100 Series Family Adventure Rig

fireball

Explorer
Brett - just wanted to let you know that your tidily organized aux battery setup was an inspiration! Finally got the final tidbits installed last night and finished up:

eru7ada5.jpg

e9a8y6y4.jpg

y5upyha7.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Yep, that's the one. Debated going with the full-size one but couldn't stomach the extra 200 bucks.

Incidentally, did you see my cry for wiring help? Trying to figure out how to do a three-way switch with the ground triggered courtesy lights. Need an experts help!

Bretthn

Explorer
That looks great Fireball. What dual battery management system did you go with?
As far as wiring the 3 way on off on switch for to use the factory wiring harness for the curtesy lights, it is fairly simple. Use the constant power wire that is already existing, run the ground to the switch and also run a constant ground to the switch. When switch to the courtesy light ground they will come on with the doors open, when switched to the constant ground they will come on as soon as the switch is moved that position. When switched to off, they should never come on. You can add a relay in there if there will be any significant power draw. If you want to use a lighted switch it makes it a little more difficult which is why I have not done mine yet.

RobRed

Explorer
link me to your thread fireball... OR is it in this one somewhere? I found your thread...here you go: http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/06/rear-hatch-camping-lights/

On another topic it looks like your aux battery fuse is on the wrong end... should be close to the source or in this case the main battery it's connected to. the output side to your cabin has a breaker.

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Rob, thanks for the info. I can change the wiring of the rear hatch light so that the ground is through the switch instead of power. One thing I didn't understand from your website pictures is where the ground connection is at the rear hatch. Or are you grabbing this wire at the rear passenger door?

Also, if you look closely at my photo above of the main battery you will see there is a fuse right next to the OEM fuse panel. So I've got the big zero gauge wire that runs between the batteries fused at both ends.

RobRed

Explorer
The factory courtesy light switch is a ground (all of them) The hatch has it's own switch which is what I tapped.

In my install:

- Open Hatch, camp lights come on IF the master switch is in one of it's on positions
- Open Hatch, camp lights stay off IF the master switch is in it's off position
- Open either Rear Door, camp lights come on IF the master switch is in one of it's on positions ( this is useless but it's a by product of the Toyota Courtesy light system)
- Open either Rear Door, camp lights stay off IF the master switch is in it's off position

... the key question is what type of lights are you using?

Switched power (common type) http://tlcfaq.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Camping-Lights-Positve-Trig-No-Relay.png

OR

Switched ground (less common)?

http://tlcfaq.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Camping-Lights-Ground-No-Relay.png

fireball

Explorer
Rob, I am running a National Luna 9 LED light. It has a power and ground wire, and has a switch built into the light: OFF/DIM/BRIGHT. I could just keep things simple and use the switch on the actual light, but I was looking for something a bit more elegant and well, I guess...complicated :)

Want to run it through a SPDT switch so I can have it Always ON, Always OFF, or ON with the opening of rear hatch or rear doors. I can then leave the switch on the light itself in the DIM position, and use my secondary switch to control when I want it illuminated. The thought behind needing it manually ON is to use it as a reading light when sleeping in the back of the truck. I also like the control of having it OFF most of the time since I've got the pfran LED in the OEM location that is super bright for normal everyday use.

If my feeble mind doesn't deceive me, I can wire as follows:
12V positive always on from aux fuse box to light
ground wire from middle INPUT pin of switch to the light
pin #2 "always on" of switch to constant ground wire
pin #3 "function with doors/hatch" to R-L OEM ground wire.

Could you kindly confirm this will work as intended? Thanks!

P.S. Brett sorry for muddying your build thread!

Bretthn

Explorer
2014 Thailand Autoshow

Sorry it has been a while. I don't really have anything exciting to post about the Lexus or over landing adventures. I do have some nice pictures that everyone should enjoy from Thailand and Vietnam.
Last week I was lucky enough to attend the Thailand auto show for work. It is not as big of an event as SEMA but it is pretty cool nonetheless. You are not supposed to take pictures but I managed to snap a few before I was stopped. I have always known, like everybody else, that we are unfortunate enough to miss out on the Hilux in the US. I did not know that Chevy and Ford we're ripping us off as well. All offered in diesel...

Bretthn

Explorer
Awning

Can't believe it has been so long since I have updated this thread. Not much new and no adventures lately.
I have been testing out a new awning for work. I will try to have some more updates soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online