Xtreme 4x4 Expedition Jeep Grand Cherokee

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
All I saw was a link to a stock WJ that they are putting some crappy parts on, 4.88 gears in a d30 and d35 is about as dumb as it gets, not to mention the crusty's lift.

TRegasaurus

Adventurer
I think if they really wanted to emulate the overland scene, perhaps they should have used a Wranger, or 4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ, or Land Rover. Sorry if I don't list them all, but a Jeep Cherokee?
They said you wouldn't wan to pull the trailer behind a Wrangler. It's a small trailer, why not.
They also always seem to gravitate to Rusty's for anything Jeep.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
They have agreements with company who pay advertising. When you get stuff for free there is little question that you will use the Product. My Buddy Kyle use to own Copperhead Fab and X4x4 always used his weld on bead lock back in the day. It cost him a penny but the advertising was great.

Last edited:

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I don't have a problem with the products themselves, but is a 6.5" and 4.88s (not to mention on the stock axles) the best approach? Then pulling the engine to swap ? I think it's a bit overbuilt, personally. I think there's a lot to be said about something that can be serviced more easily?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We are supposed to be featured on that build as well according to Ian. Sent them Trasharoo's a while back.

Bumzo1

I think if they really wanted to emulate the overland scene, perhaps they should have used a Wranger, or 4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ, or Land Rover. Sorry if I don't list them all, but a Jeep Cherokee?
They said you wouldn't wan to pull the trailer behind a Wrangler. It's a small trailer, why not.
They also always seem to gravitate to Rusty's for anything Jeep.

What do you have against the Grand Cherokee? They make great overland vehicles, the older models have solid axles front and rear, and the newer ones can come from the factory with front and rear ELSDs that work extremely well.

IMHO it is very easy to build a "expedition" vehicle when that is your job and you can use OPM. As it stands right now the "build" stands around 8K. My guess is the project will run about 20-24K before the "payoff" episode and it will problably never see the trail again. That is the nature of the beast with a TV truck. at least they keep them in the garage now instead of sending them to the cursher like the did with the early "Trucks" builds. However nice it becomes it will not impress me as much as what I see here being created slowly over the years as the result of members thrift and creative enginering, Stump's XJ is one of the first that comes to mind. As an XJ owner I WILL admit my self interest is hanging out about 3 yards when it comes to that platform. There are probably another 6 dozen here on this that are just as worthy. That being said I will watch every episode with great interest to see what they will come up with

Bob

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I finally watched the video and it only confirmed that those guys are complete idiots! ****** are they thinking running 4.88 gears with 33's, do they not realize the engine will cruise at around 3k rpm with that setup? Sure, let's make our gas mileage even worse and increase vibration in our expedition rig....

sewerdigger

Observer
We're on T.V.!!

That is my red Jeep TJ and my biz partner's kahki Jeep TJ at the beginning of the show.

1:37 to about 1:50 into the broadcast. Good Stuff :wings:

A shout out to adventureduo for the Trasharoo at 1:48. :sombrero:

Todd

bldeagle10

Explorer
good show, his fabrication skills are good too, but its a show, so it is overbuilt, he isn't a guy that spends hours a day on EXPO researching everything he can to build his rig into a super reliable rig that will travel around the world, get good MPG and be capable off road, he comes from the crawler world and it shows that he is still stuck with that mentality. I feel like he is overbuilding the rig in the wrong areas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman