01-04 Tacoma Double Cab

climber-420

Adventurer
I actually considered trading(fair and square), and they said it would actually be ok to do so(I have a 2004 Ext Cab TRD, 92,000miles) for the one I just posted^ above. I went and drove it. 2004 EXPO WHITE Double cab, with 123,*** mileage, camper shell, ladder rack, etc TRD........not a bad deal. It's on consignment, 1 owner, and the Salesman said he could be talked down. I drive past it everyday to work.

longtrail

thanks for the warm welcome! I've become a huge fan of the site.

Kermit- I wrestled with the idea of swapping trucks for a long time. I almost bought a full size pickup to tow my fj40. It really came down to taking advantage of a great opportunity that presented itself. I found a great deal on the '02 Tacoma and at the same time had a friend at work that was interested in buying my '06. This also freed up some cash to buy some goodies (ome lift and bfgoodrichs) for the truck and do a semi expo style trip cross country :sombrero: I will say though, as a family of four, we do sometimes miss the extra cab space and comfy seats of the gen2.

to the OP- I can relate to the difficulty in finding gen1 Tacoma's. When I purchased the gen2 that I had I was shopping for a gen1 and not having any luck. All I could find were high mileage ones that I felt were over priced. I stumbled across the '06 with low mileage at a good price, jumped on it, and it served us well for over three years. The prices on some of the gen1's were almost as much as the gen2's and I couldn't bring myself to pay just as much for an older truck with higher mileage.
Not sure how helpful any of this is for you...but good luck with your search!
by the way, I wouldn't hesitate to low ball the hell out of a dealership, their markup is nuts! they probably gave half of what they are asking for that tacoma if its a trade-in

Willman

I have a 01' Double....I paid $18,500 back in 2005 with 42K on the clock. This is interesting thread.

I know a lot of people in your same shoes that gave up looking for a good used truck and bought new.

Wish you the best!

FYI - I love my truck. It has been the best purchase i have ever made in the rig department.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Willman, I agree this is interesting. I paid $19,900 in 2005 for my 02 with 42k. It was a lease return, super clean and I was happy. And I agree, it has proven to be the best rig purchase so far.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Like it has been mentioned, the price is too high.... Only way it would be that high, is if you lived in Alaska or Hawaii.
It really should be In the mid teens... Say 15,000 for.a very good conditioned 2004 Non TRD Limited
But things to look for...was the water pump replaced around 100k.
Was all recall issues fixed or reviewed by a Toyota dealer?
Was the frame, spare tire lifter, seat belt anchor bolt, lower ball joint...examined?

Check to see if the frame is bent under the bed....this is a common issue for trucks that either have a tire carrier on the bumper or been off roading really hard.

Afdfiremedic

I really appreciate all the insight and help with my query. I've decided to pass on the rig and to continue my search. I'm still amazed at the prices of these DC Tacomas here in the PNW. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy a lower mile LC 100 or even a LR3 than a Tacoma. Once again thanks for all the input. The search continues..........

Last edited:

Sticks96

Keep your head on a swivel and you'll find the right one. I paid $3,000 for this 01 dcab back in February. She's no beauty queen and has 230,000 miles on the ticker but its hard to buy a decent ATV for that kinda money anymore.image.jpg
image.jpg

austintaco

Explorer
2004 DC TRD 4x4 on TTORA with 36,000 miles for $15K

Came across this one on TTORA. It's too far up north for me to check out, but somebody else might be able to look it over. Seems like a lightly used and modded example

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198141

2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 V6 SR5 TRD
--Very good condition overall
--Black Metallic paint; meticulously polished and waxed 2x/year; debadged
--in 2006, i removed the chrome grilled and replaced with black one
--Mudflaps are removed but I still have them
--I do not still have the stock bumpers
--Beige cloth interior
--Very low mileage (highway, city mix; no offroad, i'm embarassed to admit): 36,500 miles
--Very well maintained, original owner (bought new in TX)
-- Paint in really good condition (a few minor scratches, easily fixable dings)
--Interior in average to good condition (some lines in cloth seats from infant seat; small stain; 3" damage to floorboard cloth in back)
--Kept in garage; driven on weekends
--Donahoe Racing 2.5" coilovers in front (not extended travel); installed in 2004; retuned and newer version coils in 2006; I noticed this week that the left one has started leaking a little bit; will repair or give a small price adjustment
--Stock upper control arms
--Deaver 7-leaf pack (installed in 2004; no hauling, towing)
--Bilstein 5100s (installed in 2004)
--Demello winch bumper (installed 2006); no winch
--Demello hybrid rear bumper (installed 2006)
--Demello weld-on sliders (installed fall, 2005)
--Demello jack/CB antenna mount (jack not included)
--TRD headers (installed by dealer)
--TRD cat-back exhaust (installed by dealer); trimmed when suspension installed to prevent contact with springs
--Clifford alarm (installed professionally in 2011); 1 of the fab's needs to be replaced (dropped and stepped on it); other one is functional
--Line-X bedliner (installed in 2004); in "okay" condition--has a few scrapes and small-medium gouges
--almost zero rust on chassis, suspension components; I was anal retentive with the rustoleum once per year; only driven in snow once or twice (briefly) several years ago
--Asking $15,000, which is above the typical market value, but the mileage is VERY low for a 2004; I'm open to offers; I did not indicate a shipping price (never done it before), but something could be worked out if necessary
--Not willing to part out vehicle
--Selling because I'm interested in a more family-friendly weekend vehicle (Ie, I'm going to miss this truck badly; my first new vehicle purchase)
--email or PM with questions; I can send pics on request or give you link to my autotrader ad

List Date: 9/2/2013

For more info, click here to view the original listing: 2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD SR5 - Demello, Donahoe Equipped - North TX - VERY Low Mileage
--------------------------------------
On Sale For: $15000 + $0 Shipping

classifieds.php

--------------------------------------

Saguache

Adventurer
I've never paid more than $600 to have this work done. OP don't take $2k as a reliable estimate. I would also bet that the service department has already done this work if it was due, it's part of regularly scheduled maintenance so if they haven't it's certainly a bargaining chip.

Go and offer them $17,000 and be willing to pay $18,000 if it makes you happy. Or $16,500 and willing to pay $17,500, or whatever. They expect you to talk them down, so do it and be willing to walk away.

Just had this done last spring and I had three quotes. Admittedly there was some brake work involved. But even at $600 it doesn't come cheap and its one of those things that's going to need to be taken care as soon as possible. Get the VIN, talk to someone at Toyota. If it was done (by a certified Toyota tech) than it will be in the records for the vehicle. Regardless, I'd still have it looked at even if there is a paper trail.

JohnsD90

Holy ****! $20k for a double cab first gen taco?!?! It's not even the new body style. I have a 99 4runner 4x4, seats 5 and has a cargo area, rust free 5 speed v6 200k miles, I paid $2750 for it.

Considering how small the bed is and you can't even get the 5 speed with it, I wouldn't even bother. I would buy a clean 4Runner for $7k and get a roof rack and use the additional $13k mod/fix it, the 3.4l v6 is an excellent motor that will last hundreds of thousands of miles.

I wanted to get a Tacoma but I couldn't rationalize the "Toyota tax" on it, so I bought a 4Runner and bought my 5 speed Cummins for around 4k , and my land rover for around $5k, and I think still made it out ahead of many Tacoma owners and I now have a fun fleet of vehicles, I just cannot understand why these trucks are worth so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77