Vehicle Fire Extinguisher?

gearbox

Adventurer
I'm looking to keep a 2lb to 5lb ABC in my truck year-round. It seems that no fire extinguishers are rated above 120°.
Even the "Auto Fire Extinguishers" are not to be stored at automobile temperatures, or at least not in Sacramento summer temps. Mine would be kept in the Snugtop, so temps may be increased. Any solutions for me?

7wt

Expedition Leader
I'm looking to keep a 2lb to 5lb ABC in my truck year-round. It seems that no fire extinguishers are rated above 120°.
Even the "Auto Fire Extinguishers" are not to be stored at automobile temperatures, or at least not in Sacramento summer temps. Mine would be kept in the Snugtop, so temps may be increased. Any solutions for me?

I have kept a 5lb in my truck for years and never had one pop due to heat issues.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Been carrying abc extinguishers for many years in sacto temps without a problem. AFFF are also available now.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I've never had a problem keeping extinguishers in the vehicle, even in So Cal summers.

And I've never seen specs for fire extinguishers that had maximum storage temps.

But, go ask the guys at the fire station what kind they have. Their trucks get just as hot as yours, on the occasions they drive them out of the house.

gearbox

Adventurer
OK, what brand and model should I be looking for? Kidde's 'site (for instance) rates them all to Underwriter's Laboratory, which only tests to 120°. Even the ones for Marine and Commercial Auto use. Supposedly the propellant is degraded faster the farther above that you go.

Are the ones you guys are using needing to be re-charged every so often?

sargeek

Adventurer
Fire Extinguishers

You will want to look for an all metal fire extinguisher that can be re-charged.

The absolute bomb fire extinguisher are the Ansul cartridge operated fire extinguishers:
redline_m.jpg

https://www.ansul.com/en/Products/hand_portable/redline_hportable.asp

These are used around the world in severe environments.

With that said, this is what I have in my truck, an AMEREX 2.5# ABC

Picture_1.png

Last edited:

dzzz

I wonder if a BC extinguisher isn't better for a vehicle. I've never seen a vehicle fire that wasn't flammable liquid or electrical. Any firefighters here?

daniel3507

Observer
I wonder if a BC extinguisher isn't better for a vehicle. I've never seen a vehicle fire that wasn't flammable liquid or electrical. Any firefighters here?

going to school for firefighting. An ABC would be good to have if a campfire got out of hand or your interior somehow caught fire. Other than that though you could use a BC. Just keep in mind that dry agent extinguishers can corrode things fairly quickly. Of course if your rig is on fire that should be the last thing on your mind.

There are HalGuard extinguishers designed specifically for automotive and is a clean agent extinguishers. They are BC and dont leave a chemical or a film on anything.
http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

leverett

Observer
i have two the big one stayes in the garage unless im wheeling but havent had that one very long the little one is about 5 years old at least an is still fine regardless of stored temp just keep an eye on the preasure and it should be good at the temp of your summer

shake'n'bake

Isn't the electrical "C" rating more important in auto than the "A" rating? curious.

I seem to think for ExPo uses all three A, B & C is really necessary to cover all angles.

I heard that once you turn the ignition off it is no longer an electrical fire (in the event that the fire is in vehicle and not elsewhere)

So it would seem that all you need is an AB extingisher.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I heard that once you turn the ignition off it is no longer an electrical fire (in the event that the fire is in vehicle and not elsewhere)

So it would seem that all you need is an AB extinguisher.

The wiring and chips are still electrical, not wood. They don't make AB extinguishers.

I'm running a 1lb Kiddie BC marine extinguisher. My theory is if I can't put it out with my extinguisher and the help of others who are in the expo, it wasn't meant to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online