VANdiana Jones sequel: The Legacy Continues

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks guys.
Thinking about it more, with all the driving I did to/from work in traffic and using the brakes a lot.....IF I wouldn't have driven it to/from work to vet it, means we would have probably hit the brakes just enough times going right into the steep Siskiyou Pass in southern Oregon when the power brake assist would have gone out there. So, incredibly blessed to have had it happen in town still. PHEW.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yeah, count my lucky stars for sure. I've always seen the runaway truck ramps in the passes, but never wanted to be in a position where I HAD to use it!

Looking forward to having loads of parts(been here waiting) installed, then an MG poptop, then interior build after. :wings:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sorry for the looong delay. VANdiana was taking a well-deserved rest.

Now's the time to have MG at www.expovans.com install some of the new-in-box bits laying around, rebuild(seal) work on front axle, general maintenance, etc; get it ready for this upcoming season.
Van1.jpg

SSBC front 8piston caliper, drilled/slotted rotor setup;
Van3.jpg

Fox 2.0's all around with Fox steering stabilizer (Bilstein 5100's still in great shape, for sale!)
Van4.jpg

As many of you may know, VANdiana hasn't had factory interior panels forever. Over time, I tracked them all down. I'm pleased to have a full interior again.
Van2.jpg
Van6.jpg

Here's MG's beast of a Cummins behind VANdiana. I cannot put into words how impressive that Cummins/Allison swap is. And the diesel thrum--so dang quiet!;
Van5.jpg

The Force is strong. :)

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Awesome! Nice score on the XLT panels. I see you have an aft axle tank sitting in the back...

Bummer about the seals. Glad you guys fixed the upper front shock mount orientation. Always bugged me, but I was all in at the time. Did the chrome faux bead lock bolts fall off, or did you tire of the bling?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome! Nice score on the XLT panels. I see you have an aft axle tank sitting in the back...

Bummer about the seals. Glad you guys fixed the upper front shock mount orientation. Always bugged me, but I was all in at the time. Did the chrome faux bead lock bolts fall off, or did you tire of the bling?

I had to pay a Ford dealer for some of them--ouch!! Nearly impossible to find them all used in good condition.
Aux 40gal metal tank; coming soon.......... :)

Yeah, sad to see a shop like Randy's not be so careful. Glad to see www.expovans.com found it and solved it though.
UJOR has updated front shock mounts so those and the Fox 2.0's made sense to upgrade to.

I wasn't a fan of the bling from the get-go. ;) These black nipple caps are ones I sourced from McMaster-Carr. Amazed they fit near perfectly. Could be a big more snug still, but as long as you're gentle with the wash mitt, they don't fall off.

You'll also notice we removed the White Knuckle Offroad sliders/steps; will powdercoat them satin black, strengthen the supports further. They're a very helpful/useful addition.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Good call on the sliders. I did what I could with my limited resources, but with MG at your disposal, why not do it right/better?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
VANdiana is back from MG at www.expovans.com, and better than ever!!!!

--Wow, what a difference the Fox 2.0 shocks and steering damper have made, over the Bilstein 5100's. Much more planted ride/handling, less wallow, very "grounded." Firm, not harsh at all. Overall, the Fox's control the van as it should be controlled.
--SSBC V8 caliper kit/rotors/pads bring the van to a stop MUCH quicker than the OEM calipers. Still a 13" rotor setup (which I still think is too small for a van FORD-ahem), but they are damn thick(~1.5" IIRC) so they do act as a large heat sink. Very very confident in the brakes now.
--Nice to have all the maintenance up to current too, as well as complete interior panels--it feels like a complete van! MG also found and solved a hidden front seal leak, which appears to have been boogered up by the previous shop install of the ARB front locker.

--But the biggest change and bonus, which I didn't think would matter as much as it actually has after last night's driving on dark roads, is due to MG's wizardry with the ARB foglights in the (custom-ExpoVans mounted) ARB bumper. These ARB foglights come with an H3 halogen bulb. But since I had added the TRS(TheRetrofitSource) 5500k HID/xenon kit awhile back, I wanted the fogs to also be HID to match. So, I had ordered a TRS 5000k setup for the fogs. Expecting it'd be a simple install, it turned out to not be the case.
A few initial complications with the TRS install;
-the HID bulbs are much different shape and connector type than original H3 halogen bulb
-the HID bulbs are twice as long as the H3's
-the ARB housings had a black bulb reflector shield over the H3 bulb, therefore not allowing the HID bulb to even fit into the lamp housing
-the bulb holder(ie hold-down) for the H3 wouldn't fit the HID bulb due to the difference in bulb shape

MG was able to remove the bulb reflector and fit the HID bulb into the housing, but now there was no way to keep the bulb secure in the housing due to the bulb dimension difference.
As well, since the HID bulb was twice as long as the H3, the end cap on the lamp assembly wouldn't fit on and seal moisture out of the back of the lamp housing.
I left it up to MG to come up with a custom solution for me, and that he did!
He reproduced the rear housing geometry in Solidworks that fit the HID bulb.
Then he custom prototyped and 3D printed(in-house!) components to hold the bulb and shield the wiring from the elements.
Now a new custom rear housing holds the HID bulb tight in the housing (no plastic on metal contact due to the heat of bulb while in operation), and a wire sleeve snaps into the rear housing for tight and secure fit. Perfect fit and finish, plus as added icing on the cake, they're red to match VANdiana's red accent color!
Pics here from start to finish;
untitled1.jpg
untitled2.jpg
untitled3.jpg
untitled4.jpg
untitled5.jpg
untitled6.jpg
untitled7.jpg
untitled8.jpg
untitled9.jpg
untitled10.jpg

Driving home last night with just the HID headlights, lighting is pretty dang good, worlds apart from the stock halogens of course. But then flip the OTRATTW-brand switch for the ARB fogs, and the entire front of the van is flooded in bright white light. They are piercingly bright, adding safety to my driving Night pics soon, I wasn't able to get any good ones last night. So so worth it.

The fact that I can give MG/ExpoVans any need or desire, and he comes up with a sound and innovative solution every time, astounds me. He's truly a one-stop van shop!

THANK YOU ExpoVans!!!

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
You're very welcome Jeremy! Always fun to service and upgrade VANdiana! Thanks to bknudtsen's previous work, it's one of the nicest (and cleanest) builds out there.

I made my share of mistakes, but that van was a solid foundation. Just glad Jeremy has the desire, and you have the capabilities, to take it to another level of awesome.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sounds like View attachment 404323 all around!
Oh, indeed!! And some of this too; :clapsmile: :bowdown:

You're very welcome Jeremy! Always fun to service and upgrade VANdiana! Thanks to bknudtsen's previous work, it's one of the nicest (and cleanest) builds out there.
Brad definitely built the ultimate foundation. I am still so very very grateful! Always keeping it clean and classy. :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998