What 32-33" Tires are you running on your JKU?

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I know, another tire thread.

Looking for opinions for replacement tires on my JKUR. Keeping the stock 17" wheels & no lift. I have 37k miles on my original BFG Mud Terrains, and will re-buy those unless someone has a good reason I should look into something else: Cooper AT/3s? A/T/W? ST/Maxx? Something else? I read the tire comparo that ranked the A/T3 as #1 all-terrain, which makes me inclined to give them a try. Can I assume their mud terrain would be just as good against its peers?

These tires need to handle 1000's of highway miles, nasty winters, dirt, mud, sand, and rocks. I don't tow but I do need a good load rating for all the camping gear. Value is also key. What say you??

Thanks in advance

20150824_155734.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Factory

Ive purchased a set of factory Take-offs for mine. Less than 1000 on Craigslist for 5 BFG MUDs mounted and balanced on wheels with virtually no measurable wear.

I boxed the wheels so I have a nice set, as my JKUR had rock rash before 250 miles.

The tires sit happily wrapped in plastic on a garage shelf waiting to be called to duty. When that happens, I'll grab another set of take offs from Craigslist.

They are about as cheap as you can get, perform really well, and provide piece of mind in case you shred something on a trail.

The only issue is that they consume a fair amount of space, and my wife apparently felt a stacked mud-terrain coffee table was "inappropriate"...

Who knew?

tarditi

Explorer
When the BFGs wear out on my JKUR I'm going with Duratracs 1 size up - I don't plan to run a lift - just get a leveling kit.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. Love them. Got a good rebate deal through Discount Tire and they have a 65,000 mile tread guarantee.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter

If I go coopers, I like the ST Maxx in LT255/80R17E which according to cooper's website is 32.8" tall. NTB has them for $177 a piece. That's the size Jim wrote about here
http://expeditionportal.com/field-tested-cooper-st-maxx/

Ive purchased a set of factory Take-offs for mine. Less than 1000 on Craigslist for 5 BFG MUDs mounted and balanced on wheels with virtually no measurable wear.

I like that idea. Best of all, I can keep the brand new spare I still have, and rotate it into the lineup like I should have since new. It also means I'd only have to buy 4...

When the BFGs wear out on my JKUR I'm going with Duratracs 1 size up - I don't plan to run a lift - just get a leveling kit.

I've heard bad things about duratracs, both regarding tread life and some difficulty getting them to balance without a ton of weight. Maybe just rumors?

Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. Love them. Got a good rebate deal through Discount Tire and they have a 65,000 mile tread guarantee.

NTB's website has them over $225/ea with a 50k guarantee, and 2/32nd's less tread than the coopers. I like the tread design though.

shawnr

I run 33" Duratracs and can't complain one bit. They have performed well on and off road through all the seasons.

wanabxtrm

Observer
Ditto on cheap rubi takeoffs from the forums/List, I think I paid 800? for 5 basically new tires and rims. Down side no warranty, up side cheap, plus you get new rims you could flip/winter wheels/trailer wheels etc.

I recommend siping them though. Definitely helped in snow imo.

harv3589

Adventurer
I will be putting on 285/75R17 Duratracs on our jeep when the BF Goodrich factory tires are worn out. In the process of putting the exact same tire on my truck as well...

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Takeoffs: $1300 for 5 with 8k miles, $1700 for 5 new, and $2000 for 5 new, on CL around my neck of the woods. Where are you guys finding these screaming deals on take-offs?

I'm leaning hard towards the ST MAXX in LT255/80/R17 E. Tall, skinny, good load rating.

trnorman

uploadfromtaptalk1441322842707.jpg

I went with a 275/70-r17 KO2 to replace the factory Wranglers an my Sport and am very happy with the ride and performance. Americas Tires matched an online retailer plus offered a rebate. All in about $900 OTD for 5 tires.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

MTSN

Explorer
Takeoffs: $1300 for 5 with 8k miles, $1700 for 5 new, and $2000 for 5 new, on CL around my neck of the woods. Where are you guys finding these screaming deals on take-offs?

I'm leaning hard towards the ST MAXX in LT255/80/R17 E. Tall, skinny, good load rating.

I sold my (5) Rubicon wheels and KMs with about 900 miles on them for around $700 IIRC and I felt lucky to get that since there are so many on CL all the time. I think it really just depends on where you live, and in a place like Colorado there are hundreds of Jeep parts on CL all the time.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Cali

Same here in central California. It is rare to see a Craigslist day that doesn't have at least 1 set of Rubicon take-offs on within 150 miles of my house.

I think my set was 700 for 5 wheels and tires with about 5k on them. Plus I ruined a shirt getting them into my truck after work... So maybe 750 total.

I wouldn't pay more than 1000. As far as warranty, most of the things I'll end up doing to a tire will end up voiding a warranty anyway...

And... Thank you to each and every person that insists on lifting and blinging out their rig the second week out of the dealership!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78