WarnerD9 's 2011 4Runner TE build thread

WarnerD9

Builder
Sweet rig! I saw the pics of your rear bumper from cbi that posted your bumper build on the 4runner.org forums. I was windering who's 4runner thst was and now I know!

Do you have KDSS? That is some serious flex, not sure if KDSS would allow that! Please let us know!

The KDSS is disappearing on my rig. It's great if you plan on keeping the stock suspension. I am still running the front KDSS sway bar but I ditched the rear sway bar a while ago.

chmura

Adventurer
The KDSS is disappearing on my rig. It's great if you plan on keeping the stock suspension. I am still running the front KDSS sway bar but I ditched the rear sway bar a while ago.

Yes that is what I thought.

Great looking rig!

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Weight and mileage

Curious, what is the total weight of your rig? What kind of gas mileage are you seeing? With the aux tank, how much fuel do you carry on board and what is your highway range?

Noticed you're going to 4.56 gearing, not enough power or are you cruising at too low an RPM due to the larger tires?

Great build.

WarnerD9

Builder
Curious, what is the total weight of your rig? What kind of gas mileage are you seeing? With the aux tank, how much fuel do you carry on board and what is your highway range?

Noticed you're going to 4.56 gearing, not enough power or are you cruising at too low an RPM due to the larger tires?

Great build.

I haven't officially weighed it but here are some rough numbers. Front bumper 137lbs, skids 250lbs, winch 87lbs, roof rack 70lbs, aux fuel (6lbs/gal x 18gal = 108lbs + tank, skid, and mount 40lbs) 148lbs, rear bumper 150lbs, so throw in the lights, wiring, fridge, and awning and it's about 900-950lbs bring the estimated total to approximately 5,750lbs leaving 550 lbs for passengers and cargo. Keep in mind that the suspension and tire capacities have also increased, that is not to say that I have completely and thoroughly raised the rated GVWR, but I have taken compensating measures that are most directly impacted.

Mileage overall is about 13-16 depending on conditions. I can now carry 41 usable gallons without stopping so say 14 x 41 = 574. I haven't been able to formally test yet so that is just an estimate.

Regarding the 4:56's, all of the above. Fast low range, poor power around town and big climbs, shift points seem sluggish.

Good questions.

WarnerD9

Builder
We were able to meet up with and host Jan and Mona while they were on their two year expedition crossing the US, Canada, Alaska, down to Tierra Del Fuego journey. (See their website www.panamericana2013.de) I was pretty jealous of their diesel 100 series.

y9uty9a8.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I haven't officially weighed it but here are some rough numbers. Front bumper 137lbs, skids 250lbs, winch 87lbs, roof rack 70lbs, aux fuel (6lbs/gal x 18gal = 108lbs + tank, skid, and mount 40lbs) 148lbs, rear bumper 150lbs, so throw in the lights, wiring, fridge, and awning and it's about 900-950lbs bring the estimated total to approximately 5,750lbs leaving 550 lbs for passengers and cargo. Keep in mind that the suspension and tire capacities have also increased, that is not to say that I have completely and thoroughly raised the rated GVWR, but I have taken compensating measures that are most directly impacted.

Mileage overall is about 13-16 depending on conditions. I can now carry 41 usable gallons without stopping so say 14 x 41 = 574. I haven't been able to formally test yet so that is just an estimate.

Regarding the 4:56's, all of the above. Fast low range, poor power around town and big climbs, shift points seem sluggish.

Good questions.

You also need to add in the extra weight for tires and wheels...nice looking rig

Okki

Observer
Nice blog. I started laughing because I just asked Mark at MetalTech to quote me on a nearly identical front susp set up with the dual shocks and new icons. I was pretty sure I was going to do it but based on your reviews I guess I'm just waiting for the bid to come back.

Hit me up next time you head towards UT!

Lots of lurkers here from T4R ..... :) Are you going to be at the Overland Expo in May by chance? or in Moab the week after? the Mrs and I will be there for our major road trip next year (2014). Would love to see your rig in person.

Okki

chmura

Adventurer
Lots of lurkers here from T4R ..... :) Are you going to be at the Overland Expo in May by chance? or in Moab the week after? the Mrs and I will be there for our major road trip next year (2014). Would love to see your rig in person.

Okki

That is exactly what I did this year. Attended the Overland Expo and after the Expo I caravaned with another Expo member on here and spent 5 days in Moab/Canyonlands.

Would like to do that again if I can get another rig to join!

WarnerD9

Builder
We may try to make it to the expo, although we would probably bring our Sportsmobile if we went. It would probably be best for us to meet you in Moab. I know the are pretty well and I've got maps for where my knowledge is lacking. Let me know if you'd want to meet at Mecca (Moab).

Box Rocket

Spotted your truck last week (I think) at Mark Miller Toyota downtown. I'm with everyone else, great looking 4Runner and looks like it works great too!

Okki

Observer
We may try to make it to the expo, although we would probably bring our Sportsmobile if we went. It would probably be best for us to meet you in Moab. I know the are pretty well and I've got maps for where my knowledge is lacking. Let me know if you'd want to meet at Mecca (Moab).

Still trying to figure out the final schedule, but the Expo has been booked... Not sure which one is more exciting.. your 4Runner or Sportsmobile! You have way to many cool toys! Either way I'll keep you posted.

Okki

WarnerD9

Builder
Got the factory backup cam mounted and working.

yda7ape2.jpg

e7aje5em.jpg

edapuru9.jpg

The perspective is less than perfect since you can't see the bumper or corners, but it's better than nothing. I'll make a cone to get the right angle and help set the spare when putting it back on and taking it off. Where there's a will there's a way.

uscg2008

Explorer
Mother of god this is one sweet and well pland out and set up rig ! Keep up the good work bub, sub'd for this rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan