Who's still running both a CB and HAM

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Excuse my ignorance, but are there units that combine both CB and 2M, so you only have to run one?

I don't think such radios exist, or at least I've never seen one if they do.

Wouldn't be legal, at least not in the US. IIRC, all CB radios have to be "type accepted" and there are no type accepted CBs that also talk on other freq's.

The CB range (11m, around 27Mhz) is pretty far from the 2m range anyway (146 - 148 MhZ.) Also CB is AM, whereas most 2m comms are done on FM (though isn't there a small segment of 2m that is set aside for AM/SSB and/or CW?)

I have seen multi-band radios that can do everything from 10m all the way up to UHF frequencies. I guess one of those could probably be used on the CB frequencies but they're expensive as hell and it would be illegal.

xtatik

Explorer
Excuse my ignorance, but are there units that combine both CB and 2M, so you only have to run one?

No, would be illegal in any case. Additionally, the units that are talked about here and are often inappropriately called "ham mobiles", are actually 2m, 2m/70cm FM or frequency modulated radios. Most often referred to as "2m radios" or "dualband FM" radios. CB's are AM or amplitude modulated.
Some "ham mobiles" :)snorkel:) do have AM capabilities in addition to many other modes for use in the allocated amateur radio (ham) spectrum, but they cannot operate in the allocated CB spectrum. They are usually referred to as "multi-band" or "HF radios" as most of the mobile HF mobile radios offered today combine multi-bands (70cm, 2m, 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 60m, 75/80m, 160m and more) and multi-modes (AM, FM, USB, LSB, CW and more).

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It's illegal as others have said (to transmit on CB freq's), but you CAN dial in CB and FRS (or is it GMRS?) freq's and receive signals on those channels, but you cannot transmit.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
My friends are too lazy to take the test for the ham license.

So now I'm running the trifecta of ham, CB, and FRS. The worst part is when I have to serve as relay since I have all three. A job better suited for my co-driver when I have one.

x2. Oh man, juggling 3 mics is fun! :D

gary in ohio

Explorer
NO there is no radio that can do both. First the they are different radio services, second CB is AM or SSB modulated, 2M is primary FM, but some folks do use SSB, While legal AM is almost never found on 2M.

While there are no rules that would stop a manufacture from building one, the market would be so small it wouldn't be economical .

Tennmogger

Explorer
With two mikes it's easier to remember to NOT say '10-4 good buddy' on the 2 meter!! And it's equally embarrassing to give your ham callsign on CB.

Bob

NO there is no radio that can do both. F:oops:irst the they are different radio services, second CB is AM or SSB modulated, 2M is primary FM, but some folks do use SSB, While legal AM is almost never found on 2M.

While there are no rules that would stop a manufacture from building one, the market would be so small it wouldn't be economical .

KA5IVR

Observer
NO there is no radio that can do both.

Actually there are, but they are over $1,200 to buy. For that much, it is way cheaper to just buy two radios for CB & 2 Meters. But note, even though the radio could be set up to transmit on the CB band too, it is not illegal to do.

tperkins

Observer
It's illegal as others have said (to transmit on CB freq's), but you CAN dial in CB and FRS (or is it GMRS?) freq's and receive signals on those channels, but you cannot transmit.

FRS and GMRS can be entered on most wide-receive 2m/70cm radios, but I think since CB is in the 26-27mhz range, you would need an HF or Tri-Band to listen to the CB bands. FRS and GMRS are around the 460mhz range,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears