'03 Tacoma Build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I need new treads in the spring. Probably going with Duratracs or General Grabber AT2s myself.

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
Great thread. Be sure to post up when you decide on new tires. I'm running Duratracs with around 45k on them and will replace them early spring - waiting on that tax return! How would you say the Hankook MTs compared with the Duratracs for wet roads and noise. Have been thinking about replacing with either Hankooks or ST/Maxx when the time comes. I'm already running E's so the weight difference isn't that big of a step.

01tundra

Explorer
Great thread. Be sure to post up when you decide on new tires. I'm running Duratracs with around 45k on them and will replace them early spring - waiting on that tax return! How would you say the Hankook MTs compared with the Duratracs for wet roads and noise. Have been thinking about replacing with either Hankooks or ST/Maxx when the time comes. I'm already running E's so the weight difference isn't that big of a step.

Duratracs started off quieter than the Hankooks, but now are louder. But in fairness I sold the Tundra with about 15k-20k on the Hankooks.

Rain they seemed about the same, not sure how the Hankooks will do once they get some mileage on them, but the Duratracs are getting pretty slick in the rain.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to give the Cooper S/T Maxx's a shot next time.

Rdy2offrd88

Observer
Absolutely love the clean, yet still highly capable look. Not flashy and still gets the job done. Ready to see some pics of this thing on the trail!

sovereign

Observer
Well after noticing that my tires are wearing on the inside last week I'm guessing my alignment is out.

Here's the rub, nobody around here will do the alignment with the front Budbuilt skid plate installed, and when I remove it the truck lifts up about an 1/8". So today I'm going to pull of all three plates and give them a little trimming.....ok, maybe a lot of trimming. I would like to lighten the truck up and also allow the front end to be aligned without me having to wrestle with these heavy skid plates. I will have to give up a certain level of protection, but over the years with my old Tundra I learned through trial and error that there areas wear the level of protection can be reduced, I've just got to figure out that balance.

I'm assuming that when they align the front end, the issue is getting to the adjustment nuts at the lower A-arms, I want to make sure I trim enough in the areas needed - does anybody know of anything else that needs to be accessed when doing a front-end alignment on an ifs rig?

Remind me to not move to Tennessee. The plates are designed to allow an alignment to be done without removal.

01tundra

Explorer
Got the new 235/85R16 Cooper S/T Maxx's mounted up yesterday.

So far I like them, running at 38 psi F&R and they are slightly rougher than the Duratracs on sharp bumps on the road (like overpass transitions). Nothing that really bothers me though. If I dropped them down to35 psi like I had the Duratracs I think they would be hardly noticeable. Based on the "chart" printed by the various tire companies, I should be running somewhere between 36-38 psig to match the original P-rated tires load capacities. I chose to start at 38 psi to account for the additional weight that's been added to the truck. Someday I may do the chalk test, but I'll probably remember to do so in about 60k miles.

They are very quiet, more so than the new Duratracs we put on the FJ last week, but they're completely different vehicles and sizes. One of the biggest differences I noticed right away was the ease of steering, they also feel as though they have less rolling resistance. The weight is spec'd identical between the two (45 lbs), so I didn't gain any additional weight. They didn't appear to take much weight to balance and there's no funky pulling to the side characteristics, they track very straight.

I like them enough that I ordered the spare today. I read where it would fit in the stock location without modification, but that's not going to be the case. It may slide past the edges on the turned down tabs, but there's no way it's pulling all the way up to the cross member, unless I don't inflate it. I'll massage the turn down tabs easily to welcome the spare with open arms though. It also appears that the E-brake cable holder tab that's welded to the back of the diff will contact the spare, but that should be easy to move forward with my 3 lb rounding hammer :D

Too cold & dark to get any decent pictures -

cooper1_zps4fad74b6.jpg

cooper2_zps40f65f28.jpg

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Those are skinny!

spare should fit, but if not, just move the brackets our and redrill the mount on the crossmember.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looking good, I'm pretty certain that same tire in that same size will be my next tire purchase. Are they pretty close to 32"? They look like it.

01tundra

Explorer
Looking good, I'm pretty certain that same tire in that same size will be my next tire purchase. Are they pretty close to 32"? They look like it.

I'll have to measure them. They definitely appear to be larger than the Duratracs.

*edit - not close with the weight of the truck on them, 31-1/8" front / 31-1/4" rear.
Not quite as bad as my old KM2's were, but still short. Maybe if I throw 70-80 psi I could get them closer to 32".....

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'll have to measure them. They definitely appear to be larger than the Duratracs.

*edit - not close with the weight of the truck on them, 31-1/8" front / 31-1/4" rear.
Not quite as bad as my old KM2's were, but still short. Maybe if I throw 70-80 psi I could get them closer to 32".....

Hmmmm.... I've heard varying reports. The other guy I asked said his are 31-7/8". Interesting. Still better than what I have. My 235/85s are 30" :(

01tundra

Explorer
I used a level and tape to measure them last night with 38 psi in them. He may have been running a higher pressure?

I'm now toying with the idea of putting a shell/topper/cap/whatever on it.

It would be nice to have when hauling our products and I'd also like to come up with a sleep platform for it. I ran across a thread ealier where somebody had a custom canvas cover w/ zipper door made that covered the end of the bed with the tailgate down to buy some more leg room, looked like a fairly simply thing to build. This is the only time I really miss my '08 Tundra, the bed tent + air mattress was a sweet set up for us....

Going to start looking for a used shell. The nice part is that the Thule rack is mounted on my bed rails with towers meant for use on top of a fiberglass shell, so it will be an easy (and free) relocation project.

jim65wagon

I used a level and tape to measure them last night with 38 psi in them. He may have been running a higher pressure?
or he measured them off the truck, the weight makes a big difference i think.

The tires look good and I'm not biased at all when I say that....

01tundra

Explorer
or he measured them off the truck, the weight makes a big difference i think.

The tires look good and I'm not biased at all when I say that....

Ha, of course your not biased....you'd think your last name was cooper instead of mine :sombrero:

But I must say, you were the one that swayed my decision the most.

I used to get so bummed with KM2's on my Tundra, the 37's would measure 35-3/4".......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333

Members online