VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Thanks MG. I'm Steelhead Jones over on the SMB forum and have been following your 6.7 Cummins thread religiously, mostly with my jaw on the floor. Amazing work, man. Talk about getting the details right...

I noticed ARB has a Sahara for '99-'04 Ford Super Duty trucks too. If my van is a '99 would I go with that one, or still with the '08?

Thanks for following along with the build! The only ARB bumper I've worked with is the '08 Sahara and that is what the mounts are designed for. The bumper will work with '92-current E-series vans.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Any plans for a rear bumper/ tire carrier?

Kinda underwhelmed by the price vs owner reviews for the aluminess solution.

Last edited:

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Does anyone know if Jeep JK bumpers can be modified to fit Ford E series vans? Too narrow?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy, I remember reading the feature about your Gwagen and thinking, "Man, this guy really gets the details right." Now seeing your van, I know my assessment was dead on. And the way I see it, if you would leave that ride for an E350, my vanaticism is validated.

Thanks for your build thread. Tons of great info about the TempCoat, louvers, brakes, winch, battery wiring and especially bumper, which I love. I had a few questions about it:

1. Which ARB did you start with? I read the relevant pages twice but didn't see it specified.
2. Will MG do this mod for others? Not just the mounts, but also the bumper cutting and welding and winch T-handle move?
3. Do you guys have any plans for a bull bar/grill and light guard?

Sorry for being MIA, other priorities taking my time lately.
Thanks for help answer MG.
#3 MG and I had discussed this, but at the time we were under the gun to get the bumpers on, and hadn't finalized a bull bar/hoop we liked. I'd like to do one eventually for the Rigid 30" bar that will be going up front, but it's not high on the priority list right now (I'll just be extra careful to not nudge anything with the front end).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Let's see, what else is new with VANdiana....

--Swapped out the old DEKA Intimidator AGM battery in the Nat'l Luna Power Pack for an Interstate AGM(made by EnerSys I believe).
--Had a great time at NW Overland Rally with our friends of www.roamrentals.com. We snuck out a day early and dispersed camped along the Teanaway River, hiked Iron Peak(The Enchantments are incredible!);
IMG_8304_mod.jpg
(Yes, Maxtrax are currently not on. I need to re-install the re-strengthened bracket)
IMG_8290.jpg
--Still have a pile of parts to install at some point.
--Still need to refine an interior setup. Gone from 4 Sienna's to 2 and a Transformer flip bench, back and forth, back and forth. Still no free lunch so I'll need to tick as many boxes as possible and roll with it.

ricardo

Observer
Okay I did not read every page on the Van like i did on the grey G500..

But I do get the way you like to do things "Just right" but also keep evolving every week..

Well take a look at this Extrusion system, is far from a "Budget" system but at the end is way cheaper, faster and efficient than keep getting one-off parts manufacture and TIG welded, it change the "Prototype Mule" world in a second..
https://www.google.com/search?q=80-20+extrusions&rlz=1CAASUD_enUS636US636&espv=2&biw=911&bih=421&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyr-vIoojPAhUYzmMKHS9_DPkQ_AUIBygC

ricardo

Observer
No water tanks in this design, this is a camping rig design, not an RV design.

For a few years I was part of a organizacion that "Rent" space and services using Paris Dakar trucks for motorcycle privatiers.

In all sincerity I have no idea how you can come up with all the stuff to fill all those boxes (all that space is for a "LIfer") yes our trucks where bigger but not much more than 30% and we carry seven complete but dispensable KTM 640 ADventure rally bikes, tires galore, sleeping gear, every tool imaginable (Heavy equipment) and a million spares for the truck too..

Plus very precise inventory, after all this rides pay cray amount of money per pound and they don't have much patience to wait for a part that can not be found..

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
For a few years I was part of a organizacion that "Rent" space and services using Paris Dakar trucks for motorcycle privatiers.

In all sincerity I have no idea how you can come up with all the stuff to fill all those boxes (all that space is for a "LIfer") yes our trucks where bigger but not much more than 30% and we carry seven complete but dispensable KTM 640 ADventure rally bikes, tires galore, sleeping gear, every tool imaginable (Heavy equipment) and a million spares for the truck too..

Plus very precise inventory, after all this rides pay cray amount of money per pound and they don't have much patience to wait for a part that can not be found..

I think the schematic makes the boxes look a whole lot sizable than they actually are. Kitchen kit, vehicle parts spares, camping tools/gear, pantry for dry food, even some minor clothes storage, even the bare bones components add up quickly.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Was aiming to take VANdiana to Klamath Nat'l Forest in NorCal this past weekend for some remote camping, but when driving home Friday pm(15min after doing a full inspection on him/airing up tires/checking fluids/etc) to pick up the missus to head out of town, coming off the freeway at 60mph, he decided to give up his power brakes. Pretty scary!! Thankfully I wasn't one someone's tail and noticed the issue right away (very firm brake pedal, takes forever to stop). Pulled into an empty parking lot, popped the hood to check the rubber vacuum line to the brake booster--ok, no issues...no large vacuum leak noise, no fluids leaking underneath. Thinking possibly brake vacuum pump on the front of the block(relative is master Ford tech and this is his thought), or maybe brake booster. Should be remedied next week.

So we loaded the wagon instead with all the bare bones camping gear, Front Runner popup tent(awesome and easy!), Nat'l Luna PowerPack and fridge, and had a good time still amidst the 2am start.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Wow, that could have turned into a real disaster very quickly. Glad it turned out OK and you still had a good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179