XP Camper

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Marc - I'm not the only one who'd like to get a look at V.2. All I saw in the Expo post was one outside shot...any way you could give us a peek? Peter

Yes, and that pic looked like it was from about 100 yards away, no zoom. lol

It would be great to get some closer pics of the new unit, along with the details of what updates and changes you have made. Every once and a while I go onto the site hoping to see new pics, but I'm not disappointed just to look through the old ones. :D

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam
What changed?
Not much; that's the whole idea.

The 2nd came in at 600LBS as a fully functional shell.
The hydraulic jacks are made out of Aluminum and weigh 8 lbs each. All jacks are set up in series and work like a charm via a remote control.
They also can be field stripped pretty easily and repaired if necessary. All units come with an extra set of gaskets and other necessary parts in case of failure.

I also created a wire harness and all wires and cables run through a conduit. In case of a bad wire; or you need to add one; you can replace it by using a string; which is already there.

The interior now has all molded parts; which makes the unit lighter and stronger.

I now use some really cool remote controlled lights in the rear of the camper.
You can point them where you want and makes parking at night a breeze.

That's about all the changes I made. Have to say the, prototype was nearly perfect! :sombrero:

BackXP2top.jpg

RearXP2light.jpg

Flatbed1.jpg

Marc

Last edited:

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam
Marc,

It looks like you swapped out wheels. Did you goto some different tires also? Size?

I'm curious as to how thick the hard walls are and are they a foam-cored material?

This thing is rad!

Thanks
-Chris

Thanks Chris.

The tires are 285/75/17 Toyos MT.
The best tires I ever had.
I ran procomp's before and managed to destroy 2 of them with in a few trips.
Those toyos seem to go for ever; handle great and I NEVER had failure with them yet.

The walls are 1.5 ". and they are foam cored.
There is NO frame used in this process.
All the "furniture" are 1/2 inch foam cored material.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hope everybody had a fun time at the Overland Expo.
It was really great to meet so many of you in person.
It was great meeting you, Marc.

I think I might talk to the bank; I was very impressed by your achievement and it matches the dream-build that's been in my head for a while.
Except yours actually works.

From Overland Expo 2010
XPCamperOX-2010.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Hooray! Marc Wassmann is now taking orders for the production version of the XPCamper. The web site has been updated with photos, options and prices. See http://www.xpcamper.com

xpcamper-dunes.jpg

The web site shows several sample configurations, ranging from $23.5K for the unfinished shell (including the pop-up roof, entry door, windows, bathroom and pre-wiring for lights) up to $59K "fully loaded." These prices do not include the truck or the flatbed (tray) that the camper rests on.

The production schedule takes 3 to 5 months. 20% down is required to secure your spot in the schedule. See the web site for more details.

If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Univers,San-Serif]

[/FONT]

haven

Expedition Leader
The XPCamper web site indicates that they won't install the camper onto a truck unless it's rated to carry about 2000 lbs of cargo. In general, this means an F250, Chevy 2500 or Dodge 2500, though some 1500 series trucks can be optioned to carry 2000 lbs. (Translation: Power Wagon yes, Raptor no.)

XPCamper wants to be sure you won't be overloaded. I think this is a wise policy, both in terms of customer safety and to reduce the company's exposure to liability.

haven

Expedition Leader
One unusual item on the options sheet is a fuel cell to generate electricity. This is definitely a product I want to learn more about.

I presume the feedstock for the fuel cell is methanol, rather than hydrogen. The byproduct of the reaction is water and carbon dioxide, which are a lot more environmentally friendly than the exhaust gas from a gasoline or diesel powered generator. Even a propane-powered generator produces polluting combustion byproducts.

bat

Explorer
At $50,000 that is alot of money for a camper no matter how cool it looks which it does. My second concern would be the truck you have to mount it on, with the camper being so long you would have to use a crew cab full size truck to make it look right or have this big overhang. That is going to be a big truck setup for any off highway camping.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mid-size trucks aren't stout enough to meet the 2000 lb carrying capacity recommendation. So we're talking full size trucks here.

The 2010 crew cab 2500 pickups come in two wheelbases: Short (about 150) and long (about 165). The exact numbers vary with the manufacturer.

For the short wheelbase trucks, the distance from the back of the crew cab to the axle is about 40 inches. Long wheelbase cab to axle is 55 inches, more or less.

The flatbed on the XPCamper prototype is about 100 inches in length. The Hemi powered Dodge Power Wagon is available only with the short wheelbase, 149 inches, and cab-to-axle of 40 inches. Personally, I'd choose the longer wheelbase to reduce the rear overhang (and to be able to have the Cummins diesel).

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Marc has mentioned to me that it would be possible to get a more custom length if the buyer is willing to pay for it.
Each unit produced is going to have some sort of customization to it, so having a custom length model probably won't be that hard for the company to make.

I am VERY curious about the fuel cell also since with the latest press release and the updates to his website, this is the first I've heard from Marc about this option.

MARC -- TELL US MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE FUEL CELL!! :D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you can't wait this long, the XPCamper prototype is for sale. Update: The Prototype 1.1, shell only, is for sale for $14,500.
Ummmm, who wants to buy a 2008 JK with Conqueror Compact combo?

wife and dog not included in purchase
198.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman