VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

DzlToy

Explorer
It was just general info regarding the F450/F550 brakes, different knuckles, etc. for those who may be interested.

Be careful with "bigger is better" on the calipers. I went through this a while back with a mate of mine on a Dodge truck and there was a formula to figure out swept area and some other things to really narrow down exactly what you need for the most stopping power. Example: most would "assume" that a four piston caliper is better than a two piston caliper, but due to pressure, piston size and some other variables, that is not always the case. I am not a mechanical engineer, but there is a science to all of this.

Sadly people buy "hype" and they may not be getting what they actually need.

I agree with you on the smaller diameter wheel on a larger tire, especially for slower speeds. At higher speeds, the undamped compression and rebound of the sidewalll can be an issue however. I will see if I can find the site we used to size the brake package and edit this post if I do.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Anyhow, I was wondering if an aftermarket caliper like SSBC makes much of a difference or is the best bang for the buck simply bigger brakes. I suspect the latter, especially with regard to shedding heat.

According to Chris at UJOR, the SSBC 8piston and 13" rotor setup "feels" and performs similar to the RSC 14.5" kit at 3x the price. No official tests yet, but hopefully in the future.

Remember, these rotors are 1.5" thick(thickest in the industry from what we've seen--as we were working on our BBK) so they're probably quite the heat sink.

And my SSBC setup just landed. Thanks much to Chris at UJOR for pushing it thru!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
According to Chris at UJOR, the SSBC 8piston and 13" rotor setup "feels" and performs similar to the RSC 14.5" kit at 3x the price. No official tests yet, but hopefully in the future.

Remember, these rotors are 1.5" thick(thickest in the industry from what we've seen--as we were working on our BBK) so they're probably quite the heat sink.

And my SSBC setup just landed. Thanks much to Chris at UJOR for pushing it thru!

Yes, according to my independent study and my booty, the feel is the same (RSC kit with 14.5" rotors and a stock caliper vs the stock truck rotor with SSBCs)

Just to clarify , the RSC upgrade is a complete axle upgrade, not just the brakes.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I know it'd require a lot of fabbing and cutting, but do you think it'd be possible to still fit a winch and suck the front bumper in another 4-6"?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I know it'd require a lot of fabbing and cutting, but do you think it'd be possible to still fit a winch and suck the front bumper in another 4-6"?

I don't think that would work out that well. The top, sides and inner structure would have to be heavily modified to go back farther. The biggest problem would be the sides... The shape would be way off if you took 4-6" more off.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Sixstringsteve - it's not as bad in person as it looks in the photos. The photos make it look a lot more pronounced but when you see it in person it looks like it belongs no problem and like I mentioned before would give you a wide enough step to work in the engine compartment. Just my opinion though...

Railvan

Adventurer

Very curious about this brake upgrade when you are done. How it works and feels, and how much related work it was to change other things to make it work, beyond the rotors and calipers. I have a 2006 SMB 4x4 conversion which uses the stock Ford E-350 brakes and rotors and would love to upgrade at some point.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Very curious about this brake upgrade when you are done. How it works and feels, and how much related work it was to change other things to make it work, beyond the rotors and calipers. I have a 2006 SMB 4x4 conversion which uses the stock Ford E-350 brakes and rotors and would love to upgrade at some point.

Ok, I'll definitely update, but it may be some time. Going to use these front brakes up first to get my $$ out of them.
But the SSBC setup is just their 8piston front "V8" caliper set w/ pads, their BigBite L/R rotors, and that's it. My longer SS brake lines from my UJOR 4x4 setup should still work. Van is due for its 2yr brake flush so we'll do that too(vs just a bleed);
http://ssbrakes.com/c-624171-vehicle-specific-products.html

Of course if I'm up your way(Mt. Vernon) you could drive down a bit to meet me and drive it to feel for yourself...although I don't drive the beast up north too often.

PS--IM back atcha Steve.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

The SSBC calipers are for 99-04 F series axles so they won't work on your axle unfortunately.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, according to my independent study and my booty, the feel is the same (RSC kit with 14.5" rotors and a stock caliper vs the stock truck rotor with SSBCs)

Just to clarify , the RSC upgrade is a complete axle upgrade, not just the brakes.

Good clarification Chris. If I didn't already have a full axle, I'd be going with the RSC setup I think.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Jeremy, I remember reading the feature about your Gwagen and thinking, "Man, this guy really gets the details right." Now seeing your van, I know my assessment was dead on. And the way I see it, if you would leave that ride for an E350, my vanaticism is validated.

Thanks for your build thread. Tons of great info about the TempCoat, louvers, brakes, winch, battery wiring and especially bumper, which I love. I had a few questions about it:

1. Which ARB did you start with? I read the relevant pages twice but didn't see it specified.
2. Will MG do this mod for others? Not just the mounts, but also the bumper cutting and welding and winch T-handle move?
3. Do you guys have any plans for a bull bar/grill and light guard?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
1. ARB Sahara for '08 Ford Super Duty trucks.

2. Yes, certainly. PM me for more details. The winch mod was specific to that winch model. Other winches may need different or no mods.

3. I'm planning something for my van. I go through designs in my head all the time but I haven't settled on anything yet.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Thanks MG. I'm Steelhead Jones over on the SMB forum and have been following your 6.7 Cummins thread religiously, mostly with my jaw on the floor. Amazing work, man. Talk about getting the details right...

I noticed ARB has a Sahara for '99-'04 Ford Super Duty trucks too. If my van is a '99 would I go with that one, or still with the '08?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179