'07 Tacoma Budget Buildup

rovingowl said:
can you elaborate on this?

When I filled up yesterday, my odo read 239.4 miles. I put in 19.035 gallons. The odo shouldn't be recording the correct mileage due to the fact that I have larger than stock tires and they cover more ground with each revolution than the stock tires. So I did a little "figgerin" once I got home.

The stock tires (265/75R16) are a nominal 30.6". Some slight discrepancies exist due to manufacturing processes, etc., but this is the number I'm going with.

My new tires are 255/85R16, which have a nominal diameter of 33.1".

Circumference = diameter * (pi), so the circumference of my stock tires is 30.6 * (pi) = 96.1"

Circumference of new tires is 33.1" * (pi) = 104.0"

Theoretically, the odo calculates mileage by counting tire revolutions, so mounting a larger tire will record fewer odo miles compared to "real world" miles. You are traveling the same number of "real world" miles, but the odo only knows revolutions and it says you only did X number of revolutions.

To correct for the fact that I have larger tires but have not adjusted my speedometer, I made a conversion factor for the miles traveled vs. miles recorded on the odometer.

104.0 / 96.1 = 1.082 --> This means that for every revolution of my larger tires, I am covering 8.2% more ground than with my stock tires. Therefore, multiplying the mileage shown on my odometer by 8.2% should give me the actual number of miles I traveled.

239.4 * 1.082 = 259.0

259.0 / 19.035 = 13.6 miles/gal :Wow1:

Now there is talk on some of the Tacoma forums that the speedometer actually runs slow from the factory, and that lifting your truck and fitting larger tires will actually make it closer to reality, but I can only give you numbers that are based on the assumption that the speedometer is dead on with stock tires and that with stock tires the odometer measures 1 mile over exactly 5,280 ft. Such is the nature of instrument-introduced uncertainty.

Hope this helps,
Wooten

KingCrabberCurry said:
Now there is talk on some of the Tacoma forums that the speedometer actually runs slow from the factory, and that lifting your truck and fitting larger tires will actually make it closer to reality

Hmm, I am not sure how correct that is. I work at a automotive shop and after I threw on larger tires and put Coilovers and Alcan leaf packs on we put it on the dyno. When my odometer read 65mph, I was really going 68mph versus before tires and lift I was reading dead on.

Maybe they are correct, but I am going from my experience.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Mine is off now by about 3 mph with the larger tires.

I'm getting about 13mpg with all my armor, but that drops when loaded with gear...

Great writeup on the numbers there Wooten!

Rob O

Adventurer
Streakerfreak said:
Who ever said that is wrong. I work at a automotive shop and after I threw on larger tires and put Coilovers and Alcan leaf packs on we put it on the dyno. When my odometer read 65mph, I was really going 68mph versus before tires and lift I was reading dead on.

Maybe they are correct, but I am going from my experience.

FWIW, all around Chandler, AZ now are radar-based speed warnings as you approach major intersections (kind of like those trailers you see in construction zones, except these are fixed/permanent). I generally regard those things as approximate. However, since they are tied to photo radar cameras at the intersection, which will snap for red light and/or speed violations, they must be fairly accurate (i.e., calibrated to some degree). My truck was consistently clocked 2-3 mph *under* speedo reading on stock tire setup and is now spot on with the 1" larger diameter 265/70/17 BFG ATs. Most of these are 45mph zones and when my needle is dead-on at 45 the radar reading is 45 (on the new, larger tires) ... and this is regardless of location (there are literally dozens of these and I pass no fewer than three on any given trip away from the house).

It's also important to note that 2-3% variance from stock calibration is widely regarded as acceptable. In fact, the difference between a new 16/32 tread depth tire and a fully worn 2-4/32 can be 1" and cause a 2-3% difference on the same tire.

Last edited:
Rob O said:
FWIW, all around Chandler, AZ now are radar-based speed warnings as you approach major intersections (kind of like those trailers you see in construction zones, except these are fixed/permanent). I generally regard those things as approximate. However, since they are tied to photo radar cameras at the intersection, which will snap for red light and/or speed violations, they must be fairly accurate (i.e., calibrated to some degree). My truck was consistently clocked 2-3 mph *under* speedo reading and is now spot on with the 1" larger diameter 265/70/17 BFG ATs. Most of these are 45mph zones and when my needle is dead-on at 45 the radar reading is 45 ... and this is regardless of location (there are literally dozens of these and I pass no fewer than three on any given trip away from the house).

It's also important to note that 2-3% variance from stock calibration is widely regarded as acceptable. In fact, the difference between a new 16/32 tread depth tire and a full worn 2-4/32 can be 1" and cause a 2-3% difference on the same tire.

It must be truck to truck then as I was just going off of my experience.

Last edited:

gearbox

Adventurer
KingCrabberCurry said:
Now there is talk on some of the Tacoma forums that the speedometer actually runs slow from the factory, and that lifting your truck and fitting larger tires will actually make it closer to reality<snip>

FWIW, my truck was reading ~4MPH slower than actual with stock tires and ~2MPH slower than actual with 1" larger diameter tires according to my GPS.

gearbox said:
FWIW, my truck was reading ~4MPH slower than actual with stock tires and ~2MPH slower than actual with 1" larger diameter tires according to my GPS.

I guess my truck was the exception and I was wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:

greenhorn

Adventurer
speedo is dead on at 60mph with my gps. I have 265/75/16's. I always thought it was a little high on stock tires.

Okay, I've got a camping trip planned for May 3rd (Wiseman's View / Linville Gorge, NC) and my first official EXPO trip May 23rd-26th (Shoe Creek / Crabtree Falls, VA).

Wiseman's view requires about a 2 mile ride down a bumpy, hilly dirt road, but it doesn't even require a truck, let alone 4WD. Shoe creek however, is going to entail about 1.5 - 2.0 miles of fairly intense 'wheeling before we set up camp.

Linville Gorge:
http://www.linvillefalls.com/images/newLinvilleFallsFromWeb_550.jpg

Shoe Creek (Ignore the gay geocache stuff at the beginning):
http://4x4icon.com/offroad/050506_oakridge/index.htm

Here is my list of gear I'm carrying, what should go in the roof rack, what should go where in the bed and the back seat?

Gear

1 Old School Coleman Suitcase Camping Stove
3 sleeping bags & inflatable pads
2 2-person tents
2 48 gallon coolers (one for food, one for :beer:)
1 folding camp table
3 folding chairs
5 gallon gas container
2 5 gallon H20 containers
1 gallon white gas
3 medium-sized tupperware tubs for dry goods, kitchen supplies, etc.
3 backpacks
lotsa firewood
all the usual 4x4 stuff, straps, shackles, shovel, etc.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel of my truck and point it down the trail at Shoe Creek. :smiley_drive:

Any advice from the salty expo trailhands is greatly appreciated!!

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Stuff that can get wet goes outside, stuff that needs to stay dry stays inside and the firewood in the bed. :D

If not put bags over everything and stick where ya will. Oh and gas goes outside too! :beer:

Black Rat Winch?

I've been assessing my recovery needs and have decided to pursue a Black Rat Recovery Winch as the next addition to my rig.

I've read Scott's writeup of his testing (found at: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_winch.htm)

I noticed he tested the 1750 lb. winch, but do you think this is suitable for the recovery of a double cab tacoma loaded with gear? There is a 3500 lb. version available, but it is much more expensive and keeping in the spirit of the budget buildup I'd like to know if the extra money is justified. Would using a snatch block with the 1750 lb. winch give me enough oomph to move the taco, or should I spring for the big 'un?

Anyone with firsthand experience with either of these products?

Thanks for the help

:box: :box: :box:

truck029.jpg

Hmmm. What could this be?

truck028.jpg

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Giggity Giggity. :victory:

2 Wedco 20L cans, one "petrol" and one H20
Expeditionware Recovery Strap
2 ARB 3/4" Bow Shackles
20' Grade 70 Choker Chain

Forum statistics

Threads