What do you use to buff out brush marks?

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Per Adam and his buddy that details show cars i just picked up these and some micro fiber applicators and towels..

swirl_big.jpg
bananagloss_big.jpg

Im getting ready for a sore arm :elkgrin:

Good choice. The Prima line is top end stuff, developed right here in Denver! Nick's store was just a few blocks from my old house.

That stuff ain't cheap though - use it wisely....

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Good choice. The Prima line is top end stuff, developed right here in Denver! Nick's store was just a few blocks from my old house.

That stuff ain't cheap though - use it wisely....

Yeah it aint cheap. The place i picked it up from looked like the overhaulin' tv set. Custom rigs everywhere. I felt out of place.

..if anyone wants to head down to the shop, you're more than welcome to join in the fun tonight ... i'll be drinking beer and getting arm cramps... :wavey::friday:

KG6BWS

Explorer
i prefer a good heavy coat of dirt and mud. hides any and all scratches and if its thick enough brush just bounces off.

:ylsmoke:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I usually start out with Mesquite branches with a coating of red rock dust, and then I work towards the Pines for the final buff.

Dave

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I usually start out with Mesquite branches with a coating of red rock dust, and then I work towards the Pines for the final buff.

Dave

Yes, that final pine treatment is what seperates the pros from the weekend driveway guys.
Jason T.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Hey Dave.

As a detailer...
Adam, you are in my area, and I have a rig with years of desert pinstripping on it that needs some TLC. I also need touchup painting in...many places. Shoot me your business contact info.

Regards,

Nathan Woods
(949) 280-5710 cell

RoundOut

Explorer
A nice garden rake will even them all up.

For all the mall cruiser owners that may snub their noses, there are some priceless looks on the faces of the car wash attendants when I tell them "Heck no, don't buff that out. Do you know how much those cost me?" They don't think I'm serious, so it usually takes a second or third time.

I figure if I buff them out now, the next trip, I'll get more and they will be down to the primer before too long.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Well mission accomplished. Only took 5 hours by hand :REExeSquatsHL1:

Here's a sample of how it came out. The door closest to the camera had not been polished/waxed yet. The panel furthest had. The brush marks are nearly invisible now.

Attachments

• IMG_5010.JPG
    IMG_5010.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 68

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm not to sure either why you would want to buff them out. To me, it's what seperates the men from the boys. I smile when I see a nice shiney F-250 4x4 with a 6" skyjacker lift and pristine fake beadlock rims.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah, I'm not to sure either why you would want to buff them out. To me, it's what seperates the men from the boys. I smile when I see a nice shiney F-250 4x4 with a 6" skyjacker lift and pristine fake beadlock rims.

I've probably had 4-5 rigs with brush marks, dents and scrapes from boulders.. the whole nine yards... trust me i'm a man and it doesn't take brush marks to prove it. Shoot i had a pristine XJ that ran Johnson valley trails and people never believed me until i showed them the pics.

I just spent a ton of money on this rig and want it to stay as new as long as i can. If that means a little hard work on it, then so be it. That's all. Plus i had nothing to do last weekend ;)

For the record, i hate fake "street locks too". I also hate dual foxes at every corner to go to the grocery store :ylsmoke:

rionorte

I've probably had 4-5 rigs with brush marks, dents and scrapes from boulders.. the whole nine yards... trust me i'm a man and it doesn't take brush marks to prove it. Shoot i had a pristine XJ that ran Johnson valley trails and people never believed me until i showed them the pics.

Hahaha.
I remember the first time I met you at the first Calico Cleanup with your 80. It never occurred to me then that you have been through so many rigs and so many trails until I saw those pics. From what I knew at that meeting, you were just a very nice fellow that told me what to expect if I went on the Odessa/Doran run.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I just quit washing my truck. I just hose it off, and let it dry. Ummmmmm yeah not the best solution, but seems to work good for me. I think the last time I washed my truck with soap was after the Trophy, other than that it gets frequent water only baths to keep the mud/dirt collections from starting rust.

I will wax my truck twice a year though... I found that the three stage waxes (plan on a full day of waxing) does help hide the pinstriping. I have had a few branches and other scratches that I did not think would come out completely disapear using the 3 stage wax. It just takes forever... After it is all set and done, lately I have followed up with the new turtlewax ICE about a 4-6 days later and call it good for a while, then just use hi pressure water from that point on until I wax it all over again. So far decent results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior