Well Phooey!

Rexsname

Explorer
Darn it! I had my first "off" this afternoon. I was invited to go on a little ride after church. We went up Hwy 89A toward Jerome from Prescott Valley. I was approaching a mild left hand bend at about 35 or so and thought I'd better slow down a bit. I was allready leaned over some when I decided to brake. The bike then felt like it didn't want to turn and didn't particularly want to slow down much either. The outside edge of the turn had a nice wide run off area so I looked where I wanted to go and then...WHAM! I lowsided. I would guess I was going about 15-20 mph when I went down.

Damages? A small scratch on the visor of my helmet, a skinned elbow, torn pants, fubared shift lever, dented tank, damaged headlight/turn signal assembly. No damage at all to my Tourmaster jacket so I dont quite understand how I got a skinned elbow.......

I'm a little sore and will go to see the chiropractor asap.

REX

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Shoot. That is a bummer, but you sound like you'll ride again, which is not to be taken lightly. Many years ago I was burning through those very turns on my Ducati 916 and hit a bunch of chattered pavement that put me right on the white line. I kept it up, but it was spooky. It happens. Make your repairs and get back out - asap.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My first (and so far only) get off was on about my fifth ride. I figure as I long as I learned a lesson and didn't get too banged up it was okay.

Here's to lessons learned and hopefully seeing you on the road sometime soon :beer:

Rexsname

Explorer
I took a 800mg Advil when I got home and am understandably still sore. We'll see how I feel in the morning........

REX

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear:Wow1: Glad to hear you are alright. Get back on ASAP and head back to that corner.
Just out of curiosity what let go the front or rear? Did you go off the road? More info request.

Rexsname

Explorer
I was intending on riding into the runoff area and was braking toward it. The front tire went out from under me as soon as it got to the dirt/gravel. I'm pretty sure that this is purely a case of a lack of riding expirience.

I've got a Mojave Trail trip to distract me this week and then I can start to get the bike back to a riding condition.

As far as the helmet goes...... The scratches are very small and slight, I'll take it to the shop that I bought it from and have them take a look. It really doesnt look bad at all, I can't feel cant deformation in the foam liner.

REX

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I was intending on riding into the runoff area and was braking toward it. The front tire went out from under me as soon as it got to the dirt/gravel."

your answer is in your comments , front brake and gravel - dirt do not mix

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
"I was intending on riding into the runoff area and was braking toward it. The front tire went out from under me as soon as it got to the dirt/gravel."

your answer is in your comments , front brake and gravel - dirt do not mix

ABS is your friend :roost:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Bummer, Rex. I'm glad you're ok. Shake it off, patch it up, and get back on the saddle. Sometimes you have to take your knocks to sharpen your skills. Enjoy the Mohave and get back on the saddle.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Hopefully w/o sounding like an ******** I'm glad to hear of this Rex. The more that you fall, the better your falling instincts and skills will be. I am convinced that the only reason that I survived taking my old GPz into the side of J.D. McGrath's Blazer at ~60 MPH (GPz moved the rear axle sideways ~12") was because I come off my bicycles with monotonous regularity and have been doing so for 40 years.

Falling is a part of riding. Learning how to do it sucks, but it is important.

I am glad that you're not seriously hurt!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I was intending on riding into the runoff area and was braking toward it. The front tire went out from under me as soon as it got to the dirt/gravel. I'm pretty sure that this is purely a case of a lack of riding expirience.

I've got a Mojave Trail trip to distract me this week and then I can start to get the bike back to a riding condition.

As far as the helmet goes...... The scratches are very small and slight, I'll take it to the shop that I bought it from and have them take a look. It really doesnt look bad at all, I can't feel cant deformation in the foam liner.

REX

Helmets are a "one time use" item. If it bounced -- it should be replaced.

In the real world, most do not follow that rule. Each rider must answer one question for themselves: How much is your head worth? Are you willing to risk your life on a helmet which is known to be damaged? The choice is yours.

:)

scarysharkface

Explorer
Glad your biff was minor. Get a new helmet. Front brake and gravel don't mix, but you know that now. Don't over-do it with the Advil. This is how we learn! :bike_rider:

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior