 823868
View attachment 823869
That hydraulic pump is massive! Good progress, feels really good getting the FD box off I know, next step is stripping off the redundant wiring, we had about 60kgs worth!

whomisi

Hello! What a clean tidy & cool truck you've managed to find! As other's have said, that larger cab is brilliant and something we'd have loved on ours! I wouldn't rush to extend the chassis, because the longer the chassis, the more work the subframe has to do. I built a rear bumper and spare wheel carrier off the back of our chassis that has the spare wheels sitting behind/under the body but carried by the chassis. I've incorporated a forklift style mast so we can lower the rear 'bumper' and wheels down to a more manageable height, because I was told early on that whatever I can do on the truck, my wife needs to be able to do (tip cab, change wheel, drive etc) in case of an accident when remote. We'll be following your build with interest! :)

Thank you, and yes I saw your wheel carrying system and was studying with great interest! I plan to either suspend my spare wheel from the chassis, or subframe. I don't like the idea of it hanging on the box itself. I only have one spare, so a little more managable.

I wish I could leave the chassis as it is, but we would be limited to 16ft of box, and I can't make a floorplan work for a growing family of 3+dog. Unless I did a rising roof, and at that point an extension is better. We want 18ft box, with bunk beds at the back and a lowering bed over the dining table at the front. But we're a little way away from making that final plan, so many things to decide on!

That hydraulic pump is massive! Good progress, feels really good getting the FD box off I know, next step is stripping off the redundant wiring, we had about 60kgs worth!
You may be looking at the 30kw 3 phase generator, in red? The pump is fairly compact and hangs off the back, I need to move it so it bolts directly to the PTO without a driveshaft big enough to push a car like the generator needed!

That is a serious amount of wiring, I don't think we have that much, I pulled a lot before the box came off. Certainly need to strip lots of air lines for trailer brakes, simplify those circuits as best I can. Maybe move air tanks around, source fuel tanks to hang up front. I'm shooting for 2x200l. Then there is a new battery box since it was inside the rear box, in which I will also install the tilt pump mechanics and perhaps some other mechanical items that can live in a vented box. Oh and remove the auto tyre chains.... oh boy oh boy is this a long road haha.

IMG_20240312_151102-2000.jpg

whomisi

The teardown phase is just about complete, next step is cutting the frame for the extension. I need to source some material that matches the specs, European standards versus Canada makes that a little challenge but I have the help of a well qualified welder.

I still can't get over how clean this truck is, the brake shoes still have paint on the.

IMG_20240329_123205.jpg

Apart from forgetting to unwind the mega winch, the chassis stripping was easy. Air system including removing trailer brake valves, giant pintle hitch, fuel tank, subframe, wiring, all pulled out. I had to plumb the winch back in to unwind it by manually turning the pump.
IMG_20240409_182706.jpg

Next step is to make some frame stands, get the material and bend it before welding in. Then I'll add the reinforcement and build an extra cross member. This will also hold the air tanks as I'll move those inboard.
IMG_20240409_181844.jpg

That awkward moment when the old van meets the new truck...
IMG_20240405_092203.jpg

What do people do for exhaust exit? I'm going to ditch the stack and don't want to go right to the rear. Where does yours exit? Pics appreciated.

Geo.Lander

The teardown phase is just about complete, next step is cutting the frame for the extension. I need to source some material that matches the specs, European standards versus Canada makes that a little challenge but I have the help of a well qualified welder.

I still can't get over how clean this truck is, the brake shoes still have paint on the.

View attachment 830705

Apart from forgetting to unwind the mega winch, the chassis stripping was easy. Air system including removing trailer brake valves, giant pintle hitch, fuel tank, subframe, wiring, all pulled out. I had to plumb the winch back in to unwind it by manually turning the pump.
View attachment 830702

Next step is to make some frame stands, get the material and bend it before welding in. Then I'll add the reinforcement and build an extra cross member. This will also hold the air tanks as I'll move those inboard.
View attachment 830703

That awkward moment when the old van meets the new truck...
View attachment 830704

What do people do for exhaust exit? I'm going to ditch the stack and don't want to go right to the rear. Where does yours exit? Pics appreciated.

Do you have the MB chassis builder guide? Extending members are bolted not welded in the guide, and in the EU it is not allowed to weld directly to the chassis at.
Our new exhaust exits right down under the air tanks facing down as opposed to the side. I can get a picture later.

whomisi

Do you have the MB chassis builder guide? Extending members are bolted not welded in the guide, and in the EU it is not allowed to weld directly to the chassis at.
Our new exhaust exits right down under the air tanks facing down as opposed to the side. I can get a picture later.
I do yes, and I think I've got my head around the process. The bolted in portion is the reinforcing/backup angle parts that extend 500mm past the extension weld.
A picture would be great thank you, I've noticed a lot of commercial box trucks have their exhaust do the same. But I'm thinking if it points out I can keep an eye on exhaust colour and it won't stir up as much dust. I think I'll have it exit just ahead of the rear wheel.

Trail Talk

With apologies to the OP for this sidebar discussion but M-B wagons have always tugged at the heart. We currently drive an S212 wagon and previously a W124 sedan, so the combo is irresistible. OK, back to regular programming...

1994 E500.jpg2016 E400 RENNTech.jpg

Geo.Lander

I do yes, and I think I've got my head around the process. The bolted in portion is the reinforcing/backup angle parts that extend 500mm past the extension weld.
A picture would be great thank you, I've noticed a lot of commercial box trucks have their exhaust do the same. But I'm thinking if it points out I can keep an eye on exhaust colour and it won't stir up as much dust. I think I'll have it exit just ahead of the rear wheel.

Here she is, pretty simple stuff, although Ive not had her on really dry dirt roads yet...
IMG_9259.JPG

whomisi

Thank you for that, certainly would be the easiest and least intrusive option, I'll see how packaging our storage boxes goes and what room I have. Our boxes will likely be mounted to the subframe so they'll move with the habitat, but I'm not 100% on that yet. Might suspend them from the chassis rails.
Here she is, pretty simple stuff, although Ive not had her on really dry dirt roads yet...
View attachment 831894

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior