USA Defender Officially Coming?

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
They already have a plant there. When we lived in Brasil my 110 was made in that plant. The workers were very proud of their Defenders and the GM commented on how his 110s didn't leak. Was true as mine certainly didn't.

Main reason for a plant in Brasil is import duties. Majority of car manufacturers such as Ford have plants in Brasil.
I am talking about a entirely new plant , that is built along a new plant in India. Both will cater to local markets so to speak.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I suspect currency wars are playing havoc with any manufacturing plant decision, not just JLR.

As for JLR:

Jaguar Land Rover likely to build US plant... in three years

A noted in the article

- JLR is on a rapid expansion path. Adding more "expansion" is probematic.
- NA suppliers are not ready to supply the components (aluminum chassis, etc)
- Labor cost/site decision needs time
- Current volume does not justify another plant. When Discovery Sport and Defender increase overall volume that will be the decision point.

Any new defender will need to take into account the trajectory of the EU and US regulatory environment, out 10-20 years? Plus it will need to differentiate itself from competitors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see true off-road hybrid technology introduced.

Edit add: And just as I noted hybrid:

Even Airstream does arctic circle testing

Spy shots come frequently from the arctic showing auto engineers testing vehicles from all over the world. The frigid temperatures and slippery conditions there offer the perfect opportunity to put a future product through its paces. The models aren't usually hauling a 27-foot-long Airstream camper, though.

Land Rover did just that for a test of the Range Rover Sport Hybrid. A team from the company took one of the luxury, electrified SUVs to Airstream Europe headquarters in Mengerskirchen, Germany. To really put the whole vehicle to the test, the group loaded up a winterized version of the shiny, aluminum camper brand's 684 model, and when packed with gear, the trailer tipped the scales at 5,510 pounds..........

PRESS RELEASE

RANGE ROVER SPORT HYBRID TOWS AIRSTREAM 2500 MILES IN GRUELLING ARCTIC COLD WEATHER TEST

• Range Rover Sport Hybrid tows 8.25 metre, 2.5 tonne trailer over 2,500 miles to
the Arctic Circle

• Patented hybrid technology contributes to a mighty 700Nm of vehicle torque to provide strong, precisely controllable performance for towing in extreme weather

• Trailer Stability Assist technology proves its worth in high winds on exposed bridge

• Gale-force winds, record snow depths and icy road conditions test vehicle, rig and crew to their limits

Whitley, UK, 19 February 2015: Land Rover has teamed up with Airstream on an adventure to the Arctic Circle to demonstrate the capabilities of the new Range Rover Sport Hybrid. ........."

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
.... a winterized version of the shiny, aluminum camper brand's 684 model, and when packed with gear, the trailer tipped the scales at 5,510 pounds..........

This just pisses me off more about another brand that offers all the "cool models" outside of the North American market. Airstream only sells the standard super tongue heavy, non-winterized, models here. The massive tongue weights, due to axle placement, result in pretty much requiring a heavy tow vehicle. In Europe the same trailers box, but with axles placed more to center, can be safely towed by most station wagons. For example, the 28ft I was considering has a tongue weight of 883 only carrying a couple full propane bottles, no food, no gear, no personal items. My LR3 is barely rated to haul it, on paper not even quite but in reality it could do it. TW of 900 lbs would definitely not be safe in anything smaller though like a Volvo XC70, Audi A6 Avant, BMW 5 wagon, etc.

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
I doubt it. I know LR hit a home run with the LR3 and RRs, but I just feel it in my bones that they will ruin the new defender.

RoyJ

Adventurer
This just pisses me off more about another brand that offers all the "cool models" outside of the North American market. Airstream only sells the standard super tongue heavy, non-winterized, models here. The massive tongue weights, due to axle placement, result in pretty much requiring a heavy tow vehicle. In Europe the same trailers box, but with axles placed more to center, can be safely towed by most station wagons. For example, the 28ft I was considering has a tongue weight of 883 only carrying a couple full propane bottles, no food, no gear, no personal items. My LR3 is barely rated to haul it, on paper not even quite but in reality it could do it. TW of 900 lbs would definitely not be safe in anything smaller though like a Volvo XC70, Audi A6 Avant, BMW 5 wagon, etc.

Out of curiosity, if tongue weight is holding you back, have you ever though of re-locating the heavy batteries + propane tanks to the rear of the trailer?

2 30lbs tanks plus 2 batteries can weight up to 200 lbs. If you remove 200 lbs off the tongue, you're actually reducing 200 + 200(rear overhang / front overhang) from the trailer due to the fulcrum effect. So if your overhand ratio is 3:2 (axle placed 60% down the trailer), then you're removing 200 + 200(2/3) = 333 lbs off the hitch.

Pain in the *** to re-wire and re-plumb all the gas lines, I know, but a lot easier than re-locating the axles!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Direct competition for the JKU.

In poser form only. Base package Defender (small street tires, no low range) at $49k versus a loaded up (including block heater, smokers group, body color top/flares etc) JK Rubicon Hard Rock at $50,255?

Not competition unless you only care about the lifestyle image.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
In poser form only. Base package Defender (small street tires, no low range) at $49k versus a loaded up (including block heater, smokers group, body color top/flares etc) JK Rubicon Hard Rock at $50,255?

Not competition unless you only care about the lifestyle image.

Strange. Didn't realize that low range was an option on defenders. I can't imagine spending 50k on a wrangler. That's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greynolds

Observer
Strange. Didn't realize that low range was an option on defenders. I can't imagine spending 50k on a wrangler. That's insane.
AFAIK, low range being an option is just an assumption (based on what's happening with some of Land Rovers other newer products) at this point given that the specs for the new Defender haven't been announced yet... It was always a standard feature on the outgoing model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle