What 32-33" Tires are you running on your JKU?

onetraveller

Adventurer
The ST Maxx have been a very good tire. I have over 30k on mine and they are still going strong with another 15k-20k of tread left. They are much better then the old BFG AT KO. I've not tried the new version. Duratracs are also very popular in Alaska and they worked fine on my slope truck.

Mike

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
Got 265/75/16 duratracs on my LJ rubi and love them. They great on the road for DD in snow, ice, rain, and dry conditions. They have done a few offroad trips and other than deep mud did pretty good too. I have them rotated and rebalanced every 5-6k and they wear even and still ride good after 15k. I bet I will get 35-40k out of them if I don't upsize before then.

bry71518

I'm on 33's - Cooper SST's. Love em! Its my 3rd set (on my 4th Jeep). I'm running stock Rubicon 17" rims. I like them for the siping, I live in MN so snow and ice cover the state for 4 months a year (it seems). I highly recommend the SSTs.

Rockhard426

No mention of Toyo Tires ? , I am running the RT 285/70/17 on stock rubicon wheels and hands down the best tire i have ever owned , They did a great job at mixing the MT and the ATII's together and got this hybrid tire, they grip well in Sand , Dirt , Gravel , Rocks and fare well in Mud. they ride and ware good, they have a great 45k warranty , they balance great with minimal weight , they are not too heavy and they are really one tough tire, Not to mention they are Made in north Georgia . they also look good.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Food for thought:

I thought the stock Mud Terrains were terrible in the winter and barely bearable in the wet. I can't believe you are considering a repeat if you have bad winters.

I have 35" Duratracs now and had no problem getting them balanced without a ridiculous amount of weight. I only have a couple of weeks behind me with them, but initial impressions are very favourable.

I know I don't have a JKU but I've ran a few take offs from craigslist too. Right now I'm running treadwright guard dogs on my Wj. They have been amazing so far. They've got over 50,000 miles on them so far and plenty of tread left.

sent from inside my Wj

JKU87

Adventurer
I know, another tire thread.

Looking for opinions for replacement tires on my JKUR. Keeping the stock 17" wheels & no lift. I have 37k miles on my original BFG Mud Terrains, and will re-buy those unless someone has a good reason I should look into something else: Cooper AT/3s? A/T/W? ST/Maxx? Something else? I read the tire comparo that ranked the A/T3 as #1 all-terrain, which makes me inclined to give them a try. Can I assume their mud terrain would be just as good against its peers?

These tires need to handle 1000's of highway miles, nasty winters, dirt, mud, sand, and rocks. I don't tow but I do need a good load rating for all the camping gear. Value is also key. What say you??

Thanks in advance

20150824_155734.jpg

MassMopar,

Great looking rig! I'm in Boston and drive a JKU with a 2.5 lift and run the ST MAXX in 255/80/17. I absolutely love this tire and have had them on since the spring. It's a great happy medium between an AT and MT tire. Most of my driving is on pavement so I needed a tire that did well on the asphalt but can handle the trails when I go off pavement. I spent a weekend in Vermont with the Vermont Overland guys and did plenty of off-roading, mud, etc. I had the tires aired down to 15psi and they did outstanding. I would highly recommend this tire.

mach1dsg

I went with the KO2's in 285/70/17, and i have a Sport JKU, with the factory 3.21's, the new engine/trans combo doesn't have any issues moving the Jeep with this tires. The Rubicon would be even better with the 4.10's, this tires are an absolute blast, they're baby proof quiet on the street, plenty of traction under any condition considering they're AT tires. $960 for 4 of them through Discount tires brand new, and i got the 5th one used for $40 out of CL, though it's a KO, i wish i had done 35's, but i got the tires before putting a 2.5" lift, rookie mistake :) Getting 4.56's in November along with Eaton e-locker rear, Detroit true track front combo.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
LT285/70R17s on stock wheels has a strong possibility of rubbing on the rear sway bar links, enough to possibly puncture on extreme articulation. The taller (34") LT275/75R17s on stock wheels seem to clear as I've been told but the availability just sucks as there are only about three tire designs available and no one has them in stock. If you go that route, buy a 6th spare. I'm running LT285/70R17s for now but will be upping to 305 or 315/70R17s when I re-gear this spring.

machine1

Explorer
Are there any clearance issues with running 33's on the stock 16" steel wheel with no lift?

I'm on the base model 225/75R16's now and am looking to upgrade. I just don't know if I want to run a 32"(265/75R16) or a 33"(285/75R16) metric equivalent.

I plan on buying some front sway bar disconnects, I don't want to do any cutting as of yet. Maybe on the next set I'll lift it and get 35's but I would like to get a rear locker at least before I go bigger.

After seeing Kmrtnsn's post I may want to steer away from the 285's. It seems like the 16's offset is worse than the 17's.

WininUtah

Adventurer
I have the Hankook MTs on my Rubicon. I put 30K miles on a set on my LJR and they worked great, so I stuck with them. I went with the 315/70R-17 and have a 2 1/2" lift.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Thanks for the continuing input everyone!

Food for thought:

I thought the stock Mud Terrains were terrible in the winter and barely bearable in the wet. I can't believe you are considering a repeat if you have bad winters.

I have 35" Duratracs now and had no problem getting them balanced without a ridiculous amount of weight. I only have a couple of weeks behind me with them, but initial impressions are very favourable.

I never had any issues with the mud terrains, from deep snow to regular old rain and ice coated roads. That said, you don't know how bad you have it until you have something better to compare it to. The duratracs are a possibility, they're fairly well priced.

MassMopar,

Great looking rig! I'm in Boston and drive a JKU with a 2.5 lift and run the ST MAXX in 255/80/17. I absolutely love this tire and have had them on since the spring. It's a great happy medium between an AT and MT tire. Most of my driving is on pavement so I needed a tire that did well on the asphalt but can handle the trails when I go off pavement. I spent a weekend in Vermont with the Vermont Overland guys and did plenty of off-roading, mud, etc. I had the tires aired down to 15psi and they did outstanding. I would highly recommend this tire.

Thanks! Where'd you buy your tires?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears