• CN015_021JPtrsarhum0b2cuccshvnrbg0jo4.jpg
    CN015_021JPtrsarhum0b2cuccshvnrbg0jo4.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 37
  • CN015_027JP7h000992gm7sq1j1u6lsvbg9ck.jpg
    CN015_027JP7h000992gm7sq1j1u6lsvbg9ck.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 36

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Pretty awesome, minus the spare relocation. But it will never be produced for market anyway, just like every EJS concept.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I see it as the next "G" wagon. All the rich and famous people will want one. It'll become a $100K vehicle.

aluke0510

Adventurer
Defenders don't come close to competing with Jeeps. Where we interpreted my statement of government regulations forcing Jeep to loose so much heritage and modify/builders pallet qualities in 1997 to it being competition for a Defender or that Jeep is the reason everything went south in 97 beats me.

It is all in the specs. A 110 competes with full size trucks yet has proper off road ability. A 90 competes with the Bronco; a long gone vehicle. In a Jeep by the time you fill it with fluids and put bumper on it and a add some passengers you only have the payload left to carry a can of beer.

The Jeep went south because of many reasons I won't name them all; they came in waves really starting with the YJ. The big changes hit in the TJ though. You could no longer load it up heavy and feel comfortable with the suspension, you could no longer rip off the dash and revise it to your liking, etc. The heritage of Jeep was built on utilitarian move you where you need to go, farm, work, travel, back country. Jeep transitioned due to a transition in market base to the more cargo pants, clean shoes, drive to a hiking trail or pull its speed past the Eisenhower tunnel to go skiing. Government regulations and roll over lawsuits had a big step. Is Jeep proud of the change, I bet they are it made them a lot of money. North American overlanding is a very different methodology to south america, africa, australia, etc.

You are going to see a big loss in the way the defender is now. Jeep was just an example of the way society is pushing, especially in the US. You can do the same comparison to the land rover discovery. Nobody wants a slow, reduced comfort and safety but light weight, noisy, truck to load up with hay or fill up with two weeks of water food and supplies for a bush camping trip. Those of us sorry about it well we just drive old cars :). My dream is a blue series IIa 109 pickup with white top, chevy v6 engine, 5 speed manual and a dana 300 transfer case, g-wagon plaid seats, and no cup holder.

Where governments get off thinking that airbags, front end crash ratings, etc keep you safe beats me. Driving style, etiquette, responsibility, give a dam about other people, not rushing, etc. do far more.

Last edited:

bri

Adventurer
Ah... right. Fortunately those things you mention and many other technologies actually do make a big difference.

I don't disagree with some of your statements, but really its not giving a darn that matters. It is the fact that many people can't drive well. It is a physical and mental thing car manufacturers have to improve their safety. I think the only thing that will make be rush out and buy a brand new car will be when they can drive themselves. Sign me up now.

SuperTrooper

Observer
This is opinion. Here is mine.

I have had the wonderful experience of driving a 2007 4dr TJ and it was horrific compared to the '93 that I owned.

Part engine since my 93 had the inline 6. Part build quality. The doors are like tin cans. They use $.02 webbing as door limitors. Not comfortable in the slightest. Crap for engine and autotrans.

Just a piece of **** and disgrace to the jeep brand. I was still a proponent until Feb, when I drove one.

If it is not pleasant to drive, it won't make it to any serious off road evaluation, in my book.

After driving one for a week, I know I will never own a wrangler. Have heard they have improved in later years. I seriously wanted to like it too, but the '07 was so horrific, I doubt I will ever give a TJ a chance.

The TJ was from 1997 to 2006 and they still had the 4.0 I6 engine. It was a vast improvement over the YJ with the addition of coil sprung/linked axles. The 2008 was the first year of the JK with the standardized 3.8 v6 used in various other Chrysler models. Ive read that the later 3.6 V6 was a much better engine for the JK.

DougC

Observer
Ok--so, for me it will be between the new Defender and the Jeep JK Unlimited. Form and function will drive my decision because the price will likely be about the same. I have had lots of 4x4s and always seem to return to Land Rovers or Jeeps. They have never let me down off road and are easily modified for my purposes. Any news on any of the new Defender or Wrangler models are greatly appreciated.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Why?
Think of the family Rover has and were it will fit?

Range = Baller The Evoque starts at $41k Sport starts at $64k And the Big Daddy $84

Discovery = Family The new Disco sport stats at $37 Disco 4 starts at $50

Defender = Adventure Why is it so hard to think that the Defender would start at in the high 40s?

Why? The Dollar/Pound exchange rate for one. That they'll be exporting to the U.S., not building here fore another. That Land Rover USA will be pimping each one ordered to the maximum for a third. I seriously doubt one will be found in these shores for less than $80,000.00, once they arrive. Current Jeep owners are not going to be the target demographic.

greynolds

Observer
Some of that has to do with manufacturing capacity. If Land Rover ramped up production to the point where the dealers actually had vehicles on their lots to sell when a customer walks in, there might be a possibility of having actual base models available. When pretty much every vehicle is sold before the paint has had a chance to dry, why wouldn't the dealers order them with as many options as they can?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
They'll make more money selling a few, high content models than on floor-planning a bunch of bare-bones base models on dealer lots. There is also the justification for a high price point to prevent undercutting the sales of existing models.

Blueboy

Adventurer
That is why land rover is building another assembly plant in Brazil, to lower cost of shipping and labor.

They already have a plant there. When we lived in Brasil my 110 was made in that plant. The workers were very proud of their Defenders and the GM commented on how his 110s didn't leak. Was true as mine certainly didn't.

Main reason for a plant in Brasil is import duties. Majority of car manufacturers such as Ford have plants in Brasil.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden

I feel that the new Defender has nothing to do with the current Defender, should probably not have the same name as I think it will be a luxury city suv and will target different people. I think the new model (Defender???) will cost alot.
X
We import Jeep from US and Defender from UK, a Defender 110 cost about 10 000 euro (100 000 swedish kronor) more than a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. I think the Defender looks slightly more manly, militarian cooler than the Wrangler. The Defender have sturdier frame and it is bigger and built in alu, but feelt it was a old design, I feelt in some way for money worth maybe the Defender 110 should cost about 10 000 euro less than the Wrangler or maybe the same:sombrero:
X
I have driven diesel Defender and wrangler Rubicon Diesel and diesel is not for me, slow and noisy. Have driven with sticks all my life, test drove a Wrangler with auto, wow how good. I went with a Wrangler unlimited Rubicon that cost about 10 000 euro less, has a auto and a very powerfull pentastar engine and have 3 diff locks and for me a more nice interior and have airbags. Also the road tax for a Defender here is about 950 Euro a year and is about 390 Euro for the petrol Wrangler a year.
X
Wrangler and Defender
158510456.jpg

X
Here You can se the swedish prices
X
Almost all vehicles in Sweden for sale are on this site, there are only 4 Defender 110 for sale compared to 42 Wrangler unlimited, the Defender 110 do not sell much here in Sweden, reason is that a Wrangler is almost like a normal vehicle and it is easier to drive as a dayli driver compared to the Defender.

http://www.bytbil.com/bilar/sokresultat/A2ABUDIAAY0pekgAYAA_!?Brand=Land+Rover&Model=Defender

and

http://www.bytbil.com/bilar/sokresultat/A2ABUDIAAYvzd0oAMAA_!?Brand=Jeep&Model=Wrangler+Unlimited

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle