What do you use to buff out brush marks?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
So, what's everyone using these days? What's worked best for you? I used to use a turtle compound/polish with a buffing wheel then go ahead and wax the rig afterwards.. don't remember details on the products, it's been too long..

Anything that works wonders without a buffing wheel? You know, Good old elbow grease.. I need to hit the SMB up this weekend and i know i'll be sore by the end :xxrotflma

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Not the help you are looking for but.... On my last 4Runner I buffed out the desert pin striping frequently and over time, that really impacted how much paint I had left on the vehicle. :sombrero:

On my current 2004 4Runner I buffed them out once but since then, I have decided to leave the desert pin striping on as added personality. I just keep a good coat of wax over the top. I expect in the long run, my paint will have better longevity. Plus I get the added benefit of folks asking me what the heck happened to my truck and where have I been driving it?
:sombrero:

silentsamurai

Explorer
Hey Dave.

As a detailer, The trick is if your nail catches on it, it's too deep to buff out. (means it's through the clear coat) If your not comft. wetsanding, then the next best thing is to use a makita rotary buffer at a descent speed and some really heavy meguiars M105 would prob do the trick. I've got both in my armory if you need to borrow or next time we meet up.

Best of luck.

Adam

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nothing on the truck is that deep. I usually keep a good wax on the truck for this exact reason. To protect it. And yes, i understand if i buff it once a month, there will be no paint left.... i usually do it every 6 months or so.

You guys know of any good polish/waxes out there on the market for hand buffing? (not machine)

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think having a buffer is pretty much necessary to make it worth the effort. I've got a Porter Cable 7424 that I use along with lightly abrasive pads (orange or white pads from detailers) and a mild swirl compound. Works great! I use the stuff from detailers paradise because they are local here in Colorado (they have a website as well).

silentsamurai

Explorer
Sorry to say. But no human hand can work compound in fast enough to do anything to any surface. No matter how aggressive of a compound you use. Best bet is either a Porter Cable random orbital polisher ($150-180), or a makita 9227c. ($190-250)

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Roger that. Well, these marks can be wiped with my finger. So i guess im wondering about a good cleaner wax?

silentsamurai

Explorer
I use Prima Products on all my customers cars. but it's not over the counter at autozone or anything. Prima swirl is probably your best bet. It's @ $15 a bottle and does good work. If you want My buddy richard is located about 3-4 blocks from your shop off redgum. he's a dealer for a few detailing products. I'll PM ya now.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Dave,

I've used this cleaner wax by Meguiars for years and have had good results.

For deeper scratches I start with Turtle wax Rubbing Compound (do not go too hard!) and then Polishing compound. Then finish off with the cleaner wax.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Per Adam and his buddy that details show cars i just picked up these and some micro fiber applicators and towels..

swirl_big.jpg
bananagloss_big.jpg

Im getting ready for a sore arm :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior