Well Phooey!

scarysharkface

Explorer
It was close to dark when I got home and I noticed that the headlight was skewed slightly to the left. I went back down to the shop and the took a closer look and decided that the forks are bent :mad:. The bike is rideable (I guess) but now I need to come up with another couple hundred bucks to make it right. I bought a cheap bike to save some money........it's not working out that way at all.

REX

Are they actually bent, or just twisted? You can usually straighten them (if twisted) by standing in front of the bike, wheel gripped tightly between your knees, and a good hard push/pull on the handlebars. If you have a motorcycle chock or something to wedge against, you can substitute that for your knees. Twisting forks is pretty common and nothing to get worked up about (or drop $$ to have some kid at the shop do exactly what I've described).

If they are indeed bent, which is unlikely but possible, then you'll need new ones. Some people straighten them with reasonable success, but I wouldn't ride on straightened fork tubes...

John

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Rex -- you can buy a whole bike for 'a couple hundred bucks'. I paid $250 for mine (same model and year as yours).

Forks for that bike are not expensive.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Damn I just found this thread! Glad you were OK Rex! Sorry to hear about the bike and your pains...

Rexsname

Explorer
The guys at the shop put a 6 or 7 foot cheater bar between the fork tubes while one of them held the bars and the other one did his thing. It is better than it was before. It is not perfect. I was quoted $90 for new fork tubes. I need new fork seals as well. Labor is $75 an hour and there you have my guesstimate.

I rode down to see Carrie this morning. As much to save money as to 'get back on the horse that threw me'. It was 37* when I left even with several layers of clothing it was C-c-c-cold! I think my hands suffered the worst. I got a little rain and continued on my way. I never did get all the way warm until I got home and into my tub.

Does anyone have a reccomendation on cold weather gloves that will still allow the level of dexterity that I need? I am using Mechanix-ware gloves and I like the way they fit but they provide no warmth....

REX

scarysharkface

Explorer
I've got a nice insulated pair of Carhartt elkskin (I think) gloves that don't offer as much protection as good armored riding gloves, but are warm, comfy and let me get at the switches. I think they were $20 or so at my local farm-goods store..

They tell me that replacing fork seals is no big deal if you're at all mechanical. I'm not, so I've paid to have mine replaced on a couple of bikes. Make sure they use OEM seals, because they actually last longer than the aftermarket ones. Fork seals can leak for a long time on a bike like that before needing to be replaced. When they quit leaking, then you know it's time! :sombrero:

If the handlebars aren't completely straight but it doesn't drive you crazy, just ride it anyway..

You're that much closer to *needing* the bike you really want! :bike_rider:

On a related note, my wife and I did some woods riding today with a friend. We all took turns on my Kawasaki KLR650, my Suzuki DR350 and Jerry's Yamaha WR250R. The Yamaha feels lightest, the KLR is most road-worthy and the DR350 is just a smokin' little beast that's fun to ride. All three are good bikes with their own strengths and weaknesses, and riding them all over the course of a single afternoon was great for comparison.

John

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Thoughts on braking in turns and ABS

Rex glad to hear that you're chastened but OK

Its common for some riders to use a bit of rear brake to scrub off a bit of speed in a corner but you need a light touch.

If you are fully leaned over, too much brake or even closing the throttle will result in the bike low siding. A turning MC is a careful balance between a directional force, traction and gravity.

Applying the brakes as you begin to lean a bike over will cause it to try and straighten up. This is more noticeable on bikes equipped with ABS as the system will try to maintain traction while in a non-abs bike a tire will likely lock up and you'll go down. If you try continue through the turn by pushing against the bikes attempts to right itself you can end up in a tank slapper.

ABS in dirt, sand, mud, or off road in general - no good.

ABS on dirt, sand or mud that is over pavement can be a lifesaver.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior