Expedition Leader
Mercedesrover said:
Thanks.

Thought I'd post a before and after....

Before:

2.jpg

After:

done1.jpg
If you havent done so, you should write an article and send it to the Land Rover Owner Magazine; they are running wrecks to riches stories; not sure if LAnd Rover World is doing the same.

The transformation is just friggen AMAZING. Congratilations!

Gore Ranger

Observer
SEM paint question

Hi, Jim. Your truck is awesome! Kudos on this build! Let us know if you sell the 88"...

I have a basic question from a post way back for you: I bought a used rear housing for my RRC that has the toyota conversion already performed on it. I want to get it cleaned up and painted like you did using the SEM products. I have already cleaned it with a good degreaser and also brake cleaner, and I wire wheeled the loose rust. For all the other minor rust, did you use SEM rustmort on it or not? Do you need a primer or do you just put the gloss black with hardener down over the existing paint on the housing. These are basic questions but I do not know much about paint, and I have had bad luck with the POR15 products in the past, even following their prep instructions thoroughly. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Well, I just got back from a test drive with the 109 and the new 4.88 gears in the back. I think we have a winner. I only did about 8 miles and will let them cool off and do another 12-15 tomorrow and let them cool off again, but the feel really really good. I still need to put the gears in the front diff but I'm going to drive it around for the weekend and make sure I'm happy with it. No 4WD for a few days....

Removing the diff, pulling it apart, putting it back together and setting it up took me about 6 hours over two nights. I'm not a pro at setting diffs up and I was trying to be careful and get it right. Pinion depth was perfect with the original shim. Lucky me. Setting back-lash would have been much easier with the proper spanners but I got it done anyway. Set it a little loose at about 0.009"-0.010" but I'd rather that than noisy and hot. The pattern looks really good. I took pictures but I'm too tired to post them right now. Tomorrow.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Alright, that's about it. I did the rear diff the other night and have been driving it around for a few days and I'm happy with it. The front will get done early this week. So, for all intents and purposes this build is done! Of course, like any Land Rover this truck will never truly be done and I'm sure there will always be small things that will get added or changed over the years. I also need to build a fuel can holder for the back door and figure out something for the interior panels on the doors. But this little stuff doesn't count.

I want to thank everyone who followed this build with interest and also for your input, advice and suggestions as it was coming together. I really appreciated all of it.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from this afternoon. Thanks again to everyone! See you out on the trail.

Jim

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done4.jpg

Michael Slade

Untitled
Beautiful. Ditch the rack and it'll be even better.

But really, a very very nice build. I know you'll be very happy with it. There are many here who are very envious of a build like that...myself included.

Keep us posted on the little things...you know, the ones that aren't *quite* right? I know that you've done a lot of thinking about this, but there's bound to be little things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues