XJ Unibody - strong enough to "camperize"

CLynn85

Explorer
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while and wanted to get some others to weigh in on.

We've been looking to do a dedicated travel setup, the RTT is fine for short trips but for long trips we like more of a live-in than live-around camper.

That being said the wife-to-be has an 01 cherokee that's soon to be retired as a DD, and that's got me thinking.

I really like the popup campers that you see from the other side of the pond commonly, similar to this one: http://www.ronaldbrunner.ch/projekte/hdj100.htm , and it makes me think what it would take to do a similar conversion on the XJ. It does have some of the most substantial subframe "rails" I've seen of any unibody, and there are numerous truck conversions already out there, so my thought is that only mild reinforcement would be necessary for taking a square section out of the roof to open up the interior. Possibly a square box tube frame around the perimeter of the hole with some supports going down the b & c-pillars.

Doing the foldaway bed base would open up the standing height to allow installation of a sink/range top, with slide-out engle underneath, and a bench seat on the opposing side.

Opinions?

Take a look at this thread for an idea of how you can reinforce the roof an XJ (warning lots of pictures)

Phase 1: XJ roof reinforcement

The purpose is different, but I believe it would fit your needs perfectly. In fact, I thought about doing the same as you after I realized how well it reinforces the roof.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
How much and how hard would you be driving it off road? What would the be overall dinemsions of the hole you'd want to cut?

There are also some pretty cheap and effective ways to stiffen up the "Uni-frame," should it prove an issue.

-----Matt-----

2drx4

Adventurer
Go for it. People think the roof is way more structeral then it actually is. A cherokee is not what I would like to call a 'unibody'. I do refrain from calling it one. I prefer 'uniframe'. The majority of the strength is still in the frame rails (yes, they are frame rails) and the floor. The roof does do something to stiffen it up - but the majority of that comes from the pillars (duh) and the edging around the perimeter of the roof (I can't think of the proper technical term for that). The roof skin itself does very little for anything, save keeping rain out... Where you'd be cutting to install such a pop-up would leave the critical areas intact. And the factory cross braces do very little - often in old XJs you will find they have become debonded from the roof and you can easily make them deflect about an inch by hand.

L8 APEKS

Observer
I think it's strong enough...but I don't think it's anywhere near BIG enough. My Volvo sedan has more interior space than my XJ.

PS, it's a unibody. My 1990 VW Golf and 1995 Volvo has the same "frame rails", as do most unibody cars.

mstrkage

you absolutely must reinforce the unibody if you cut a large hole in the roof. The unibody on the cherokees are not that substantial and flex alot with the roof still attached.
But I don't think you need to get to indepth with reinforcement. Some stiffeners along the unirail and i think the idea of a halo may work.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
L8 APEKS said:
I think it's strong enough...but I don't think it's anywhere near BIG enough. My Volvo sedan has more interior space than my XJ.

PS, it's a unibody. My 1990 VW Golf and 1995 Volvo has the same "frame rails", as do most unibody cars.

x2 I dont think even the landcruiser in the link is big enough for that kind of conversion.
The fisheye lens makes it look roomy.
I think the interior would be big enough for sleeping or sheltering in ,but not cooking and eating.

biere

Observer
I always wondered if the commanche pickup had major differences from the cherokee to turn it into a pickup.

Some of the serious off roaders who are really pushing their jeeps should have some posts about what is really needed to stiffen up the jeep and I would start there.

I think it will boil down to how hard you want to off road it after the modifications.

XJINTX

Explorer
Just an addition to what has already been said. Ask anybody that actually trails their XJ and they will have issues with their rear hatch opening and closeing... it becomes a science in itself :(

I sure would not want to remove my roof... reinforced or not.

It seems that either I'm not understanding the OP comment or everyone else is not?? He simply wan't to add a VW type pop-top no? Perhaps with some kitchen type items in the cargo/rear seating area?? Do either of these things require removing the entire roof?

I will say that the hatch thing is a hassel on trailed XJ's if you don't run frame stiffeners. For the purposes mentioned, I would stiffen the frame from bumper to bumper, which I don't think you can buy as a kit, you would probably have to fabricate the portion from the C pillar back to the rear bumper.

Anyway, I belive it could be done so long as the trails driven afterwards remained relatively mild.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Backwoods Rambler said:
For the purposes mentioned, I would stiffen the frame from bumper to bumper, which I don't think you can buy as a kit, you would probably have to fabricate the portion from the C pillar back to the rear bumper.

Agree.

There are four vendors selling frame rail stiffeners now. If I can remember, T&J, TNT, HD Engineering.

There is a fourth company that makes an interesting stiffener that is a Z shape and welds into the floor on the outside of the unirails as well as going farther forward than the others. IIRC it goes to somewhere up the front "horns" to about midway behind the front tire. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the company that makes it. I saw it at NAXJA relatively recently (last few months).

To my knowledge no "kit" will go behind the rear front leaf spring hanger.

There is also another company that sells plates to stiffen the front frame horns. Again, can't remember the name of the company.

I'm really curious if a Westy style top can fit on an XJ. It's an interesting idea. The XJ is soo small though... I dunno. Those setups looks small on the FJ80s and UZJ100s in the link.

I think you will still be stuck with a "live around" vehicle if you base it on a XJ. I think in terms of practicality a trailer would be a better setup. Or, a built Comanche with a slide in camper and/or trailer.

$0.02

jh504

Explorer
Being that you are removing a portion of the roof I would brace the rails in some way, but I do not believe it would take a massive amount of bracing. An inner angle set to run lengthwise down the rails and then two crossmembers connecting it at the ends along with the t case mount would probably be sufficient and even offer more stability than a conventional frame vehicle.

Last edited:

IH8RDS

Explorer
The roof topper conversion has been done before. I think it would be pretty neat to have one of these mildly lifted and decked out.

Attachments

• Cherokee_van.jpg
    Cherokee_van.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,272
  • XJ_high_roof.jpg
    XJ_high_roof.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,276

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78