Your Bikes

gearguywb

Explorer
No pics at the moment...but here is the current stable:

Carl Strong custom steel roadie with Campy Chorus
Niner One9 29' SS
Turner Sultan 29er built with Sram and I9 wheels

Bikes are great!

We have had the pleasure of living in some of the best cross country mountain biking areas. Lived in Fruita, Co for a couple of years and now in Asheville, NC

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm actually from Asheville, but never rode MTB when I was there!! I'm coming home for the holidays, and plan on bringing my bike to have some fun. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Some much more recent pictures of my CX bike after this weekend's races.

To call the races just muddy is an understatement. It was starting-to-melt-snow mix of sloppy, slick, snot-like, goop that was cold and nasty. In one word, FUN! The good part was that it was mostly just slimy and not too soupy (air temp was still in the 40s), so everything was covered but it didn't work it's way into the bearings too badly. Still, my bike did not go the distance, giving up on my bell lap Sunday. The left crank arm decided it had enough and was out of here. I nursed it for a lap and half, but it was not gonna make it and I had to pull from the race rather than risk complete bike melt down. New cranks are not in the cards right now, so since I'm not competing for, well, anything, I decided to bag it. Sucks because it I could have made it just another 5 minutes, I could have run the rest of the lap, but the crank came off about 20% through the lap and, due to a first lap fall (Superman-style slide!), I was off the back (but not yet lapped!) anyway.

None-the-less, FSA used steel for the crank axle, so the drive side and axle are OK. The left crank arm had some very slight spline damage, but about 30 seconds with a file fixed that. The tensioning cap was not happy, several goobered threads that took me about 30 minutes with a flat file, thread file and dental pick to get cleaned up. Even then I was cutting threads a little at the end as I test fit everything. Yikes! But with a new o-ring, some liberal use of WD40 (there was a lot of mud and water) and grease, I should be able to limp through the last two weeks of the season. The left side bottom bracket bearing has obvious side-to-side play, but I think when I snug everything back up they should hold up. Sucks because I didn't get to ride into work yesterday or today and wouldn't you know, the weather is gonna turn tomorrow. Doh!

View attachment 12620 View attachment 12621 View attachment 12622

7wt

Expedition Leader
Kermit said:
Dave, I thought engineers made bank...:)
They design them :shakin:

When I get to where I am going I will post up some pics of my high school sweet heart, a 1993 Klein Rascal with XTR and some other goodies. It has been in the folk's shed since college. It's a tiime piece.

Clutch

<---Pass
7wt said:
When I get to where I am going I will post up some pics of my high school sweet heart, a 1993 Klein Rascal with XTR and some other goodies. It has been in the folk's shed since college. It's a tiime piece.

Is it hot pink? :D

7wt

Expedition Leader
No, it's Expedition Red! The year I bought mine they had a moon rise ogrange/blue and a moon rise blue/pink. I went with the conservative redish one because that's how I roll.

Clutch

<---Pass
7wt:

I never owned a Klein, I do remember them being extremely bright! One of my friends has one set up as a single speed, I think it is green, yellow, and hot pink. (sorry I don't know what model it is)

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I had a Klein "Top Gun" in 1990. I kitted it with Suntour XC Pro micro drive in '91 and loved that baby. Loved it right up to the day in July '91 when the fancy color matched Klein bar/stem ripped open like a beer can and put my smiling face in the dirt. I got to walk 7 miles down to the base of Winter Park ski area with a seperated shoulder. Never rode that bike again.

I sent the bar/stem to Klein. I got a nice letter from Gary explaining how he wasn't responsible for such failures. Okay. :(

DaveInDenver

Flounder said:
I had a Klein "Top Gun" in 1990.
Yours was an actual Top Gun? Cool. I was just starting at the shop back then (this would have been about 1990/91-ish) and we sold Klein. The rep told us that Klein got sued for using the name in his 1989 lineup, since Paramount owned the movie by the same name (which was from 1986, so it definitely pre-dated Klein's bike). He had to change the name for 1990 and so we'd only gotten a couple of Top Guns (they had one still when I started, it was painted red, white & blue) and got mostly Rascals. If you still have that bike I believe it's fairly valuable. The 1989 Top Gun Browning had Suntour and the Top Gun XT had Shimano parts, if memory serves. Even though the Mission Control bar/stem was a problem early on, old Kleins are pretty cool. I'd always wanted Adroit, but then again who didn't?

Clutch

<---Pass
Flounder said:
... fancy color matched Klein bar/stem ripped open like a beer can ...... :(

KleinAttBars1.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Yours was an actual Top Gun? Cool.

Even though the Mission Control bar/stem was a problem early on, old Kleins are pretty cool. I'd always wanted Adroit, but then again who didn't?
Mine was indeed a red, white and blue Top Gun. For some reason it sat in our shop for a year (frame/fork only) before I finally nabbed it. I do wish I had kept it. It had Scott "self energizing" brakes, aka death brakes. I had a nifty Ringle seat post, campy mt rims, and I really think I might have had Kooka cranks on it for a while or some other weirdness. You knew the drill...anodyze it a funky color and it sold to dorks like me working in shops. I sold that bike for peanuts and bought a Ti Fisher. Junk.

The only bike I kept from that era is my Kestral 4000 from about '88.

Just seeing a picture of that bar/stem creeps me out. Mission Control....HA! More like "Houston, we have a problem..."

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
My one and only bike is a dark green 1993 Specialized Stump Jumper with no suspension whatsoever. A friend has a new one which has suspension at both ends and disk brakes. Times really have changed!

Cheers,
Graham

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I raced in the NORBA circuit back in the days. Oldschool GT Zazkar hard tail. Like first debut of the "gold" Rock Shox.
bigbearbikeracing1eg2.jpg

Then, I raced this to the local 7 eleven and almost stubbed my toe.
davebikerq5.jpg

After that i gave up racing and I tried riding this standing up after a few beers, didn't work out so well.
scissorbikeda8.jpg

I now own a OCLV Trek Fuel full suspension that sees more carpet than dirt.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

A buddy of mine sent me some photos of Sunday's race. Got my bike reassembled last night, but I will have to take it partially apart again, I noticed I forgot to put a couple of minor things on when I was wrenching. Just a spacer and an o-ring, but seeing as it's probably gonna be muddy again for this weekend's races, I need to try to keep it sealed as much as possible! Probably won't hurt to pack some grease into a few more places to prevent water and mud intrusion, either.

View attachment 12753

View attachment 12754

View attachment 12755

View attachment 12756

Last edited:

TD64

Adventurer
I don't race all that much, but when I do, I like to race on my Seven Sola Single Speed.

I have gotten more into epic trips, doing team 24hr races, going to and helping to put on mountain bike gatherings (SSSSS 2005).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior