Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Man I am really trying very hard to not have serious lust for one of these things. We've got the camper, but I'm starting to do more solo little bike trips and taking the camper really seems kinda silly. Plus I like the idea of pulling into a rest stop and just popping it up and sleeping for a bit and then heading out- no muss no fuss. Ah well, I'll drool for a while longer before I decide to get one...

Samuelwoo

I am picking up a J30 top painted Anvil first week in Feburary. I can't wait to use it. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it installed in San Diego.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I am picking up a J30 top painted Anvil first week in Feburary. I can't wait to use it. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it installed in San Diego.

Can't wait to see a J30 in anvil! Did you have the whole top painted or just the top of the popup? Been struggling to decide what would look better...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Great color choice! ;)

Looks like there have been changes...
Your hinge assembly looks like it is stainless vs painted black.
It looks like the top raised up higher (could be an illusion but I'm very jealous if that's true).
And there are indentations for an awning maybe on the sides?

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Well now I want a new one for the height. Lol

Wiant I don't know if there is a weight limit? But I general I'd say if you fit it's probably okay. A large couple isn't going to get up there so well anyway.

Amy H

Observer
How much taller do you think it opens now? Wondering if wind would catch it more. I do like the idea of being able to sit up in the top more than just laying crouched over. I see the adjustable rails for the roof rack are still available too. Very nice.

Ursa Minor

Updates: 2014 Ursa Minor Vehicles J30

As sharp eyes have noticed, we are shipping the newest version of the J30! We have incorporated both feedback from customers and our own experiences building, installing and camping. I'll post a more details and photos when we get a finished unit on the company Jeep, but the here are the basics:
- Increased headroom, going from about 31" on the earlier generation to 42" at the rear - enough room to sit up inside easily, and creating more standing room in the access way.
- More stainless steel components. Most of our fasteners have always been stainless, a carry over from our boat building origins, but we now run the scissor hinges in stainless too.
- Integrated pads on both sides of the shell which make it easy to fabricate brackets for things like awnings, ladders and lifting points.

Not as visible...
- New cleaner profile where the tent mounts
- More space when closed, about 1" or so at the rear
- New options for outlets/switches in the sleeping area
- Blue Sea power bus, ties all power into one block in the camper which can be easily added on to by owners
- Any number of general improvements in how we build/fabricate them.

How much taller do you think it opens now? Wondering if wind would catch it more
Amy - it's a little taller, so yes there is more area exposed but it's unlikely to be significant. In a side blow, the vehicle tends to rock but that was true in the previous version as well.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So are you going to have to change the name of it from the J30 (30 degrees) to something else like the J36 then?

Nice to see the improvements of course!

Any news on the side "windoor" hatch option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears