Vehicle Fire Extinguisher?

r_w

Adventurer
I have only tested it with water and not with the Coldfire additive.
I'm still trying to figure out just how to simulate a car fire for testing.
Any ideas?

Buy a junker and set it off. A $300 car is still worth $250+ as scrap after the fire.

ScoutII

Adventurer
With today's steel prices I might even come out ahead.

I tested the cold fire and it does work. I put about a 1-2 cups of gas on a Styrofoam board.
I tested it with water first and then cold fire. Its about 1/2 time to put it out with cold fire. I was almost unable to put it out with water, but a good sweeping motion got it out. The water extinguisher is a class K 1.5 gal vs the coldfire at 1 liters. i.e 1/2 gal.

In the vid I ran out of coldfire and mostly air coming out so I finish it off with the class K extinguisher. The class K is used in kitchens for grease fires, so it has a wide pattern spray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8xQlkxIopk

Project510

Adventurer
Tag on mine says 8 lb temp range from 40 - 120. As far as when I recharge.. Since I am a property Manager for an Apt complex, I jsut have him recharge mine every year along with the properties since its a requirement.

1187925823_e6Dh5-XL.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Another to thing to consider is your extinguishing agents impact on humans. You're trapped inside a vehicle (I know, won't ever happen to people who travel off road) and breathing smoke. Its hot, maybe getting burned, someone sets off a dry chem in the cab. Now you're also breathing a cloud of dry chem and its sure not what you want on your burns.

Same scenario but a water based extinguishing agent. Now you can not only breathe but you're cooled down. Non toxic so no problem with burns.
Unless the weather has been below freezing and the H2O extinguisher doesn't work.

I think a fire originating in the passenger compartment where you're also trapped is a very slim chance. Originating somewhere else is most likely to involve lubricants or fuel which aren't good candidates for an H2O extrnguisher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online