109 Expedition rig build

Mercedesrover

Explorer
nickw said:
Jim,
Great job man, really impressive.

I am surprised nobody has asked this yet, but how the does it drive? I have been waiting to get a drive report on this thing for a year, I really want to know how the tranny/engine combo works for you.

Are you going to keep the 88" or get rid of her?

Well, I took it for a short drive this afternoon. I really need to put a few miles on it but I'm afraid I bit off more than I can chew with the 4.10s. it feels too tall to me. Of course I've driven it a total of about 4 miles so it's a bit early to say for sure but I think I see a set of 4.88s in my future.... Oh well, if that's the worst thing I find I'll consider myself lucky.

No, I'll have the 88 forever along with this truck.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
KevinNY said:
At least that is about the easiet bit to change as far as the gearing goes.

Relatively cheap and easy. Like I said, if that's the worst of it, I'm lucky. It'll take some road time to see exactly how it feels. I'll bum around town for a couple weeks before I start pulling axles.

greenmeanie

Adventurer
Jim,
If you choose to sell the 4.10s give me a shout as I can see a set in my future. I'll be pushing out 200 odd hp by the older system that hotrodders use. I'm planning on starting with a set of Rover 3.54s cause I'm cheap but can see the 4.1s being more realistic.

Cheers
Gregor

greenmeanie

Adventurer
KevinNY said:
Jim's are Toyotas not Rover R&P.

Yup,
Once I've torn that 3.54 to pieces I'll need something stronger. At the mo the idea is to start cheap and see what that ratio feels like. If I don't like the 3.54 I'm going 4.10 and doing Jim's hybrids.

I don't think the stock rover axle/diff will be strong enough for my engine and drivetrain so whatever ratio I end up with will need beefing up.

There are other possibilities but if the man chooses to put them up for sale it is not an opportunity to be wasted.

Yorker

Adventurer
KevinNY said:
At least that is about the easiet bit to change as far as the gearing goes.

Well it is either that or swap back to a regular gear ratio series transfer case- right? I think Jim is running the Ashcroft high ratio transfer case?

[For non Rover people following this thread- Land Rover didn't use a 1:1 high range ratio like most US/ Japanese manufacturers use. Rather than use a variety of R&P ratios they used a variety of underdrive high range T-Case ratios and 3.54 R&Ps(or 4.7 in the case of Series trucks). I think the Ashcroft is effectively .87:1 high range ratio vs 1.15 for the stock T case.]

Changing the R+P to 4.88s would make them the same as ~4.25 R&Ps - so that might be the way to go depending how the engine likes to run. 4.56's would give you ~3.9's. Right now I think you are around 3.57's

Awesome truck though! I'm really interested in knowing what gearing you finally end up with. Do you end up using 1st gear?

Last edited:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Took the truck for a good ride this morning....Yes, I need gears.

Just got off the phone with Marlin Crawler and now have a pair of 4.88 ring and pinions on the way. They had the cheapest price I could find on-line. When I called them they said that price was wrong but honored it all the same. Good for them. They didn't have minor install kits so those I had to get from Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Everything should be here by Thursday so I may take the day off work Friday and do this. We'll see how the week plays out.....

Yorker

Adventurer
That is awesome! I can't wait to see the truck. Hopefully you can make it to Guy Fawkes on Oct 31, Nov 1-2? Since it is a weekend earlier than I originally was told it was I can actually go!:sombrero: woo hoo!

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Good news on Guy Fawkes. We may be going to Ottawa that weekend but nothing's in stone.

By the way, two sets of 4.88s, minor install kits and gaskets including shipping were under $500. Another reason to run Toyota diffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater