100 Series Family Adventure Rig

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I loved reading this thread and got some great ideas for my 100 when I get one after the first of the year. Question with the adjustable suspension height does it allow you to drive in the high position or after a set speed does it automatically drop back to normal?

Bretthn

Explorer
I loved reading this thread and got some great ideas for my 100 when I get one after the first of the year. Question with the adjustable suspension height does it allow you to drive in the high position or after a set speed does it automatically drop back to normal?

Thanks Rock-Eater. You are going to love the 100.
At 19 MPH it drops back to neutral. This has not been an issue ever since the tires have never rubbed in any condition even in tight turns in low. There are modules that will allow you to lock the suspension at a set height. I believe Slee sells them. Good luck with your purchase and make sure to post some pictures when you buy.

Bretthn

Explorer
Cyclonic filter

Sitting in Thailand again and just checked pricing to buy the factory cyclonic air filter and intake plumbing for the LX. Only $60, I have seen these sold in the states for about $1000. I think I am going to get one and bring it back in my luggage. I already have a dual battery setup with AHC but I think this will give me enough space to mount an air compressor under the hood and the filtration system is also going to be much improved. Can't deny that I like it just for the cool factor either. What do you all think? Is it worth it?
My current setup.
stock filter.jpg

Setup with cyclonic filter.
cyclonic filter.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Better particulate trap than K&N and theoretically extended filter maintenance (X% of the dust particles drop out inroute around the cyclonic filter housing). AFAIK the filter is washable like the 80-Series. Whereas the OEM 100-Series is disposable.

Not sure what effect the cyclonic filter system has on vacuum, if any.

Snorkel + cyclonic = Better air intake for dusty situations?

Maybe hoser will chime in...IIRC he did some research into the cyclonic system.

Bretthn

Explorer
High output alternator

My factory alternator is getting weak at about 180,000 miles. The 2001 LX470 only had a 100 amp alternator. They bumped them up to 130 amps in 2003 but I think they use a different wiring harness. Can anyone confirm this for me? I was hoping that I could find a factory replacement that is a direct bolt in for 130-150 amps. I have heard about people attempting to put a Sequoia alternator in at 150amps I believe but there was never confirmation of it working.

I am also looking at possibly going with a DC Power Engineering alternator, either 180amp, 250 amp, or 270 amp for between $400-600. I think the 180 would probably fit my needs but I want some peoples opinions that have used these. I am also considering a mean green alternator but have not found anyone that has installed one in a 100 series and the reviews I have read on other vehicle installs seem to be poor. Also their website does not list much data on the specific alternator for the 100 series like DC does. Looking for some first hand experience. Thanks in advance.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I have the DC power 270 amp. It works fantastically. Recharges both batteries faster and easier than the stock offering. If I remember it puts out more amps at idle than the stock alternator at full blast. IMO if youre running a DBS, especially with some group 31's this is a part of that upgrade that should be a given where most folks just run a couple of big ol honking batteries and a management system and call it a day.
I did go through some issues with the toyota dealer gooning things up trying to install it which turned out to be a pricey endeavor. With that said, do the install yourself. The thread on MUD walks you through it pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online