'03 Tacoma Build

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I'm thinking but it's just making my brain hurt. Something in between the 2 carriers now, that mounts to the hitch?

01tundra

Explorer
Nope, remove the center folding kayak mounts, bolt a basket directly to the Thule load bars, then have the ability to bolt short load bars across the top of the basket (when needed) to mount the existing center kayak mounts to. So her smaller boat could sit on top of the basket, maybe 4" higher than the two larger boats on each side = multi-tasking :)

Thinking about just grabbing some 1"x1"x1/8" tubing and go to town. Not sure if I want/need expanded metal on the bottom or not, but if so it would be easy to do. Could then drill the elevated side bars of the basket and make a couple load bars that attached on top with wing nuts. Then attach the two Thule kayak mounts to the cross bars.

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
Probably be easier and cheaper to build my own for sure, plus then I can build it to the exact size I need......looks like I'm not getting out the lazy route on this one.......suppose this will justify the latest spool of wire I just bought for the mig....off to AutoCAD now :)!

01tundra

Explorer
Maybe something kinda sorta like this -

rack.jpg

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
Got the heavy duty relay-style headlight harness installed last night, took about all of 10 minutes to complete. It's definitely a quality product. They included the diode and whatever else to make my high beam indicator work properly.

Their engineer was at lunch when I called last week, he returned my call within 30 minutes to get the needed info and had a custom harness at my door in under a week (for about $90).......the SUVlights.com website is still down and neither them, or Daniel Stern, have yet to return the emails I sent them over a week ago.....so those two losers can pound sand.

Susquehanna MotorSports for the win -

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=3730

I don't know how much brighter it made my headlights, but I can say they're a "whole helluva lot" brighter ;). The cool part is that if I happen to ever lose a relay, the factory headlight harness plugs are still there to simply plug directly back into the bulbs.

headlightharness.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I can still roll the bed cover up, I just have to drag it under each of the load bars when I get to them.

I'll bet you'll hardly ever roll the cover up when the racks are on. My secondary rack sits higher that yours and the cover is probably easier to use, but we seldom roll up the cover to access the bed. Of course that might be because I have a 14 year old truck monkey to crawl into the truck to retrieve stuff for me. I'm gonna miss that monkey one of these days and I have to drag my carcass up there instead.

01tundra

Explorer
I'll bet you'll hardly ever roll the cover up when the racks are on. My secondary rack sits higher that yours and the cover is probably easier to use, but we seldom roll up the cover to access the bed. Of course that might be because I have a 14 year old truck monkey to crawl into the truck to retrieve stuff for me. I'm gonna miss that monkey one of these days and I have to drag my carcass up there instead.

Yeah you're probably right. I took the rack off this past weekend because I was helping my friend with some magazine event coverage and I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to remove/install by myself. Turn the key on the four feet and the rack was off in a matter of seconds, reinstallation was just as easy.

I'm really glad I went this route, the rack will fit the bill for me.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Got the heavy duty relay-style headlight harness installed last night, took about all of 10 minutes to complete. It's definitely a quality product. They included the diode and whatever else to make my high beam indicator work properly.

Their engineer was at lunch when I called last week, he returned my call within 30 minutes to get the needed info and had a custom harness at my door in under a week (for about $90).......the SUVlights.com website is still down and neither them or that turd Daniel Stern have yet to return the emails I sent them over a week ago.....so those two losers can pound sand.

Susquehanna MotorSports for the win -

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=3730

I don't know how much brighter it made my headlights, but I can say they're a "whole helluva lot" brighter ;). The cool part is that if I happen to ever lose a relay, the factory headlight harness plugs are still there to simply plug directly back into the bulbs.

headlightharness.jpg

Really? That much of a difference, eh? hmmm....

01tundra

Explorer
The best I can tell it made a very big difference, I'll know better on the drive home from the shop tonight.
I totally expected a $90 pint of snake oil, but my response when I hit the switch was "wow" :)!
I'll report back.

jim65wagon

So how's that new relay wiring supposed to work and make brighter lights?
Even with my own truck monkey, I roll the cover up a lot. Of course my rack is a bit substantial (probably the size of your truck bed) and I tend to leave it on 3 seasons unless I need to haul something tallish. I like the easey-peasey way your new rack removes and installs....

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
To keep production costs low, manufacturers sometimes use a smaller gauge wire. I understand that the new wiring harness for the light feature a larger gauge wire, promoting the healthy flow of electrons. Not an uncommon upgrade for Land Cruisers, just hadn't considered it for the Tacoma.

jim65wagon

To keep production costs low, manufacturers sometimes use a smaller gauge wire. I understand that the new wiring harness for the light feature a larger gauge wire, promoting the healthy flow of electrons. Not an uncommon upgrade for Land Cruisers, just hadn't considered it for the Tacoma.

Gotcha....I thought it was some fancy dancy magic that I wasn't comprehending, but it's just physics.....and something to consider for the Tundra

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
It has definitely made my headlights brighter. I'm just running Phillips Xtreme Power 60/55W bulbs. I'm sure if I stepped up the bulbs they would be crazy bright, but then I would have to aim them into the ground to keep from blinding people......don't really see much sense in all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk