05+ Tacoma On Board Air On The Cheap

Applejack

Explorer
I think I'll be going to Costco today to see if they have any. I wonder how it compares to the Smittybilt unit. I was also thinking of trying on of them if I can't find the MV 50.

Applejack

Explorer
Now I realize that it's the same as smittybilt's little compressor. 4WP sells them for $59.99. There is also a Twin HD version for $139.99

deadbeat son

Explorer
When purchased from Costco, do these have the nylon (or cordura or whatever) carrying/storage case? I just picked up one from 4WP (due to their 15% off extended Memorial Day sale) and the case it came in is pretty nice. It all fits nicely behind the rear seat of my Tacoma.

soonenough

Explorer
When purchased from Costco, do these have the nylon (or cordura or whatever) carrying/storage case? I just picked up one from 4WP (due to their 15% off extended Memorial Day sale) and the case it came in is pretty nice. It all fits nicely behind the rear seat of my Tacoma.
Mine came with the bag from Pep Boys. Not long after buying it, the bag ripped at one of the attachment points for the clips, and then one of the clips broke, so I'd say the bag is a mediocre carrying solution at best. I've been wanting to see if the compressor would fit in a .50-cal ammo can cause I think that would be a cool way to store / carry it.

gabepari

Explorer
I have the same pump hard mounted in my Sami. Works great, used it a few weeks ago in Saline Valley. Don't know the temps, but as you can imagine it was pretty hot :sombrero: Aired up all four 31's from 8 psi to 30 psi in about 15-20 minutes or so, no overheating, just kept on pumping. However, I will soon be changing out the hose and air chuck to something more conventional.

I like it mounted under the hood, just one less thing to pack.

Gabe

pnorvell

Adventurer
Great idea! Has anyone tried this in a Land Rover? I doubt this would work in the DII engine bays but it's worth looking into. With that price I guess I could find out :victory:

Peter

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I found a ghetto-cheap workaround for the nonstandard fittings: I just sliced the yellow wire, tossed it into a brass fitting that WAS a standard size, and epoxied it to death. Once it cured fully it looked fine and didn't leak at all. I then got a standard extra long hose and a chuck of my choice and could air all four tires in the Jeep from under the hood. Carried my hose "extension cord" in the ammo can with the other recovery gear...

No pix, but in a non-a/c FSJ it fits perfectly under the heater hoses on the pass side. Unfortunately, it went away with the pickup and now I gotta buy another one for the brown beast.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I just used mine today; it worked great! It's pretty quiet too. I think when I get my Slee Sliders, I may mount it under the hood and plumb it to them as tanks. That would be handy.

Ric

Adventurer
I have heard some people have burned out the MV50s after a couple of years of use. But when you compare the $60 MV50 to a $300+ ARB system, it's probably a good tradeoff.
mine burned out after just a few times, but I got it (new) for $25, and it was way to slow at alt. so Im running CO2 now, the whole set up for $100 :victory:

the OP has it installed nice..

aaol1

Hey guys, so I know this is an ANCIENT thread lol, but im glad its still up because its what I ended up doing to mine too! I came back from an offroad trip this summer ( 2 weeks, ALOT of rattling) and I did notice something about this setup. It broke my little plastic tabs on the fuse box ( from the extra weight of the compressor , im guessing with alot of up and down motion it eventually wore them out). Anyways, not a huge deal, the hood is pretty close to the compressor so its not like its going anywhere. That being said for peace of mind, I think im going to go to the hardware store and pick one of these latches up, and try to see if I can mount it to the fuse box.

So just be aware, its a possibility that this might happen, with this setup! Ill try to update once ive done the upgrade.

26730764_10155785834010609_6879239730602677877_n.jpgCapture.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven