Who tows with a diesel Colorado ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Guys its reading like the classic gas vs diesel thread. Buying a new truck especially one thats more or less the same as a 8yr old used truck makes no sense.

Some people like diesel and like the truck. Some people dont.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't most are prioritizing speed when they are deciding on a truck.

Not what I see in my travels, most everyone is in a hurry. See very few people actually driving the speed limit, I am one of the few. What ever the limit is that is what I set the cruise at...have people (while towing) blow past me like I am standing still. Think speed is very much a priority...people want to go the limit and beyond...even while towing. It is down right dangerous out there if you go slow.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Is that really giving us the full picture though? You should also consider the area under the torque and power curves for both the gasoline v6 and the inline 4 diesel. I've seen individual graphs for both the 2.8l duramax and the gasoline v6, but not one that compares the two side-by-side. I'm sure someone will do that kind of test eventually. Based on what I have seen, the 2.8l duramax delivers a bit more torque at much lower RPM's relative to the gasoline v6, which is generally what you want for towing.

So yeah, the V6 might be more powerful than the diesel at peak torque. But who wants to drive their gasoline truck around at 4000 RPM's and for how long? That kind of driving will tank you mpg.

And again, I'm not sure why people keep bringing up the speed aspect. The gasoline v6 was only slightly quicker than the duramax in the TFL towing test. I don't think that slight discrepancy will matter to most potential truck buyers, and, to be honest, I don't most are prioritizing speed when they are deciding on a truck.

An interesting thing I read was that the Duramax accelerates at 3/4 throttle versus full throttle off the line. Good point about towing RPM's, not only would you not want to be pulling at that rom but your mileage would be awful. Good discussion fellas.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Time will tell, think gas prices would have to get crazy again for sales to soar. As well see with gas prices settling over these last couple years... A-Typical Americans like their big thirsty trucks, and not vehicles tuned for economy. Might be the area I am in, but massive fullsize diesel trucks (running with an empty bed! ;) ) seem to be king of the land here.

Totally agree. And I like the way a nice naturally aspirated big displacement v8 drives. To me that is bliss aesthetically. The sound, the feel, the delivery of torque. I don't derive s ton of pleasure in the same regard driving diesels and I have driven a ton of them over in Europe where you could argue they are the most refined. This one seems as good as anything I have driven, so yeah, not terribly exciting. Fuel costs being low is a main reason we bought the Suburban and have been using it so much. I freaking love that truck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Guys its reading like the classic gas vs diesel thread. Buying a new truck especially one thats more or less the same as a 8yr old used truck makes no sense.

Some people like diesel and like the truck. Some people dont.

Ha ha! Don't these threads always do!?

Ohhhh...would love to have one, I am just a cheap SOB. My problem is I haven't had a vehicle payment in 20 years...extremely hard to shell out the coin for a new truck, when I have 2 paid for vehicles in my driveway....yet I have no problem dropping $10K on a new dirt bike, that will be worth hardly anything in 5 years. Kinda tell where my priorities are. :D

Dalko43

Explorer
Not what I see in my travels, most everyone is in a hurry. See very few people actually driving the speed limit, I am one of the few. What ever the limit is that is what I set the cruise at...have people (while towing) blow past me like I am standing still. Think speed is very much a priority...people want to go the limit and beyond...even while towing. It is down right dangerous out there if you go slow.

I should have chosen my words more carefully. Most truck owners don't prioritize acceleration. If they truly did, they wouldn't be buying a truck in the first place (they'd buy a crossover or a sports car instead). Most drivers do drive a bit over the speed limit, but just about any modern engine, diesel or gasoline, can achieve those speeds.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The scenario I presented would be representative of a high load, uphill grade trying to maintain the speed limit. The gas engine will perform far better in that situation.

On flat ground/light load, where both engines can upshift to the highest possible gear, the diesel will deliver greater torque at the lower rpm and may "cruise" more effectively over rolling undulations in the terrain because the extra torque and turbocharger qualities will allow it to compensate without dropping gears.

However, at the limit and once either engine starts downshifting by more than just one gear, the V6 is going to leave the diesel behind.

Dalko43

Explorer
The scenario I presented would be representative of a high load, uphill grade trying to maintain the speed limit. The gas engine will perform far better in that situation.

On flat ground/light load, where both engines can upshift to the highest possible gear, the diesel will deliver greater torque at the lower rpm and may "cruise" more effectively over rolling undulations in the terrain because the extra torque and turbocharger qualities will allow it to compensate without dropping gears.

However, at the limit and once either engine starts downshifting by more than just one gear, the V6 is going to leave the diesel behind.

What do you mean by "perform better?"

The gasoline v6 will tow faster in that type of scenario, but it will be revving high in order to do that kind of work. By comparison, the 2.8l duramax will be delivering much more low-end torque, which will minimize fuel consumption and engine wear. IMO, it's that low-end torque and better fuel economy that really makes the 2.8l duramax outshine the gasoline v6, especially within the context of offroading and overlanding. The gasoline Colorado was only a minute or two faster in the TFL tow test vs the diesel; I think many truck owners could live with that time difference.

That said, an individual's subjective priorities will dictate which engine "performs better."

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Sure, I mean 4000rpm isn't really "high" though.

Offroad, at low speed, when you will be in 1st/2nd gear with either engine - the diesel has a huge advantage in torque and fuel consumption.

Just trying to point out that heavy towing on the highway is not it's best use case.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

Ah, gotcha. Yeah and I think that was exactly how that towing test played out on the Ike video

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I should have chosen my words more carefully. Most truck owners don't prioritize acceleration. If they truly did, they wouldn't be buying a truck in the first place (they'd buy a crossover or a sports car instead). Most drivers do drive fast and a bit over the speed limit, but just about any modern engine, diesel or gasoline, can achieve those speeds.

I dunno about that...plenty of guys out there rationalizing that they need 900 ft lbs of torque, because they want it to get up an go over hill and dale when they mash down on the accelerator, much like people who buy sports cars. And I am over here thinking I can make 180 ft/lbs of the Tacoma 4 slugger work for 90% of the things I do...and simply deal with the horribly slow 10%, so I don't have to give up my beloved manual trans.

See guys with massive fullsize diesel trucks at the trail heads with only two bikes in the bed....and I am over here like... :D

2015-chevrolet-colorado-z71-towing.jpg

Think I am one of the very few guys that has a small truck, almost everyone here that rides owns a fullsize. While my buddy in OR tows with his Subaru...might get is ******** kicked by the chest thumpers if he showed up here with that setup. :D

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Sure, I mean 4000rpm isn't really "high" though.

It is for a truck engine. What is redline for the gasoline V6? 6,800 RPM's or something? I know that when I drive my 4runner's 4.0L V6 at anything over 3500 RPM's, my mpg suffers and the engine noise starts to become annoying. You can drive a truck at those kinds of RPM's, and it will deliver the power and get the job done. But would you want to drive like that for long stretches during a towing trip? I wouldn't, but I guess people will feel differently on that issue.

Offroad, at low speed, when you will be in 1st/2nd gear with either engine - the diesel has a huge advantage in torque and fuel consumption.

Just trying to point out that heavy towing on the highway is not it's best use case.

Well, I'd be more inclined to have the duramax's low-end torque and better mpg for both offroading and for towing. I guess if you wanted a slightly faster towing platform, the gasoline v6 would make sense. And FYI, the duramax Colorado is rated to tow 600-700 more lbs than the gasoline v6 variant (depending on the trim and drivetrain).

Clutch

<---Pass
Totally agree. And I like the way a nice naturally aspirated big displacement v8 drives. To me that is bliss aesthetically. The sound, the feel, the delivery of torque. I don't derive s ton of pleasure in the same regard driving diesels and I have driven a ton of them over in Europe where you could argue they are the most refined. This one seems as good as anything I have driven, so yeah, not terribly exciting. Fuel costs being low is a main reason we bought the Suburban and have been using it so much. I freaking love that truck.

Oh yeah...nothing like a big V8 for driving experience.

As what we were saying earlier...what annoys me about these new diesel trucks is, they market it as getting great fuel economy, but don't offer it in an economy package like the rest of the World does, you have to buy it at a higher trim level...it makes no sense. Believe the people who want great fuel economy are trying to save money, seems counter productive when the buyin cost is high.

You can go down to Central/South America and get a basic 4WD/Diesel in the low $20K's USD.

Seems like with these 72-84 month loans that they are offering...no one really cares about the entire cost of the vehicle, only if they can make the monthly payment. Which seems to drive up the cost for everyone, and the basic work truck as all about disappeared. Base models now come standard with a bunch of stuff I really don't need, but will have to pay for, because there is no other option.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
As what we were saying earlier...what annoys me about these new diesel trucks is, they market it as getting great fuel economy, but don't offer it in an economy package like the rest of the World does, you have to buy it at a higher trim level...it makes no sense.

This is the truth. Mind boggling.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Oh yeah...nothing like a big V8 for driving experience.

As what we were saying earlier...what annoys me about these new diesel trucks is, they market it as getting great fuel economy, but don't offer it in an economy package like the rest of the World does, you have to buy it at a higher trim level...it makes no sense. Believe the people who want great fuel economy are trying to save money, seems counter productive when the buyin cost is high.

You can go down to Central/South America and get a basic 4WD/Diesel in the low $20K's USD.

Seems like with these 72-84 month loans that they are offering...no one really cares about the entire cost of the vehicle, only if they can make the monthly payment. Which seems to drive up the cost for everyone, and the basic work truck as all about disappeared. Base models now come standard with a bunch of stuff I really don't need, but will have to pay for, because there is no other option.

Yeah I think the trend now in higher content trucks is making stripper work truck models harder to find. And a lot of them aren't as basic as I would like. If I was to buy a truck for myself right now I would want a crew cab, half ton, long bed, with rubber floors, wind up windows, completely manual HVAC... but AC for the kids, manual transmission with a 5.3. I was pretty bummed when Chevy finally dropped the 4.8 with 5 speed combo. And finding a used WT, let alone on in decent shape that wasn't a fleet vehicle is really tough anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior