WARNING - SCAMMERS

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Please note that we've had an influx of scammers coming to the site to post scams on the classifieds. One even hacked a long-time users account and posted as the long time user and took several for significant sums of money. It is unfortunate that there is nothing we can do about this. Please note that a payment through Zelle should be a HUGE red flag as there is no recourse. Please verify, verify, verify and remember ... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Please use multiple methods to try and verify someone's identity and that the item exists and only use a payment platform where you can claim you were scammed - Thanks and we are sorry that this is even necessary to post about.

RacerAV

I won't say how I was sure it was a scam, don't want them to fine tune with tips here, but there's plenty of things to look at and figure out if the guy is real, if the item is real, if anything doesn't match up...

Kingsize24

They almost got me recently at well. Right after that, knowing they could hack any account, I activated 2-step verification on every forum site I use. That will go a LONG WAY to help with stolen accounts. Sucks this has to even be posted, as the OP mod/admin posted. And it's EASY to activate.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This has been happening for a long time on other forums, most notably Gun forums where the sums of funds being sent for item is usually very high. I helped another member here avoid these idiots last week.

Use the two-step verification to help lessen the odds of them being able to hack your account. Trust your gut when it comes to the price and comms. Verify identity and a confirmed shipping address via ID and/or registered address with PayPal or Venmo. Don’t use Zelle or Cash App, protect yourself and your hard earned money.

These scammers are getting more sophisticated in their tactics but there are still red flags and dead giveaways so stay diligent. It sucks that we even have to discuss this but it’s sadly our present world and they get away with it all too often. I’m to the point that I’m almost set on FTF transactions and buying new only when it comes to certain transactions.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
They almost got me recently at well. Right after that, knowing they could hack any account, I activated 2-step verification on every forum site I use. That will go a LONG WAY to help with stolen accounts. Sucks this has to even be posted, as the OP mod/admin posted. And it's EASY to activate.

Thanks for the heads up and not letting me get scammed! Appreciate you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
It is unfortunate that there is nothing we can do about this.

But there is...

Add the minimum required post count to the classifieds section, as have most other forums in existence have.

This not only cuts down on scammers dramatically, it also weeds out the flood of trash ads taking advantage of the market constantly flipping poor quality vehicles.

Myself, and several others have been asking for this for years here.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Although it wouldn't help with a hacked long-time user's account, ExPo staff might want to once again consider requiring a minimum post count to post a classified ad. A minimum post count requirement (to post a classified ad) might result in some garbage posts, but garbage posts might also be considered a warning flag.

Absolutely true! Been asking for this for years, but for some very odd reason, they 100% refuse to do it here... I am stumped

1000arms

Although it wouldn't help with a hacked long-time user's account, ExPo staff might want to once again consider requiring a minimum post count to post a classified ad. A minimum post count requirement (to post a classified ad) might result in some garbage posts, but garbage posts might also be considered a warning flag.
Absolutely true! Been asking for this for years ...
Hopefully ExPo staff will reconsider a minimum post count, especially with the amount of scams that have been occurring.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hopefully ExPo staff will reconsider a minimum post count, especially with the amount of scams that have been occurring.

It’s a lost cause. Myself and others have brought it up repeatedly and they just refuse.

Their reasoning is kind of humorous/irritating. I remember the word “inclusion” being used, so yeah…. ?

Back in the day I had moderator powers here.

I guess I should have never gave them up. ??‍♂️

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior