Who tows with a diesel Colorado ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Guys this is like debating Pears and oranges. The current midsized crop targets a different need, different buyer etc. I was shopping 4dr midsized 4x4's in 2005. Paying cash. I shopped for two months. I didnt buy for two reasons. Those truck options were as much or more than full size. They got the same mileage as full size, had far worse crash ratings etc etc. So I bought a 93 J80 for $7500 mint cond original owner. And burned lots of dinosaurs. Sold it 8 yrs later for $7500. LOL needed a 7 -8 pass bought a used 05 Sequoia. Today I only need a 5 seater that ideally replaces two vehicles. The daily driver Subaru and the almost never driven Sequoia.

Towing light stuff yes we tow. Camping adventures yes. Daily parking and typical traffic bs yes. Acceleration today is even more pointless in high traffic areas. Anymodern vehicle hell even a rollerskate Smarts do well over the speedlimits. I grew up with full sized trucks. Great for farm work and live stock trailers but even old gramps drove his car around town and road trips when he wasnt hauling live stock.

I find happy vehicle owners are those who didnt buy too much vehicle for their needs. I have family running big heavy duty diesel rigs daily. But they are loaded to max weight with welding gear. Not a beast that is enjoyable to drive when lacking a load and not one thats affordable to drive when loaded. That is unless its earning income. LOL

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah I think the trend now in higher content trucks is making stripper work truck models harder to find. And a lot of them aren't as basic as I would like. If I was to buy a truck for myself right now I would want a crew cab, half ton, long bed, with rubber floors, wind up windows, completely manual HVAC... but AC for the kids, manual transmission with a 5.3. I was pretty bummed when Chevy finally dropped the 4.8 with 5 speed combo. And finding a used WT, let alone on in decent shape that wasn't a fleet vehicle is really tough anyway.
The higher content justifies the price which justifies the development and production of a truck that fits closer to the passenger car emmissions and passenger safety reqs than the old days of both full size and mid size pu that were not a great vehicle to get caught up in an accident in. I value safe vehicles even more so today with the speeds, texting and drivers who have no clue that tailgating at 80mph in a minivan packed full of kids going to disneyland is flirting with disaster. Price today on stripped models is only possible through sales of higher profit content laden trims.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I should have chosen my words more carefully. Most truck owners don't prioritize acceleration. If they truly did, they wouldn't be buying a truck in the first place (they'd buy a crossover or a sports car instead). Most drivers do drive a bit over the speed limit, but just about any modern engine, diesel or gasoline, can achieve those speeds.

i would disagree. Most light duty truck owners use their trucks like a car, except on the occasions they need to use it like a truck.
You may be different in this regard, but you wouldn't be the norm according to marketing research.
In the normal situation, things like stop and start driving without issues, passing, accelerating from a stop matter quite a bit.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is the truth. Mind boggling.

Yerp....you'll save fuel, but you won't be saving any money! :D

Yeah I think the trend now in higher content trucks is making stripper work truck models harder to find. And a lot of them aren't as basic as I would like. If I was to buy a truck for myself right now I would want a crew cab, half ton, long bed, with rubber floors, wind up windows, completely manual HVAC... but AC for the kids, manual transmission with a 5.3. I was pretty bummed when Chevy finally dropped the 4.8 with 5 speed combo. And finding a used WT, let alone on in decent shape that wasn't a fleet vehicle is really tough anyway.

That sounds like a perfect setup.

The extra cab WT Colorado and SR Tacoma are close for me. But they both have a couple misses. No manual trans in the Colorado I4 or V6, no V6/manual in the Tacoma. Tacoma offers a rear seat delete...so does the Colorado, but only on the 4 Cyl as far as I can tell.

So it is either give up the manual and go with the Colorado, or give up the V6 and go with the Tacoma.

There is the used market, but Tacoma's resale value is idiotic...since I'll rack up the miles very quickly, might as well buy a brand new one, and start up fresh. Even though it isn't exactly what I want....yet another reason I dont want to spend the money...hard time letting go of the cash, buying something I only "kinda" like.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
i would disagree. Most light duty truck owners use their trucks like a car, except on the occasions they need to use it like a truck.
You may be different in this regard, but you wouldn't be the norm according to marketing research.
In the normal situation, things like stop and start driving without issues, passing, accelerating from a stop matter quite a bit.
Even the slow modern cars are faster and better than the old cars / trucks of the past. Acceleration today isnt much of a concern because all of them get it done just fine.
The only arguments worth arguing is.. Can you afford it? And will it do what you need it to do?

Clutch

<---Pass

I fall into that category...daily driver, weekend warrior, 2 weeks vay-cay a year small truck owner. Pretty much the target market for midsizes. Just now the fullsizes have caught up in the mpg department.

Probably get by with a Subaru...but just do enough "truck stuff" that I can't rationalize spending money on a Subaru....maybe as a second vehicle...but I already have one of those which is a long been paid for SUV. Which unfortunately its' resale value is in the toilet...'02 Trooper might be worth $3500, maybe less...which means I need to come up with another $20K for the Suby. The only thing buying a Subaru would accomplish would be taking a chunk out of the bank account. Kinda like the light diesel argument...it will save me on fuel...won't be saving any money.

The SUV is in excellent condition, expect to get another 10 years out of it....it is the truck that needs replacing, has been for years now. Subaru won't fill the requirements unfortunately...as I like 'em.

Last edited:

b9ev

Adventurer
I really agree with the bolded part.

Even the slow modern cars are faster and better than the old cars / trucks of the past. Acceleration today isnt much of a concern because all of them get it done just fine.
The only arguments worth arguing is.. Can you afford it? And will it do what you need it to do?

Clutch

<---Pass
Resale value means nothing if you plan on keeping the vehicle. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I usually run them into the ground...then keep on fixing them. We bought the Trooper a couple years before we knew we were
moving to Idaho....it is RWD, didn't need 4WD in AZ. Was thinking of getting rid of it and buying another 4WD or AWD...but the Pooper did fine with just snow tires,
even with the worst winter Idaho has had in 30 years. So...don't really need a 2nd 4WD.

So we were thinking...or I should say, I was thinking because she hates Subarus with a passion....I was thinking of getting a Subaru as my work 52 mile round trip commuter because it gets decent mpg compared to my truck...and that is just it, other than commuting it would suck at everything else I like to do....with all the motogear, it would suck at camping, blasting down dirt roads, fetching broken down bikes out in the middle of no where...yeah it will do it, but not as well as a Colorado or Tacoma.

Can't seem to bring myself to buy something that is only good at one thing, which is commuting...might as well buy a Civic and get 10 more additional mpg's over the Scooby. Civic would be even worse at the rest of the stuff I do...can't even run it down a dirt road without fear of destroying it. 20 sumthing thousand dollars for something that can't do much of anything, other than haul my ******** back and forth to work, it isn't like it is going to make the miserable commute better, at least I would be able to stare eye level at the bumpers of all big jacked up trucks that the diesel sexuals drive around here....meh.

It is all a trade-off....a midsize truck is far more versatile than a car, but gives it up on mileage. Then you see the diesel Colorado...ohhhh, and think...about the same as a Suby in the mpg department, and a truck! That could be the best of both worlds....errrr...about $7-10K more than a Suby, well crap. So I look at the base WT trucks, ok... around a Suby Forester price point...bit down on power and mileage...but still checks off a lot of boxes of wants/needs for a do-it-all type vehicle. MPG is around 23-25 hwy so still not too bad in yearly fuel cost compared to something that gets low 30ish.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

That's kind of an overbearing statement don't you think? ;)
This is America where bigger, faster, funner, cooler is king. In the world you describe, we'd all be driving Ladas.

Look at how manufacturers are pushing performance boundaries with trucks.
Look at the growth of aftermarket performance accessories for trucks.
Pretty telling of what people want, and pay for.

I think we will all have different reasons to buy things, and to improve upon what we buy. If your main reason is can you afford it, and does it fit your needs, that is awesome. For someone else it may be how high it can fly off a dune, or how much wood it can haul to the cabin in one trip.
All great reasons. :beer:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I usually run them into the ground...then keep on fixing them. We bought the Trooper a couple years before we knew we were
moving to Idaho....it is RWD, didn't need 4WD in AZ. Was thinking of getting rid of it and buying another 4WD or AWD...but the Pooper did fine with just snow tires,
even with the worst winter Idaho has had in 30 years. So...don't really need a 2nd 4WD.

So we were thinking...or I should say, I was thinking because she hates Subarus with a passion....I was thinking of getting a Subaru as my work 52 mile round trip commuter because it gets decent mpg compared to my truck...and that is just it, other than commuting it would suck at everything else I like to do....with all the motogear, it would suck at camping, blasting down dirt roads, fetching broken down bikes out in the middle of no where...yeah it will do it, but not as well as a Colorado or Tacoma.

Can't seem to bring myself to buy something that is only good at one thing, which is commuting...might as well buy a Civic and get 10 more additional mpg's over the Scooby. Civic would be even worse at the rest of the stuff I do...can't even run it down a dirt road without fear of destroying it. 20 sumthing thousand dollars for something that can't do much of anything, other than haul my ******** back and forth to work, it isn't like it is going to make the miserable commute better, at least I would be able to stare eye level at the bumpers of all big jacked up trucks that the diesel sexuals drive around here....meh.

It is all a trade-off....a midsize truck is far more versatile than a car, but gives it up on mileage. Then you see the diesel Colorado...ohhhh, and think...about the same as a Suby in the mpg department, and a truck! That could be the best of both worlds....errrr...about $7-10K more than a Suby, well crap. So I look at the base WT trucks, ok... around a Suby Forester price point...bit down on power and mileage...but still checks off a lot of boxes of wants/needs for a do-it-all type vehicle. MPG is around 23-25 hwy so still not too bad in yearly fuel cost compared to something that gets low 30ish.

Wifes commute is nearly the same as yours. Plugin Ford Fusion 75mpg winters 80-86mpg summers charged at both ends of the commute. About $2 per charge in expensive CA. Miles like that get a commuter car. Far cheaper and less to maintain.

Run the trooper till its junked. Then get a used truck ;-)

Clutch

<---Pass
Wifes commute is nearly the same as yours. Plugin Ford Fusion 75mpg winters 80-86mpg summers charged at both ends of the commute. About $2 per charge in expensive CA. Miles like that get a commuter car. Far cheaper and less to maintain.

Run the trooper till its junked. Then get a used truck ;-)

Great mileage! Those start at what $33K? It's the same issue like the diesel Colorado...it doesn't save me any money. Better off buying a Civic that gets 40 mpg for under $20K. The price difference buys 16 years of fuel for the Civic, that is if I only use it for commuting. Even though the Fusion gets stellar mileage still have to put fuel into it and pay electric on top of the $33K.

That and can't see buying something that I use solely for commuting, which I already have one of those if I wanted to...the Trooper, that I quite literally paid a dollar for. She mainly drives it, because I don't like automatic transmissions. The Fusion could run off of free energy and pixie dust ...I'll be dead before I could recoup the money spent on that, compared to what I have into the Trooper, which is $1+$300 in repairs so far, and a set of $500 snow tires. Will have to buy another set of summer tires here in 4 weeks, which will be $500-600. We put a whole 1500 miles on it last year, about the only time we use it is in the winter, when the weather is nice she rides her bicycle to work and grocery shopping otherwise. Think we acquired it 5 years ago...and so far including purchase we have spent a total of $1401.00 not including gas and oil.

Buying a new car doesn't really solve any problems, only drains the bank account...probably see why I am so resistant to buy anything. Once you pay a buck for a vehicle...well.... :D

It is in great condition, it still looks like this.

397883_10150594686809630_819463804_n.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter

Man, I'll admit, the power of boost was a factor when I got my truck. Sure, I could have been fine driving a N/A 3.5L V6, but that extra kick is pretty nice every now and then.

p nut

butter

I looked into stripped down fleet vehicles myself. But they weren't cheap, surprisingly. I was getting quotes at $30k. For bare-bones nothing, XL model. That's only $6k less than what I paid with a good amount of options. Didn't make sense for me, especially considering how those extras made the rest of the family happy and safe.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great mileage! Those start at what $33K? It's the same issue like the diesel Colorado...it doesn't save me any money. Better off buying a Civic that gets 40 mpg for under $20K. The price difference buys 16 years of fuel for the Civic, that is if I only use it for commuting. Even though the Fusion gets stellar mileage still have to put fuel into it and pay electric on top of the $33K.

That and can't see buying something that I use solely for commuting, which I already have one of those if I wanted to...the Trooper, that I quite literally paid a dollar for. She mainly drives it, because I don't like automatic transmissions. The Fusion could run off of free energy and pixie dust ...I'll be dead before I could recoup the money spent on that, compared to what I have into the Trooper, which is $1+$300 in repairs so far, and a set of $500 snow tires. Will have to buy another set of summer tires here in 4 weeks, which will be $500-600. We put a whole 1500 miles on it last year, about the only time we use it is in the winter, when the weather is nice she rides her bicycle to work and grocery shopping otherwise. Think we acquired it 5 years ago...and so far including purchase we have spent a total of $1401.00 not including gas and oil.

Buying a new car doesn't really solve any problems, only drains the bank account...probably see why I am so resistant to buy anything. Once you pay a buck for a vehicle...well.... :D

It is in great condition, it still looks like this.

View attachment 388876
Yep. Wife needed a executive level ride that was also quiet enough to take calls on the road. The big win was the HOV lane sticker. Oh and $7000 in tax credit back ;-). I hate leaving free gov money on the table. Ha ha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online